teachers that cuss

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SuzieQ, Oct 18, 2008.

1. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2008

Ehhh? This seems really odd, Canadian Gal, and I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.

So, a parent goes to the administration to complain. Parent works, say, at a bank. What happens, the school calls the bank and tells them to fire the parent? While I can imagine a legal regime like this, it would greatly surprise me if this is what occurs in Canada.

Or do you mean the admin is at risk of losing their job if they do anything? That makes more sense, and would explain why admins would be rather tight about it.

Can an anonymous note be sent to the teacher in that case? The teacher might actually be willing to curb their sharing if they realize it's an issue, but the anonymity would prevent retribution.

2. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 22, 2008

An annonymous note would not be a bad idea at all! Just "This is what I am hearing and don't feel comfortable talking to you because I don't want my child accidentally singled out if another student found out. Would you please respect this parent's thoughts on this matter, keep personal information to yourself, and keep the language clean in order to be a good example to these kids over whom you have so much influence? I won't be discussing this with any other parents."

3. Maddy 1983

Maddy 1983 Rookie

Oct 22, 2008

In complete honesty, I had a teacher in HS that had a VERY positive effect on my hs career. He shared stories like this when time allowed (like on movie days before vacations). He never went overly far, but he admitted to trying pot and drinking underage. He never advocated it, but I learned a lot of him (questions he answered or answered indirectly helped me a great deal to make the right decisions). Now, in your case, I don't approve of him cursing regularly like that, that's just unprofessional and wasting class time to tell stories like that is bad. But sometimes, I think teachers can affect a student in marvelous ways in terms of making the right decisions by simply being honest. (To a degree and with caution of course.)

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 22, 2008

I can't agree. Sharing personal information is something you do with a friend. A student is not a friend. There need to be clear boundaries, and sometimes teachers stretch those boundaries because they need to be admired and have their egos stroked - seen it many times. A mature teacher draws the boundary lines and enforces them because he/she is in the position of authority and the student might not know how or might not want to.

I think this teacher needs to be taken to task in some way.

5. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Oct 22, 2008

When I was at school (private school in about as conservative an area of Canada as you'll find) I can remember two incidents of teachers swearing in a classroom, and it wasn't long before the whole school knew about it. An art teacher told a class that their projects were 'really shitty' and an English teacher told a kid she was 'sick and tired of your ****!' and then threw a book at him / hit him with a book (heard several versions of that one). The former was let go at the end of the term and the latter was let go rather sooner.

I imagine that views on this sort of thing vary quite a bit from region to region.

6. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 22, 2008

3 Sons - if the parent is a TEACHER in the same Union (and we only have one in Saskatchewan that all teachers are members of) they are risking their own livelyhoods. Administrators, also, will not speak to teachers regarding any issue unless a parent has first brought it up with that teacher.

I was SPECIFICALLY discussing teachers dealing with other teachers and how it is dealt with here. Not parents who work outside of the union and who are NOT governed by the STF Code of Professional Conduct.

7. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 22, 2008

Fear of retribution isn't an issue for parents, because, should a teacher SEEK retribution against a student for a parent complaint, that is grounds for professional misconduct, and an STF hearing. Our Union will not allow administrators to ACT on complaints that are not first discussed with the individual teacher. In that way TEACHERS are protected from malicious parents, who run to administrators over everything.

Your comment about Canadian law and being "really glad" you don't live here is out of line. I could give you a list about 5 kilometres long about why I am glad that I don't live in the United-States, but that has no place here, nor does your comment. My comments have NOTHING to do with Canadian Law, and everything to do with UNION STANDARDS and the Code of Professional Conduct which we follow.

8. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 22, 2008

Thank you.

However, we are taught that if you are members of the same Union, you can't wear the Parent Hat before you wear the Professionalism Hat. You still have to follow the Code of Conduct.

I have to follow the Code of Conduct in and out of work (not talking about students to other parents - some of whom are my friends for example), and so to do teachers who have children in school.

9. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Oct 22, 2008

What you stated motivated me to do the right thing, however I did do it annonymously and I was not as specific but I'm sure they got the point. However I am concerned about how some teachers or subs think their views and policies should be shared and not questioned? Thanks Bonne:)

If my daughter was in college and their professor spoke that way I would let her make her own judgements but as an impressionable 14 year old that's a different story. I should have changed the title of my thread. Because the occassional cussing is not what bothers me.
    I have never been one to complain because I understand being a teacher myself, however I know by confronting the teacher, it will affect the way he perceives her. We are all human, he my unintentionally treat her differently. It is too uncomfortable. In my email there was nothing specific to get him in trouble but just enough to let him know that kids do talk to their parents about what they "learned" about in school. If anything, I want to let people know that I do believe in the chain of command. However in this situation I don't think it would help and I don't want my daughter perceived as the tattle of such a "cool" teacher. Oh and just to let everyone know this is my first time having a concern since my daughter has been in school since preschool. So I a don't consider myself a "problem parent" but rather a "concerned parent."