"Teachers should quit whining about pay"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by krusch12, Jun 1, 2009.

1. krusch12

krusch12 New Member

Jun 1, 2009

I'm not a teacher, but when I read this it absolutely outraged me. This guy is a raging idiot in many, many ways. PLEASE contact the newspaper and express your outrage that they would publish this crap.

It can be found at the Greensboro News and Record's site.

3. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Jun 1, 2009

No real need to contact the newspaper or submit a letter to counter this one. He exposes himself as a fool in his own letter.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2009

Is this based on one income or two? And what bills does this include? There are a variety of situations which teachers find themselves in. Some of have more bills than others and some less. Also, this is an average. Most first year teachers aren't going to make this.

And I bet this is based on the 8-3 myth, and not the many additional hours many of us put in after school and on the weekends.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's because home schooling and private schools have smaller class sizes and has nothing to do with "credentials".

:eek:

He does have a point... We don't get into for the money, but for the passion we have for our subject(s) we teach and teaching young minds.

5. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 1, 2009

No he did not go there :mad:

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 1, 2009

I have one word for this person: IGNORANT.

I would love to challenge him to come and teach (EFFECTIVELY) for a year. Then we'll see if he still thinks we're not "professionals".

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2009

Well, first off, most of the protests going on in Raleigh are not about our 0.5% pay cut/furlough, but the proposed budget for next year where they may cut up to 10% of our pay (on top of eliminating up to 12,000 teaching positions- not counting support staff).
    This is a hot topic right now in NC. I read on another forum some guy ranting about how teachers need to get over it- they have been riding the 'gravy train' for too long now. He also went on to say we only work 8 months a year. My response was that he must have went to school during a budget crisis with increased class sizes because 8 weeks in the summer + a combined 3 weeks during the school year for all our breaks = 11 weeks and 4 months = about 17 weeks. Oh- and that is not including all the time we work over the summer with out pay.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 1, 2009

If you broke my last salary down to an hourly wage, I was making $18 an hour. Before taxes. Without benefits. I could do better as a local nanny, where people pay about $25 an hour. And Czacza has said she makes around $70/75 tutoring. The math just doesn't add up to a higher salary than the list he gave.

And yes, homeschooling parents and private school teachers often do quite well, because they have much different circumstances! Homeschooling parents are teaching THEIR KIDS! Hello? And private school teachers are often teaching the cream of crop in terms of money, home support and interest in learning. Give me a break. And out here, private school teachers are almost always asked to have a credential.

And if he doesn't think we have to go through extensive training, he can have my student loan debt. Seriously. I should send him the bill. Along with a bill for all my PD I've had to pay for on my own.

Lastly, I DO revere my garbage man. Seriously. And my waitresses (see past thread re: tips).

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2009

One thing I am honestly a bit confused about -- teachers often have unions, which in most professions advocate for higher pay. If you look at the required education of the typical transit worker in NYC, for example, their pay is far out of proportion to their skills and knowledge (a few year's back, the starting salary for a transit worker was a couple of thousand dollars higher than the starting salary for an assistant d.a.). Porters have even greater extremes, with the top porter at Carnegie Hall a couple of years ago being the second-highest paid employee there -- just behind the Director of Carnegie Hall (the porter was pulling in north of $200k). Presumably, the union with collective bargaining power would be the group to advocate for higher pay, right?

10. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jun 2, 2009

This reporter has no idea what he is talking about.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

Some states don't have unions though.

12. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jun 2, 2009

I hear you on that one. If you broke mine down it is just under $13/hour. I made more money waitressing part time.

Of course I love my job and it is worth it, but seriously, this person is nuts.

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

I knew I was over paid the day my niece got her two year nursing degree and made the SAME salary I made with a masters and 18 years of experience. "just walk in off the street and teach effectively" You couldnt find that kind of humor on MAD TV. Seriously, I am happy to have a job knowing how many people are losing theirs.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 2, 2009

I'll let him teach in my place for a school year. I'd be willing to swap careers for a year (along with the salaries of course.) Anyone can write ignorant dribble and use skewed facts to make themselves sound impressive. It's called BSing.

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

This guy should be forced to sub in a preschool on spaghetti and chocolate pudding day.

He is definitely showing his ignorance!

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 2, 2009

I have always said I want to see a reality show - "So, you think you can Teach". Pull guys like this in and stick him in a classroom for 1 week and see if it doesn't make him cry.

You can make statistics say anything - is he figuring that hourly rate by dividing it by 365 or 180 days-because we get paid that salary over 365 days? I love how they have an average for a state - some districts have more experience (higher paid) teachers based on the scale - that would make an average higher. I worked three 11-hour days last week - actually at school - I didn't get paid any more for it the way other professions compensate their employees. And the hours spent on weekends, nights through the summer - planning, creating things for the class, tutoring, afterschool clubs, etc. ugh! :banghead:

Yes, homeschooled kids do typically do better - how many kids is that teacher teaching all day? How many kids do we have in each class all day? Plus, they don't have specials, testing, paperwork (i'm not saying you have no paperwork homeschool teachers, just not the same as having 20+ kids to assess, do paperwork for etc). Private schools often have educated staff members, even though it's not a requirement and more money for resources.

17. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jun 2, 2009

There's a guy on a radio station out here who rants about the same thing. Maybe they have something against teachers? Nah, probably just ignorance.

18. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 2, 2009

NC doesn't have unions - there is a NCAE but not for the school districts themselves - there is a law here against collective bargaining.

19. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2009

So in states with unions, there isn't an issue with low pay? I had thought the low pay issue was pretty much universal.

20. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 2, 2009

1. I don't make any where NEAR that amount of money.
    2. I work 52 weeks out of the year thank you--- a teacher's job is never done. I'd like to see other people take home 4 to 5 hours worth of work home every evening, while balancing a personal life/family.
    3. Public schools deal with so many factors that may cause low performance at some of them compared to private schools.
    Among all the other flaws and false statements amongst his article.

What an idiot...

21. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2009

I don't think he would even need a school year. He could come teach my 6th graders for 1 week. They would eat him alive. And I don't even teach in a rough urban area. And I'm sure we could also give him the standards we have to teach for the year. He would probably think we were handing him a phone book.

22. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

I think we should take this guy and all the other people who say "Oh you're off for the whole summer" cover them in honey and tie them to a nest of fire ants.

23. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Jun 2, 2009

Sub?????

Make him the teacher of record for a semester. Plan it all out, do the day to day, himself.

After all, this is a profession that doesn't require any special training and he's obviously a well educated person himself. I'm sure his students will perform well on those standaradized tests.....which IS how his performance should be graded.

After all, that's how he grades ours.

Put up or shut up big boy.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

I do make $70 per hour tutoring, which in this economy it's hard to imagine that people have the $$ for, but I do tutor about 6 1/2 hours per week... I do have a Masters degree plus 60 additional PD credits, have taught grad classes in literacy, and have 12 years of experience teaching elementary ed...teachers with less experience in my district charge $60-65. It's definitely a geographical thing- I'm in an affluent school district, in the NYC suburbs of Northern NJ. I've never broken down my 'school salary' to get an hourly wage, although my district does pay well in comparison to other districts. I don't think anyone went into teaching to 'become rich', and most people I know do supplement their income in some fashion- tutoring, 2nd jobs, etc...

25. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

I work in NC, and sure don't make that kind of money! When I figured it out, it was around $10 an hour. Pretty lame for all the work I do, but I love my job and what I do for thie kids!!!

Like my kids said when I was reading this...IGNORE HIM

26. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

I teach in NC and have 26 years experience, and I sure don't make in the $59000 neighborhood! Where does this guy get his figures?

27. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

This guy should be forced to sub in a preschool on spaghetti and chocolate pudding day.
    He is definitely showing his ignorance!

Yeah, and in Kindergarten on a day when the bathrooms are broken!

28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 3, 2009

I'm making the same salary as I did as a private banking secretary in 1999 and I'm in a non-union school. PUH-LEEEZE! Some people need to do their research before they shoot off such generalizations.

29. FutureTeacher__

FutureTeacher__ Rookie

Jun 3, 2009

I laughed at that!:lol:

http://www.ccsd.k12.co.us/documents/provider/253SalaryTeacher.pdf

Probably from unionized states like Colorado. If you look on that payscale, a teacher with 10 years experience can expect to make
    60k after 10 years WITH a masters(still on the lower side). Granted, that payscale is from a rich district...the pay will varry between 56k and 60k(depending on the district)

I guess I have no right to come into this thread as I am not a teacher yet. However, I just wanted to point out where he might of gotten that figure from.

30. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2009

Actually, he says where he gets the number from:

It's not a "real" number at all. It's arrived at with a lot of formulae they try to justify. Some or even all of it may even be justifiable, but what it does is create a warped number that can't really be compared to any of our regular experience -- but the writer knows that people will read right past the "adjustment" and view it as though it were a regular salary, and have a reaction that it's a big number.

31. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Jun 3, 2009

This guy clearly does not know what he is talking about.
    I agree with the above comments, but would like to add that the "miniscule" 1/2% pay cut he is talking about is taken ALL at once for the entire year. My take home pay ended up being $175 LESS than usual. That is my electricity bill right there.
    Maybe that's a drop in the bucket for some people, but for me it's a huge deal.

I could handle a 1/2% pay cut, I think I figured it to be less than $20. But to have it ALL taken at once? That was a slap in the face!

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2009

I'm in NE NJ- Bergen County, NYC suburbs. I'm making just shy of $83K with 9 years in district (plus 3 years before that) I'm very fortunate and thankful everyday to go to a school that values my growth and development as a professional educator... and yet I still tutor almost 7 hours per week in addition to my full time job, pick up traffic duty and after school enrichment classes...and still don't consider myself 'well-off' although I do realize it's all relative.

33. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

Oh. Wow.
    This is why my BFF just quit her job in NC.
    Ignorance must be an insane form of bliss because this guy is in another world. Yes, teachers get some time off in the summer....
    to clean their room.
    to move rooms and then redo all their walls.
    to take professional development.
    to recooperate from the five insane behavior problems from the previous year.
    to plan.
    to prepare.
    to pray.
    :crosseyed

34. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jun 4, 2009

I wonder if he's also one of those who feels members of the military have it good because they receive housing allowances and benefits.

35. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

Ahhh....so now we can form a real average pay. I have been teaching at the same Catholic school for 9 years now. My contracted salary for next year will be just shy of $30,000. Keep in mind this is pretax. I chose to teach in the Catholic schools knowing full well the pay is 10K-15K less per year for teaching the same number of years, so I'm not complaining about the difference. IMO the difference in pay is made up for in other ways. Also, I don't know if czacza has a masters, but I don't have one yet. And our standards of living are quite different due to the local economies. I also tutor a few hours a week for about $20/hr. Well, Mr. Teachers Are Whiners, what do you have to say now?

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2009

Yes, masters plus 60 credits beyond that.

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 6, 2009

Those credits make a lot of difference. What kind of private school do you teach at, if you don't mind me asking?

38. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 6, 2009

Teachers, Vedder concluded, "earn more per hour than architects, civil engineers, mechanical engineers, statisticians, biological and life scientists, atmospheric and space scientists, registered nurses, physical therapists, university-level foreign-language teachers, and librarians."

This stumps me. If it's true, how come I'm making $32,400 my first year, while my RN friend is making $49,000 and my engineer friend is making $56,000????

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2009

I'm in public school. Made the jump from private Catholic schools about 9 years ago...(at which point I got a 2 1/2 X pay raise!!)

40. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 6, 2009

Oh. I thought you said at some point you taught in a private school. My mistake.