Teachers Using Cell phones at work

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by sweetlatina23, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2013

I do keep my phone on and occasionally my DH will send me a text. I might check it if I have a short video on for the kids, but I never respond until I am on lunch, prep, or they are out at their special. I think the real problem is when work is not being done because of texting, or when kids are being neglected ( such as on recess duty). If an admin is guilty of doing that well shame on him or her.

2. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2013

I keep my phone on me, in my smock, when we go outside, BUT it is to check for the time to come inside. While in the classroom, I turn it off, and place it in a designated spot. If hubby OR anyone REALLY NEEDS TO GET A HOLD OF ME, THEY KNOW THE WORK NUMBER. I am not going to miss any EMERGENCY unless I have my cell phone on me. People who do this are justifying their actions AND IT IS A DOWN RIGHT SORRY EXCUSE! Come on! What did they do before cell phones?
    I never get on it and text, UNLESS I am asked to work overtime, then I tell boss that I have to go text hubby that I won't be cooking.;)
    The boss that is responsible for reinforcing the NO PHONE USES AT WORK. You KNOW YOUR BOSS IS NOT ON TOP OF THINGS WHEN YOU SEE A LOT OF CRAP HAPPENING, AND TEACHERS GETTING AWAY WITH IT. Every HONEST TEACHER KNOWS BETTER and should do a SELF CHECK every morning! Ask yourself, "Am I doing the BEST of what I am paid for? Am I following the rules and regulations? Are the children getting what I am supposed to be teaching them? I am getting paid for this, SO I BETTER HAVE IT TOGETHER! IT is not time for tending to my PERSONAL STUFF AND PROBLEMS. I leave that stuff under the rug at the front door, and I will pick them UP after school! (Well! Sometimes when you go home, and you are ready to pick them UP, they are gone, because everybody has been walking and stomping on them, FOR YOU! Smile! It's a little rebellious thingy!):D
    Teachers know better, and whomever is guilty of using their cell phones at work; for their personal uses: is on their own heads. IT IS STEALING TIME FROM THEIR EMPLOYERS, and THEY WILL PAY FOR IT ONE WAY, OR ANOTHER. It will come out in the open, and they will have to answer to a higher power for that.:whistle::2cents:
    Rebel1

3. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013

Rebel1; what is wrong with a little bit of down time at work? I think some things are just taken way to seriously. People need to relax. There is a difference in checking a text you recieve on your phone and spending all of your time doing that. If you are still doing your job, then I don't see the problem.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2013

Down time is fine as long as students aren't around. I've been known to call or text my hoosband on my prep period or lunch from time to time.

5. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013

Even if students are around you should be able to take a moment and just breathe on your own. There are plenty of times in class when students have time to work in groups or individually at desks. Teachers should be able to just have a moment to sit down, relax, breathe, not talk, compose themselves, and then get back to work. It shouldn't need to be Go Go Go Go, all the time.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2013

Breathe, sure. Play on a cell phone, no.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013

I agree, I can't even play on my cell phone.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 27, 2013

I always have my cell on my desk because I have kids who receive pull-out services for speech, counseling, RSP, Tier III Math and Reading, etc. Not all services are Monday-Friday; therefore, it's extremely difficult to keep track of everything.

Anyway, I set alarms on my phone so my kids won't be late for their extra services. In the past, I've gotten so caught up in teaching that I've forgotten to send my kids where they need to be.

My principal saw that my kids and I are always on time for everything. I let her know that it's because I set alarms on my cell phone for myself. She mentioned during a staff meeting that she recommends we all start doing that so our kids won't miss out on pull-out services. We all know that every minute counts when kids are getting those extra services!

On another note--during recess or lunch, I usually check in with my BF (via text) to see how his day is going. I also peruse Facebook for a bit while I'm eating lunch.

I truly don't have time to play games, text, make phone calls, or do other things while I'm teaching. I'm just too busy.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2013

I keep my phone in my purse which is kept in the corner of my classroom closet. I would honestly be afraid of it getting stolen if I left it out. I have thought about leaving it in my car, but I can never decide if that's any safer (high crime neighborhood). If there is a true emergency, my work number should be called, not my cell, and I think that should be the same for everyone. I will occasionally take it to recess just to check the time, and that's all I do on it.

I personally find it annoying when I'm trying to have a conversation with someone at lunch and their face is in the phone the entire time, but that's their choice I guess since it is lunch time. I don't take my phone to lunch.

10. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013

I spend my lunch time at my computer usually reading articles on espn.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2013

This.

My phone is on silent all day as per district requirements. I keep it in a basket on my desk out of student view. I don't text or even look at it during student contact time....on a prep period I'll look to see if I have any texts...dh is on the road all day and I tutor most afternoons so I'll take a quick glance to check that everything is in order...truthfully, I rarely even check school email. My down time is a 40 minute prep and an hour lunch every day...that's when I'll quickly answer any pending email/urgent texts, but I don't engage in social media, chitchat or online games/shopping during school hours...not even on a free period. I have enough to do without such distractions during my contracted work day.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 27, 2013

Oh, Lord...

I have a co-worker who texts, posts to FB, and plays games on her cell and her iPhone all day. I choose to be a bit more professional.

I do not have a phone in my room, and since my kiddos with behavioral issues tend to need instant approval (or disapproval), I use my cell for parent communication (not on my planning period). In fact, I have a couple of parents to whom I text updates about their children. That being said, it is by no means a regular thing - only on an "as needed" basis, and my principal knows about it.

When my mother was dying of cancer, I answered every call from her or from my sisters. My principal knew what was up then as well.

When my daughter was (high-risk) pregnant with my 3rd grandchild, I answered every call and acknowledged every text because she lives 100 miles away, was scared to death, and in labor from the 5th month on. My principal knew about that, too.

There is a HUGE difference between using it FOR academic purposes (parent contact, attendance, etc.) and playing on your cell phone. I just wish people would grow up and act like the professionals we are supposed to be. (Of course, I also wish that we could be TREATED like professionals, lol.)

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2013

:thumb:

14. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2013

You can use it during your breaks or lunch.
    I am talking about people who do it when they are supposed to be teaching/working. You are still on the job, and getting paid to do their work, not checking your text messages. It is still their time, not yours to do your personal stuff; no matter how minor it is. You have breaks and lunch time to do your stuff. :2cents:
    Rebel1

15. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013

Even during all those times, you shouldn't have to constantly go and keep going. As I said before, nothing wrong with taking a small break while the kids are working to check an email or sit down and just relax a little. Most jobs don't require you to be in constant focus and attention with what you are doing, you can have a mental break now and then. Having kids in the room that is hard, but doable if they are working and engaged.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 28, 2013

According to my administration, we are supposed to "teach bell to bell," with nothing else going on. If it's not educational in nature, we can't do it. I can't even do a "fun Friday" activity with my first graders!

17. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2013

That is where the idea that some people need to learn to relax comes into play. Relaxing is actually good for the brain and helps keep it sharp the rest of the time. Even for kids.

18. yoink

yoink New Member

Jan 28, 2013

There's nothing wrong with checking your email and relaxing. But there is something wrong with playing on your phone, especially if you don't allow your own students to use their phones.

If you were to play on your phone and not allow students to play on theirs, they could believe that you're trying to prove that you're better than them JUST because you're the one in charge.

And by saying that you can play on your cell phone while your students are working, your saying that students should play on their cell phones during study hall because that's technically their free period.

Just because you're a teacher doesn't mean you superior nor better than students. Get it through your head, bob. No offense.

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2013

I have said multiple times on this thread, people should not be playing on their phones. I'm not sure where you're getting your information.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2013

I think "playing on a cell phone" is the same as using the phone for non-educational purposes, like texting. That's what I meant when I used the phrase, anyway.

21. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2013

I guess I see a difference there. Playing on the phone to me I think of games and the internet.
    Checking a text on your phone to me is no different than checking an email or answering the classroom phone. The same messages can come through those methods, so it really isn't any different. My wife could send me an email instead of a text and it would be just the same.

22. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 28, 2013

I can't get over people texting etc. instead of being vigilant during recess duty. Aren't they worried about the legal ramifications if a student gets hurt and it comes out that the teacher who was supposed to be watching was texting instead?

23. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2013

While I agree teachers don't need to have their phone out at recess and shouldn't be texting then. The idea that doing so would hinder a teacher from preventing an injury is off base. You can't see everything at recess. Slips and falls happen so fast, that sometimes they just happen. I spend my recess talking to students, and so some things I wont see. And as for response time, teachers most often will respond as soon as a student tells them about someone getting hurt. While yes I get the liability, but the reality is that has little affect on the actual injury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.