Teachers Textbooks-Teaching Writing

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Thia, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Thia

Thia Rookie

Oct 10, 2013

Hello all-
    I'm looking for suggestions on good Teachers Textbooks for teaching Middle School Writing. Finding a good book to follow would help me to plan lessons and teach in sequential steps. Now that we are following the Common Core--it is essential that I find a textbook to follow. :help:
    Thanks
    Cynthia

3. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 8, 2013

I would like to find something like this also.
    My school does not buy student textbooks but it would be good to have something to guide me. All my students have laptops and that is supposed to be kind of like the students textbooks.... but I am in charge of finding curriculum for all my classes.

I would definitely like something to help guide my thinking.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2013

5. newengltchr

newengltchr Rookie

Nov 10, 2013

DEFINITELY check out Joan Sedita's "Keys to Literacy" program. I have all of her books and attended all the conferences, too. Actually, many of our local and state-wide school districts are adopting her program. Once you check them out, you'll be wondering why you never taught like this before. It makes so much sense, yet it seems so simple.

The kids seem to love it, too! Sedita has books on Argument Writing, Open Response, and Writing in the Content Areas. Would definitely recommend.

6. Strick

Strick Rookie

Nov 15, 2013

I used Penny Kittle's "Write Beside Them" during college and have used a lot of the strategies in my teachings.

7. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Dec 26, 2013

writing

I have tons and tons of writing ideas to incorporate in the classroom - some I've found on line - many I've made up! email me at looneyteachr@yahoo if you'd like ideas!! I'm not much of a textbook user - but have tons of easily implemented activities for writing at any age

8. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Dec 29, 2013

I'm going to send you an email as well. I'd love to hear/see your ideas. My district doesn't have a textbook that focuses on writing either.

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 26, 2014

Love her books. I can't do everything she does, but her approach is easy to pick pieces from. Jeff Anderson - Everyday Editing, Mechanically Inclined. There are many others; I just can't think of them right now. They are home and I'm in school.

10. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

May 26, 2014

I'd love to see your ideas too. Can you post some of them? Thank you.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 26, 2014

Nancy Atwell's Lessons that Change Writers book/binder combo is AMAZING, especially for middle school grades. The book gives you the pedagogy and teacher speak for the lessons and the binder has ready to reproduce handouts. Plus she gives a suggested sequence for the activities. It's a little pricey, but you can find it used. It's worth every penny.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/les...rs-nancie-atwell/1100358829?ean=9780867095067