Teachers who get mad that your kids are too prepared!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pattie, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 1, 2007

I had a teacher last week in the next grade up come to me and tell me that the kids in my class knew the whole pretest that she was going to give to see where to go from there. She said I shouldn't have taught them everything! Can you believe that? I went home and told my husband. He said, "You mean she was upset because they are too prepared for the next grade?" Does anybody else have to deal with this kind of stuff? It is kind of ridiculous! I didn't even know how to respond. Is this common? :woot:

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 1, 2007

Uh, NO! What an idiot!

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 1, 2007

I haven't dealt with this specifically, but at my school we really do a lot of differentiation, so I have kids at all levels. My best spellers and readers are ready for Greek and Latin roots, but I had tried to not do it with advanced spellers in previous years so they could do it in 5th and 6th grade. This year, I can't hold some of the back any more... so we will do them. Oh well!

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 1, 2007

So... that's one less thing the teacher has to cover from scratch. She should be THANKING YOU!! How do you respond to a child who wants to go above and beyond the grade level standards? "Sorry student. You'll cover that next year. You are not supposed to know that yet." Sounds strange to me!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2007

I have never heard of a teacher being upset because the students were actually prepared for the grade. Who knew?

7. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 1, 2007

Yeah, my thoughts exactly!

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2007

You don't think that was her humor? She may have been paying you a compliment......in an odd sort of way. Just a thought. I say this because I've known teachers like that.....who say things that sound really negative, but think they are being humorous. :rolleyes: Maybe she is one of those??

9. smalltowngal

Oct 1, 2007

Ok, Miss Pattie, now don't do your job so well because I don't want the students to be prepared for me next year.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2007

I wish I had that problem

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2007

Ok Maybe she had been told that the students would be below grade level and she spent the summer lesson planning for low students now she has to re-lesson plan for the above grade level kids
    I tried to plan all summer and my assignment was changed 3 or 4 times.

Just a thought.

12. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Oct 1, 2007

I dont have a problem with kids being too prepared if they have actually mastered the material, but I do have a problem when the lower grades push kids too fast and too far and then the parents are upset when they reach 4th grade and I have to bump everything back to focus on mastery of skills.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2007

Something like it happens all the time - try asking any kid up till about 2000 who was reading before kindergarten.

14. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2007

We always talk with the grade level above and ask what they really want the kids to know--other than the curriculum. Most of the time they want the children to be able to know how to head their paper and they wanted more fluency on their math facts.
    We wanted (from the kindergarten) correct letter formation and letter sounds.

We are a team. The grade above said that if the children come to them more prepared, the better for all!!!

15. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 2, 2007

But it is annoying when the grade below uses the texts (novels, readers etc) meant for your grade.

Still, I'd love to have my kids know their stuff so well that they blitzed the pre-tests next grade up.

16. smalltowngal

Oct 2, 2007

I was one of those students.

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 2, 2007

Sometimes you just can't hold them back! One teacher gave me this advice when I had a truly advanced student: enrich the grade level information rather than bump them up to higher grade level learning. But sometimes they are just chafing at the bit to learn something and you just have to let them run. However, I can't imagine being upset about getting a class that was too prepared - hopefully she was being dry humored! Getting that kind of class is a dream to me - just think of all the great activities you could do if a class came in already knowing their basics for that grade!! How exciting - and keeps the teacher on her toes for sure.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 2, 2007

Cool avatar, ozteach! I love Jane too!

I can't imagine what I would do if I got a class that was ahead of the game. I would probably be doing backflips. I have had eager groups and apathetic groups, some kids above and some kids below where they need to be. But never have I had a group that was passing pretests! That would be a dream. I could do so many more things with them.

19. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2007

Oh totally! I never do anything the second grade teachers do or any other teacher in the building for that matter. I know that lots of teachers creatively "borrow" from one another, but you can't do that to the teachers in your building. save it for if you are ever in a different building!!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 2, 2007

Maybe she doesn't want to worry about her student being bored to death because she can't come up with enrichment in time.

Personally I think it is great.

21. smithf1

smithf1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2007

Too prepared?

Is there any such thing?

I have a problem with the previous grade teachers teaching my curriculum only to neglect their own. When I present a topic 1/4 of my class will say "We did this last year!" I still have to teach the topic as it is part of the state frameworks. I then find out that the topics in the frameworks for the previous grade level were never taught. Because grade 5 is tested in LA, math, science and history, I have to find the time in my tight schedule to teach what the children didn't see the year before!!

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 3, 2007

I have overprepared my students for fifth grade before- by teaching them the Greek and Latin roots, outlining, teaching them how to make tri-fold brochures... yet it's all been to their benefit. Towards the end of fourth, I teach them about ratios and all year, I am introducing things that are "up there" to my advanced reading class.

I will say that children can never be too prepared. Even among classes in your own grade- if you're ahead, then your kids should have the chance to SOAR with their skills!! That's how my kids have been in writing class- some are PHENOMENAL at writing leads and I am astounded by their talent. However, it's early in the year and some teachers don't feel they can give higher scores on writing prompts at this time of year. However, some are EARNING great scores. It's different for everyone... but you know what I mean.

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 4, 2007

We (the Archdiocese) is in the process of making up standards for K-12 so all the teachers know what is to be introduced when, when it's to be mastered, etc. And we are told we can always review past "matered" materials minimally. We can also work ahead if we have time. Some grade levels have so much to master there is not time to go beyond. Other grade levels are primarily devoted to introducing new material. The one thing not specified is when something is mastered. All we have been told it that it must be mastered "at grade level" if designated as such. Now what exactly does that mean?