Teachers, please help me with this decision!

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by Confused mom, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Mar 14, 2010

I think this really depends on where you're located. Here in Illinois, our Catholic schools are excellent about being well-rounded. FYI- I am a Catholic parent AND Catholic teacher. Our test scores are consistently high-end. Also, I had a friend who left our school because of a move, and the public school teachers have asked her son- you learned that at St. ******, right? I like that there are smaller classes from both a parent and teacher's point of view. I know that if my child is having trouble in ANY area, the teachers are able to pin point the problem and get her help. As a teacher, I am able to reach all my students no matter what their learning style. (Not to say, that public teachers DON"T do that- just speaking from Catholic school point of view). I feel I can better challenge those higher students and help pick up those that are struggling- because I truly KNOW my students and know their needs. There are definite benefits to having a small class.
    However, sometimes there is a negative with having only 4 girls or boys. Although dealing with people is a part of life, sometimes it is tough if you don't get along with someone and there are only a few others to talk to.
    Good luck in your decision.

2. Confused mom

Confused mom Rookie

Aug 25, 2010

Hello again. I just wanted to update you about my daughter's school. We both love it! Her kindergarten class only has 10 kids in it...5 boys and 5 girls. The teacher let the parents come into the classroom on the first day to take pictures and visit for about 10 min. When my teenagers were in K at a public school, the parents had to drop them off and wave goodbye....so this was such a nice thing for me to do! It feels like such a nice family atmosphere to me! The leader of our home and school association is very organized and friendly. I am also the room mom...so far it's been pretty easy with only 10 kids in the class. I know it will get busier though.
    I love how the principal comes out in the morning when the kids are lining up to shake their hands. The office lady knows a lot of the kids' names, maybe even every single kid there!
    I am just not used to this! There's also hardly any traffic, so that is so nice compared to a traffic jam that I am used to!

Our public schools in Ca. have taken a huge hit with major cutbacks. I am so glad my K. daughter gets to learn music as well as Spanish! I'm also glad my teenagers will be out of school soon and hopefully won't feel too many of the major cutbacks before they graduate...(they are in public schools by choice.)

Anyway, just had to say I am glad to have made the decision to go to a private school.

3. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Aug 25, 2010

Glad to hear you are happy with your decision. I hope your fortune continues.