Teacher's nicknames

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Jan 30, 2010.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2010

When I was at school (in the 60s and 70s) we had nicknames for all of our teachers. Some were based on mannerisms, some on physical appearance others based on derivations of their real names. The kids in the schools I have taught in have no nicknames for us, it's just something they don't seem to do nowdays. Is this the same in the USA?

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 30, 2010

I think it depends on the grade/age level. I think in middle school and up here, that happens quite a bit. The younger grades - not so much.

4. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Jan 30, 2010

We called my one teacher "G"~ She was very laid back and it was the beginning of her last name.

We also called one of my other teachers H!@$%-dawg (it wasn't a curse word, I was just replacing her last name

We also called one of my teachers just by her Spanish last name~ she was my spanish teacher

We had different nicknames based on their last names and personalities.

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jan 30, 2010

Oh it certainly happens here. I know I have several, a few of which annoy the heck outta me (which of course, is their point).

6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2010

To be honest I think a nickname is a badge of honour. If the kids are bothered enough to make one up them agree on it it is a sort of recognition.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 30, 2010

Before my last name changed, several students called me "H."

Now, with my married name, several students call me "Mama_________"

I teach juniors and seniors, have the same kids 2 years in a row, so we get pretty close.

8. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jan 30, 2010

A lot of my kids call me by my last name only. It doesn't bother me. The majority of the time it's done respectfully. When I feel they're being disrespectful or getting out of line, I shoot them "the look" and won't respond until they call me Madame _________.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 30, 2010

Most of my students have called my Ms Rod (the short version of my name). Then some tried to call me Hot Rod, but I drew the line. No variation needed, Just Ms Rod.

I know they do have some nicknames, but I doubt I've heard them all.

10. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Jan 30, 2010

I used to have a nickname but the new principal put an end to that. Everyone must be Miss __________, Ms. ___________ or Mrs. __________. (We have no males on staff.) She thinks nicknames show disrespect and too much familiarity.

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2010

The kids over here would never use a nickname to your face. That would spil it, it is supposed to be a secret only they know!

12. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jan 30, 2010

A lot of my kids use just my last name, with no "Mr" in front of it. I'm torn on that one. My principal doesn't like it (for the same reason "kidsandpups" noted. But I never really minded it, and it's turned into a constant struggle reminding kids to use the "Mr".

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 30, 2010

My mock trialers refer to me as First Initial then My last name. It's a joke from a few years ago. I don't mind though, they respect me because I respect them.

14. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2010

When I was at school we had:
    Mr Bullock known as 'Beefy'
    Mr Starling known as 'Joe' (Stalin) or 'pecker'
    We had a 'soapy' named because of his habit of rubbing his hands together as if washing them.
    We had Mr Moore known as 'Archie' (a famous boxer)
    We had Mr Cameron known as 'Toad' because he resembled the Wind in the Willows character.
    We had Mr Dolman who was German. He was known as 'Adolf'!
    Mr Emery was known as 'H' because he could not pronounce the letter as in "Come 'ere boy what's that on your 'ead"?
    Mr Pinney had long hair and a droopy moustache and so was known as Ringo (Think Sergeant Pepper)!
    Mr Williams limped and so was known as 'Peg leg'!
    Mr Hingley was Welsh and so was 'Taffy'.
    Mr Gaskin was head teacher and so was 'The Beak'.
    Mr Briscoe was very effeminate and minced about the school, he was known as 'Brenda'.
    We had a 'Yogi' a 'Basher' a 'slug' a 'Paddy' and a 'Pancho'
    Mr Bacon was known as 'Neddy' because his voice reminded us of one of the Goons from the radio show of the same name.
    Mr Clarke was known as 'Nobby' because all Clarkes are called Nobby!
    There were more but time has wiped my memory.
    We had no female teachers.

Just remembered. Mr Cunningham was known as 'daddy'because of his habit of giving us mock sympathy and saying "Come to daddy"!

15. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 31, 2010

We had Mrs. Pick 'N Flick in 4th grade - allegedly she'd pick her nose and flick it across the classroom. can't say I ever saw her do that though, but then I only had her for one period though.

In high school there was Hutch - but I believe he told us on the first day we could call him that (it was a shortened form of his last name)

And then there was "Tommy" - a teacher whose first name was Tom, but was so young he had been a classmate to some of our older siblings. 90% of the grade would fill out college forms with his name, address, and phone number. (particularly when the one university came to school that no one wanted to attend, but that would call you relentlessly until you agreed to fill out an application)

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 31, 2010

My team teacher in MI is called Mrs I by the kids, as her last night is a bit long.

In high school, we called our newspaper teacher 'Mern'-can't remember what her real name was. A student decades ago gave her the name and it stuck. Mr. Bender was 'Bennie' and Mr. Steeb was 'coach' because so many of us were on his track/cross country teams. Our principal was 'Doc Nelson' because we mocked her phD from Pheonix. Our band teacher was 'Kirb' instead of Mr. Kirby. All names, minus the principal, was out of extreme love. We were a really small, tight high school and the teachers were beloved. Both Mern and Coach Steeb have passed away, and we all gathered back at the high school auditorium for their memorials. Kirb regularly invites us band alumni to march in summer parades with them. Good times.

Many private schools around here have kids call teachers by their first name. If I get this job at the school I'm interviewing at, I would be called by my first name-I've thought briefly about which version I want to give them (there are several ways to shorten my formal first name).