Teachers Please Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Noel, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Noel

Noel Companion

Jun 18, 2004

I'd like to ask for some help....I will be teaching (I am a brand new teacher) 1st grade in a Christian Academy in the fall, I am trying to get items for my classroom....I basically have no help from the school in doing this so most of the expense is on me. Thankfully I have a few family members who are willing to purchase/donate items for me. Problem is...other then decorations for the room, I have no idea what to tell them to get....

Let me know what type of items I need to put on my wish list???

Thanks!!:)

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 18, 2004

Teacher resource books are always a good bet. Also a subscription to Mailbox Magazine and/or Teacher's Helper Magazine.

Grade appropriate storybooks.

Teacher supplies - hole punch (one hole and three hole), staplers, scissors, staple remover, pens - different colors, pencils, stampers and stamp pads, stickers, stickers, stickers, file folders, markers, etc.

Student supplies (will they be provided for you??)

Organizers - all different sizes from shoebox size up to large ones. You will always need these for any number of things.

I don't know if you are looking for toys for your classroom or if they will be there for you but - puzzles, educational games for your learning centers - Bingos are great and they have some great card games that teach, individual chalkboards or white boards.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2004

I like you was in the same boat last year, but at a public school. If you plan to do bulletin boards... A teacher gave me some plain white and orange border it was great!!!! The orange stayed up for Oct & Nov. The white up for the winter months!!!

You need to think about what you want to do with your room first then go from there!!!

5. patricia

patricia Guest

Jun 18, 2004

You may want to have a pocket chart stand and a few pocket charts. You may want art supplies(paint, construction paper, markers,etc.). Also, will your school be providing you with paper, lined and unlined for your grade level? God Bless you and Good Luck!

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jun 18, 2004

My suggestion would be to hold off buying many things at the beginning. By just what you think you need to get started, then see how things go the first few days of school to see what you would really use. I know it can be overwhelming to think about what you need for a classroom. Don't let experienced teacher's classrooms make you panic. They have had much longer to create their rooms.:) As far as decorations, have the children fill the room with art work and writing, etc. These are always much better to look at and cheaper than pre-made decorations. This is a great time of the year to go to garage sales to pick up puzzles, games, rocking chairs, books, lamps, baskets, etc. Take advantage of them. Many of my favorite items have come from garage sales. As soon as school starts create a classroom wish list to send home with your children. You might be surprised how many parents may want to help by sending in stuff. On my classroom wish list I usually ask for the following items: magnetic letters (you can find these at $ stores),glitter, yarn, felt, cotton balls, paper lunch bags, paper plates, snacks that can be stored, google eyes, beads, noodles, buttons, ice cube trays (great for sorting). Fill the list with things that can help make interesting craft projects and you can also use for math manipulatives.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 20, 2004

The first year I taught I was continually making lists of what I wanted/needed. The teacher before me had basically cleaned the room out of the manipulatives. They are soo expensive! Find out first what the school is going to supply. Then work from there. I would go to a local teacher's store a a buy what I wanted a couple of months before that month. That way I slowly built up my resources, & I wasn't spending all my money at one time. I shop the dollar stores for lots of things. Toys R Us, Kmart, Target etc are usually cheaper then a teacher store. In Oct. I think, TRU usually has a sale on board games, along the lines of buy 2 get 1 free. Ask for gift certificates from a variety of stores.
    Good luck this fall. Remember we are here for you!

8. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 20, 2004

Also, check around to see if there are any free teacher stores in the area. We are fortunate enough to have one just open this past year in our county. There is one in a neighboring county. It is a spectacular resource for teachers that teach in lower income areas.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2004

Another great resource is the parets once you've started!!!

At the beginning of the year I asked for baby wipes, ziplock bags, extra snacks, and refillable soap!!! The parents in most cases are willing to help with supplies!!!

10. Jun 29, 2004

Also, don't forget the second hand stores.... I've found huge bags of different colors of yarn for a dollar, or toys/books in pretty good condition. Sometimes you can find organizational items (ie. paper sorters, file holders, desk organizers). I've found bags of multi colored felt to make items for flannel boards. I've used a garment rack that I found for a pocket chart holder, even better than the real thing (has wheels and it's adjustable) for $5... the real thing would have set me back about $54. Also, magazines to cut pictures/words from... anything really.

11. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jun 29, 2004

Noel,
    I noticed that you are from New Jersey! What part? Because in New Jersey there is resource center for teachers that is awesome! I also teach first grade at a Christian School in New Jersey and have found the resource center very helpful. Do you live in South Jersey?

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 29, 2004

I found a web site that everything is free! the address is (I think) www.freecycle.org Everything is used or coming from someone else. You need to join the group. I just found out about this Sunday night. I haven't found anything yet, but you can list what you want & maybe get something that way.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2004

I have to limit how many books I pick up at the thrifts now - I have sooooo many. I can't resist when I see them for 5/$1, though. I just got a beautiful hard cover children's book about famous Americans. I love heavy baskets painted bright red, don't ask me why. The last one cost 69 cents! I have gotten lots of holiday decorations in the summer at Goodwill. They are really nice - wooden plaques, etc. Darling little chairs ($3) for an old table that I spray painted and stenciled. Last fall I got a stained glass kit at Goodwill, bought glass votive candle holders for 25 cents each and the kids made beautiful stained glass votives for parents for gifts. I stock up on candy for rewards on the day after a holiday - often from the drug store at 50 or 75% off. I get t-shirts to decorate for $2 each at Walgreens. Big Lots has great prices on storage containers. I just got a video on earth day there - all stars are in it - Bette Midler is Mother Earth, Robin Williams ....... $1. Sure, I also spent $35 at the teacher store this week, but that was my choice. I could have made do with posters taken from Mailbox magazine or Scholastic and laminated. So much fun.

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 30, 2004

also, don't forget about Dollar stores... sometimes you can get INCREDIBLE deals there. ;)

15. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 30, 2004

I absolutely have to agree but not everyone has the 'eye' for going into a dollar store and looking for practical things for your classroom. I have trouble going in and staying focus!
    Ramco is a dollar store distributor. Its a huge warehouse. There is one in North Miami Beach/Hialeah area and I know they have one at Orlando on Irlo Bronson.

16. Lorne

Lorne Guest

Jun 30, 2004

Teacher

Are garage/yard/rummage sales popular in your area? You can get practically brand new items that you would not expect to see - tables that can be used for sand or water tables, toys, books, etc. Best of all is you pay next to nothing for them. My wife runs a nursery school program and is always picking up great stuff. When she mentions what the items are for, they usually reduce the prices even more.

Check it out!

Lorne

17. jhk

jhk Guest

Jul 2, 2004

things to buy

I am sorry that you aren't getting a lot of help from your co-workers,but think positively, it's so much fun to shop for your classroom. I didn't read all of the replies, so I might be repeating some. Buy some nice bulletin board sets, you'll need a calendar. You can buy calendar sets and change the dates and month, some even come with a weather chart. You'll want to buy some sentences strips for writing vocabulary words, to go in your pocket chart. There's a bingo type game that has the basic sight words, and kids love it!! It's always nice to have a big notebook 'chart' with the big lines. This is nice because you can go ahead any write out poems and then you'll have them for next year. You'll want to buy a timer, they are very helpful!! There is this wonderful self adhesive spray that you can buy at Wal-Mart and you just spray it onto posters and things that need to go on the wall and it sticks right away, it stays until you pull it down, and it doesn't mess up the walls. It works on paper and things that are laminated. It's about $8.00 a can and it has a 3M on the can. It is a god-send!!!!! I'll never use glue guns, or tape, or the tacky stuff again!!!! Of course, have your Sharpies markers and I like to have my own supply of crayons, markers,etc. 1st grade is awesome, they'll love you!!!!

18. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 3, 2004

I agree with Bookworm, don't buy anything until you're actually in your classroom. It is hard to wait, but you really don't know what you'll need yet.

Good luck in the fall!

Money saving tips for the classroom

19. valindy

valindy Rookie

Jul 3, 2004

I have made "mailboxes" out of empty pizza boxes that were donated to my classroom. All you need is a hot glue gun! I covered the outside with paper so they would be pretty. They only last a year. Good luck in your new room! ;)

20. Busy Lady

Busy Lady Rookie

Jul 8, 2004

Don't forget to save your receipts from everything that you buy for your classroom. Our CPA is the father of one of my former first graders and he tells me to save everything! Poor guy, I just stuff all of these receipts into a storage container and he sorts through them. It really does add up and help you get a nice refund.

Good luck in your classroom... You'll love it!!!!
    Shannon