Teachers' wardrobe questions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jlj, Jul 27, 2013.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 27, 2013

Are you allowed to wear capris or crop pants? How do you rotate your wardrobe, how often? Do you dress for the season or the weather? Living in FL it's rather difficult to actually dress for the season most of the year. It's just too hot most days for those gorgeous sweaters, etc in the fall and even in the winter. Then there's dress length...where do you find knee length dresses, work appropriate, mid to upper age appropriate/friendly rather than for teenagers? :blush:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2013

I can wear anything within reason...not too short, too plunging a neckline, nor too skin tight.

I can wear jeans & flip flops everyday if I really wanted to.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 27, 2013

Yes, we can wear crop pants. I don't though. They look weird on me.

I have a fall/winter wardrobe and a spring/summer wardrobe. I live in ohio so that usually means dressing with the seasons/weather.

I buy my dresses from Loft and Gap. I love Loft!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2013

I dress for the weather. My husband and I always laugh when we see people in town dressed for a blizzard just because it's January even though it may be sixty degrees.

We can wear capris. I look like an idiot, but I wear them sometimes.

I don't rotate my wardrobe at all.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 27, 2013

I can wear whatever I want, really, so I dress for the weather. My choice also depends on if I have outside duty or if I'm doing a messy art activity.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 27, 2013

I'm in Louisiana, so I have similar weather to yours. I wear crop pants (SO much cooler!). My new P allows flip-flops, as long as they are "fancy," lol! No sheer, racerback, halter, criss-cross, or spaghetti strap shirts. Other than that, as long as the "girls" aren't exposed shirts are the choice of the teacher. Adult skirts/dresses should be knee-length (there is a maxi craze going on, so that's no problem). Jeans can only be worn on specified "spirit" Fridays, and that is if you buy a ticket for $1. I'm hot natured, so I rarely wear a jacket, but I have a coworker who wears a sweater when it is 80 degrees! I tell my kiddos (many who don't have ac at home, so they are unused to it) that they need to bring a sweater if they are cold in our classroom, because there are only so many items of clothing I will take off!

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2013

I can wear capris at my school. I usually wear dresses almost every day, except for Wednesdays when we can wear jeans. I don't really dress for the weather (it's always nice here), but for my classroom. It's freezing! I always wear a sweater.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 27, 2013

We can wear long capris/ cropped pants. Jeans can only be worn on Fridays. Dresses and skirts to the knee is a good rule, but try it in and see how it looks sitting down and leaning over. I live near Houston, I dress for the weather, which means sandals almost year round, but we do have a few months of cold-ish weather. I shop at Macy's, JC penny's, and Kohls mostly. JC Penny's had had a ton of skirts and dresses with great sales the last few times I went in. I love maxi dresses and skirts. Rachel Zoe calls them the sweatpants of dresses and I agree. They are comfy, cool, and flattering to most figures.

10. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 27, 2013

I'm also in Florida. I dress for the weather. Crops and Capris are perfectly acceptable. Most of us wear jeans on Fridays. For dresses I usually shop at New York and Company. I'm 29.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 27, 2013

I do have a spring/summer and a fall/winter wardrobe. It varies mstly by color and fabric. I dress for my internal weather. Hot flashes are the worst! We wear crops and capris. I wear sleeveless and short sleeves all year, but layer with cardigans in cold weather. I wear knee length pencil and a-line skirts. I'm too old for shorter shirts, and long skirts look dumpy on me.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 27, 2013

I have a lot of capris, but they are all knee length or longer. I have a few that are just above the knee, but they are pin-striped or cords and I wear them with heels. My skirts are just above the knee or longer, and I'll sometimes wear leggings with them for extra coverage. When I wear jeans, they are dressy trouser jeans.

I will be dressing for the weather-lots of layers in Northern CA. But I also wouldn't wear cords in May, or a light tank top in January.

13. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 27, 2013

We can wear capris, but I have short, stumpy legs, so I never do.

We are not allowed to wear jeans or flipflops. We can pay to wear jeans on Friday (Relay for Life fundraiser), but it's $80 a schoolyear, so I never do. We're also not allowed to wear sneakers, but I've never been noticed if I wear all black ones with black laces.

14. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jul 27, 2013

We have a pretty strict dress code - skirts and dresses have to cover the knee, no sleeveless shirts, no open-toed shoes...I hate the last one since I have some beautiful full-length skirts that only look good with fancy sandals.

We can wear jeans on Fridays with a sprit shirt.

I try to dress with the weather, but it can be unpredictable here. Also, my room last year was hot and humid 80% of the time. It was AWFUL!

I love to wear cute dresses with vintage looking pumps. I hate how white my legs are so I always wore sheer hose - I know, I know. When I'm not in a dress or a skirt, I'll wear dress pants and a nice shirt. I'm a big fan of cardigans too so I'll often wear one.

I'm not sure if we can wear capris, but I've never owned a pair. I also think they look weird on me.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2013

I can wear capris at my current school, but I've taught in schools on the same general area where that would be against the dress code.

I dress for the temperature with season appropriate colors.

16. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 28, 2013

We can wear capris as long as they are past the knee. No flip flops. We can wear jeans on Friday. Sometimes we have extra jeans days, or shorts (to the knee) and flip flop days. A lot of times I am more comfortable in a sun dress, but I teach 3rd so I don't spend a lot of time on the floor.

17. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

I work at a private school and the female teachers/staff are required to wear skirts and/or dresses. It has to do with the religious beliefs of the students that go to this school.

My favorite professional clothes are from Loft (and Ann Taylor has some cute stuff, too!) I also get some at H&M and have a few Target pieces mixed in. I really, really, really hate spending a lot on clothes so I do my shopping either during sales or at the outlet mall, and I have gotten some great deals!

Also, I am in MN so I do get to wear the cute sweaters and such almost all school year. My wardrobe is definitely lacking in professional wear for warmer weather.

ETA: There are many other stores I browse but rarely buy from because of the lack of good deals they have. Banana Republic, J Crew, and others along those lines are usually just window shoppers for me.

18. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

I'm a big fan of cardigans, too! I wear them all the time. A lot of my dresses and blouses are sleeveless so the cardigan is perfect to make them work appropriate. :)

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2013

I'm in FL, too... We aren't allowed to wear capris. We have a pretty strict professional dress code.

Look for lightweight linen trousers. Buy shells and light cardigans/shrugs. Dresses and skirts are hit and miss when it comes to length - has to be top of the back of the knee at my school - so check out the outlet/discount stores, like Steinmart, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Beall's, etc.

Shoes have to have a blackstrap at my school. Finding sandals that will work when it's 9,537 degrees outside is tough.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

I dress for my classroom- it gets hot in the winter and stays cool in the fall and spring. :) We can wear capris, and I love to! We are asked to wear sandals and not plain flip flops. As long as we dress professionally, my P doesn't seem to mind what we wear, but we should only wear jeans on spirit days or when we have denim days and collect money for our helping families fund or a charity.

21. jordanmichael

jordanmichael Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

Our school requires a business casual attire, where pants are usually the norm. It's a private school so that's probably not the case everywhere.

22. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2013

I wear the same thing every day. Dress pants and shirt.

23. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

Was that actually the given reason for the rule?

My HS's dress code forbids open toed shoes because so many people get foot-stomped in fights and stampedes. :rolleyes:

24. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

How many days or weeks outfits do you have before you start wearing them again? Do you choose in the morning for that day or do you have a system of what day you wear what? I have known some that wear certain outfits specific days of the wk/month, or certain colors etc. (other than jeans day.

25. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

As a school we're only supposed to wear jeans on Friday but I'm in self contained special ed and my P said considering our range of...activities....we can wear what we want as long as it's appropriate. I have cropped dress pants from NY & Co that I wear a lot and in the winter I wear a lot of appropriate length dresses with tights and boots. When I do wear jeans, they are always neat, no holes or rips and usually a dark wash. I'll try to dress them up with a nice shirt and shoes. Despite the lax rules I look extremely young so I like to distinguish myself from the rest of the middle schoolers!

26. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I probably have about 3 weeks worth of outfits, but I have certain outfits I tend to wear more often than others. I seem to fluctuate quite a bit with my weight so whatever fits at that moment. :blush:

I have tried setting out clothes the night before. It never works. I get up and then don't feel like wearing what I set out. I might put it on and then think it doesn't look good and put on something else. Some mornings I might try on 4 or 5 different outfits. Especially if I already wore one of my favorites that week.

27. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 1, 2013

Dresses: I have had a lot of luck at LOFT and Target.

If something is sleeveless, I just wear a short sleeve cardigan over it. They have some cute ones on sale at target this week for less than thirteen bucks.

28. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 1, 2013

my students have to wear business casual... so I have to wear shirt and tie everyday otherwise the students would look more professional than me lol.

I am also male... obviously.

29. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.

And if some teenage boys have a thing for hands, will you be expected to wear gloves daily?

"Teachers, it's been brought to our attention that some boys in our school feel that many of you have pretty faces. Please find a complimentary ski mask in your mail boxes by the end of the day. You may want to crank up your classroom AC since it's late May. Thank you."

30. 32Flavors

32Flavors Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

My school's dress code is pretty lax. I have a lot of colored jeans that look like pants (seriously, you would never know the difference) and I will often wear a nice shirt with them to dress it up a little. Or I will wear dressy pants with a normal top. We can wear sleeveless shirts but not spaghetti straps. If I wear something with spaghetti straps I put a cardigan over it. I have a pair of cropped pants that I wear sometimes. I teach Pre-K. I'm constantly on the floor, running around and getting messy. I just wear what it comfortable to me and what I wouldn't mind getting messy. The only time I really "dress up" are for special events like graduation, etc.

31. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 1, 2013

I was just at Kohls this morning and they have some really cute womens stuff right now. I saw several work dresses with modest necklines including maxi style dresses and knee length dresses. I hate wearing a cami in the summer under my tops to make them modest enough for work. So I am always on the look out for cute but modest necklines.