Teachers not following directions

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Brendan, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 17, 2011

I still stand by what I said before about character includes doing the right thing even when someone isn't looking. I feel we, as parents AND as teachers, need to help students realize this and learn how important it is that they recognize and follow good rules ALL the time. I know that isn't exactly inherent in human nature, but it is something we need to help our children attain. It will lead to a more honest society. Look, I went through parochial elementary (1-8) school. It was expected that you followed every rule whether or not you were being watched. Now, I am the kind of person who feels that if I don't do what is expected all the time, then I am most likely to be caught either by a person and definitely by God. That is me personally. In public school, we obviously can't (shouldn't) bring God into the picture (Heaven forbid!:() but we should work that much harder to convince the kids that EVERYTHING they do, observed or not, is important in forming who they are as a person.
    Therefore, I keep my rules pretty basic in class, and enforce school rules as well.

Dress code rules - I have to admit, I slide on those because administration, again and again, doesn't back the teachers up even though they are the ones who set the standard and want us to enforce it!:confused:

2. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 17, 2011

The teacher pretended to misunderstand my e-mail. She didn't agree that this student's circumstances warranted special permission. Well I frankly don't care at this point. I sen this e-mail out almost 2 weeks ago. You read it and didn't voice any concerns then. The girl will be allowed to make-up the work. Let's hope she passes.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2011

Wow! I sure hope that she does pass.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2011

My suggestion would be to really look at the work if the student doesn't pass. It is amazing how one can get their way when they want it bad enough or feel they are above the rules "as long as they don't get caught" it is ok. Keep an eye out..... I expect some more "misunderstandings" on the part of Ms. Biology teacher.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2011

Off topic, but a quick little funny. I have to teach my students (we literally practice) that even if I'm at the front of the line and they're in the back, and maybe they can't see me as I round the corner, the rules still apply in the hallway. Once, as I turned to walk backwards as I often do in order to see my students, a few were being silly at the back. We all paused and I pointed out how silly they looked acting up thinking that no one could see them. I pointed to the corner of the ceiling toward the security camera, but I guess it looked like I as generally pointing just up, and said something along the lines of, "Now, you do realize your silliness is being watched at all times, right?" Everyone got very serious, and some lowered their heads as though they knew they'd done wrong. And then a student spoke what the others were thinking, "Yes, Mrs. JustMe. God sees everything we do." :haha:

6. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 17, 2011

:yeahthat:

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2011

Well, I hope I didn't offend you, Brendan. That wasn't my intention. She clearly was wrong and shouldn't have just decided to do her own thing. I totally agree that we have to look at kids as individuals. I'm sure it was aggravating to find that she just went willy nilly on her merry little way, ignoring your e-mail.

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 17, 2011

As much as I hate to think this of a fellow teacher but...I would be concerned that the teacher may grade the student harshly/ inaccurately. If the teacher doesn't agree with your decision he/she may still find a way to penalize the student. :(

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 17, 2011

This happened to my son...a friend's son turned in a paper with the same answers and scored 15 points better. All because I quoted the handbook to the teacher...I would have the child bring copies to you to see.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 17, 2011

I'm sorry I didn't mean to come off as rude. Just a frustrating day.

11. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 18, 2011

Your frustration is completely understandable. You have a teacher that blatantly ignored your directions and then gave the lamest answer possible to explain her actions. Seriously, even her kids could have come up with a better excuse than that.

I agree with the others that you may have to watch the teachers' actions to make sure she doesn't try to retaliate by intentionally giving the girl failing grades on the work turned in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.