Teachers who give unsolicited advice; how to handle?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, May 5, 2012.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 5, 2012

How do you handle butt-insky colleagues, who like to butt into your business and tell you how to handle a situation, in front of other teachers, in a loud and bossy way? This has happened at lunch in at least three situations. What is the best way to handle this? I find it so incredibly annoying and unnecessary.

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

Gracefully, would be my answer.

"I'll take that into consideration." Then change the subject really quick.

The others will notice her behavior. You don't need to point it out. You don't need to make the fool of her, she already did. :whistle:

4. roxstar

roxstar Companion

May 5, 2012

agreed

The other teachers most likely feel the same way too. Maybe avoid talking about things that might elicit a response from this teacher. I've had it happen, it IS annoying.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 5, 2012

I hate that, too. If you are in a good mood, you can say, "How do you know?" Emphasis on each word equally (not, How do YOU know?!) and see if she has anything intelligent to say. Most likely she will say some experience she had with so and so student, and you can say, "Oh, he's a totally different kid."

6. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 5, 2012

I would just politely say "Thank you for your advice" and change the topic. She'll hopefully understand that you don't want her advice and just saying "thank you" isn't rude.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

I agree. You can change the topic in a polite way, and hopefully she'll take the hint.

8. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 5, 2012

You'd think that she would, but she hasn't. She tries to look like she KNOWS the solution, but she just reiterates what the more senior teacher just said, only louder and in my face. She's young and thick headed. At the moment I can hardly look at her, I'm so annoyed. Just constant prattle and putting in her two cents whether it's warranted or not. UGH! I need some peace at my lunch break, not constant yammering and butting in.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

????

So, to join the conversation when you are in a group, she agrees with the senior teacher by repeating the same advice. She happens to be loud and has trouble with personal space. Is this right?

That is really different from what I first thought by your initial description.

10. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

May 6, 2012

I think you could just say thank you and move on. But I also am curious what type of situations you are bringing up at lunch really aren't suitable if the goal is a peaceful lunch? Personally, I think conversations about difficult kids, situations or classes are meant for a more private space with a few close colleagues.

11. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 6, 2012

I have a way of saying "Ah" that gets the job done, but I don't know how to type it.