Teachers of grades 5-8, survey help please

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsMar, Jul 27, 2016.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 27, 2016

I'm taking a grad school class right now and have made a survey regarding offenses and the consequences for them. If you could take the survey for me I'd greatly appreciate it. Even if you don't teach grades 5-8 right now but you have in the past, that works too. It shouldn't take very long to complete it, it's just 10 questions. Thank you!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2CVRG9F

3. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 27, 2016

That was interesting. I'm completely against giving kids OSS for skipping school/class. You are basically rewarding them. They already didn't want to be in school. My school does a lot of before school and after school detention. It's great because it keeps kids in the class.

BioAngel likes this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

For some yeah:
    "OK your consequence is 2 days suspension"
    "Alright SWEET!"
    DAMN IT, you're not supposed to ENJOY it!
    :mad:

Just like taking recess away from some kids and they just shrug their shoulders and say, "Eh. It's too hot out anyway."
    :banghead:

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2016

I took the survey and agree with the others. Any suspension should be in school. I agree with severe punishment for the transgressions in the survey. Better come down hard on the kids now before similar behaviors as an adult land them in jail.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 27, 2016

Thanks a bunch for taking the survey, I really appreciate it. I too am not a fan of out of school suspensions.

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 27, 2016

I agree that out of school suspension isn't ideal. However, in some cases, such as when a student is being severely disrespectful to a teacher, throwing chairs in a classroom, or fighting, I think it is beneficial for both the student and the teacher to not have that student in the classroom for a day or two. They just need a break. The best solution to this would be in school suspension, but most schools that I know of don't have the resources for that unfortunately.

Here's a situation close to several I've seen. (Note: I currently teach 4th, but have taught older kids too.) Joe punches a student in the stomach, hard. Joe goes to the office, gets told he will have lunch detention for the next week, then comes back to class in 30 minutes. Joe now knows everyone knows his business and feels shameful about that. The teacher is irritated that Joe is right back in the classroom because he created such a disruption. And, a few students are even scared to be in the classroom now because Joe just punched someone for goodness-knows-why and now he's sitting next to them.

That's why I think that at least having Joe remain in the office for the rest of the day, or get sent home for that day, is beneficial. Sometimes students and teachers need a break from Joe, and sometimes Joe needs a break from the students and teachers whom he feels he messed up in front of. I don't want anyone to think that I don't care about Joe; in fact, Joe can be a very rewarding student to work with. But sometimes, the whole class needs to be thought of, not just what's best for Joe. Yes, Joe spending the day at the office or at home might mean he misses out on the rest of the day's lessons, but it also means that the 29 other kids in the class get to actually focus on their classwork.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Mr.Literature likes this.
  8. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 27, 2016

I 100% agree. If it is an issue with violent behavior, then it is to everyone's benefit that the kid is away from other students.

One of the problems I have seen at my school is not being consistent with punishments. From talking to other teachers, we've had two different kids do exactly the same thing and the punishment is not at all the same. I love my school. But like everything, we have things that aren't perfect.

otterpop likes this.
  9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 27, 2016

Oh I agree too that there are times when a student should be removed from the classroom, and fighting is definitely one of those times. Hopefully besides being removed from the classroom there is also follow up with the student as far as working with him/her to get the behavior to be corrected. All three middle and high schools I've worked at have ISS, I didn't realize it wasn't the norm to have it. Thanks for your thoughts and input.

10. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 27, 2016

Is ISS not standard? That's crazy to me.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 27, 2016

Only time I would advocate for out of school suspension is if there is physical or verbal violence. I had an ex-boyfriend scream at me in the hallway and spit on me once - I was sooooo thankful that he was kicked out of school for the rest of the week. By then my parents had given me a cell phone to carry on me and I had a guy friend with me to walk me to my next class. (Ex was totally fine after that and left me alone)

Otherwise, I'm totally for cleaning up the school if you break the rules. We use to do that at my other school and I would have the students clean out my goldfish tank. Goldfish make a horrible mess in their tank :) Students made sure to not get detention with me again after having to clean the tank out once.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 28, 2016

Thanks again to those who have taken the survey. I appreciate you taking a few minutes out of your day to do so. I'm keeping it active through today. If you haven't taken it yet, and don't mind helping me out, I'd appreciate some more input. Thanks a bunch!

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 28, 2016

You don't mention referral to law enforcement and ticketing for more major offenses. That really needs to be part of the mix.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 28, 2016

Thanks for the feedback. I put in the "other" option so that condequences I didn't think of but others want to recommend can go in there. I appreciate you taking the time to answer the survey.