Teachers - really need your thoughts!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Schuyler, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Feb 27, 2007

I'm about to send out applications to several districts in my area. I've been reading about this new online assessment that a lot of schools are giving. Apparently they do not hire teachers who use to many "I" statements. Instead they want student-centered comments.

I used the same essay for each application. Most asked about my philosophy or what I can contribute. I do have some "I" statements in there such as:

Ultimately, it is my privilege and professional responsibility to prepare students for the world by helping them become confident, well-rounded, and conscientious citizens

As an educator, I will give my students regular opportunities to recognize and embrace their preferred learning styles, interests, and strengths so they may develop a love of learning and the confidence to pursue their dreams.

As a leader and a role model, I will set an example for my learners by always treating them with dignity and respect.

Do you think those are too "I-focused?" They all have the interest of the student in mind. I have many other statements that don't have "I" in them, so it's hard to avoid putting it in to some of the statements.

Thanks for your input!

3. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Feb 27, 2007

It's easy enough to turn some of those statements around. For example:
    My students will be presented with regular opportunities to recognize and embrace their preferred learning styles, interests, and strengths so they may develop a love of learning and the confidence to pursue their dreams.

At the same time, I wouldn't worry too much about it, the message is what is really important.

4. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Feb 27, 2007

I was able to turn most of them around, but would hate to rewrite all 50 if I don't need to. At the same time, I want it to be perfect. There are a couple pages where I have to say "I" - otherwise it becomes grammatically incorrect (passive instead of active)