Teacher's Lounge

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by girlblue16, Sep 3, 2009.

1. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Sep 3, 2009

What's the topic of conversation in your teacher's lounge at lunch? Do teachers even EAT in there at lunch? Several teachers at my school eat lunch in their own room, sometimes with other teachers, sometimes with kids making up work. The year seems to start out with most teachers hanging out in the lounge, but as the months go on, less and less teachers show up.

Just curious what types of things you guys talk about in there. Current events? Students? Faculty? Reality TV?

Lately what I've been *hearing is a lot of bitching about changing kids classrooms/schedules.

*I do plenty more listening than speaking. :blush:

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

A little of everything. I sit with mostly math teachers so they talk about math and how to teach it. And some complaints about schedule changes.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2009

I have to admit, I've missed the first 3 days.

But the lunch conversation at my table last year ranged from our kids (both OUR kids and the ones we teach), to current events to the weather to what's going on in our classes to anything and everything. Sometimes we vent, sometimes we celebrate, sometimes we eat and run to get work done.

But it's a time and place in my day I always enjoy.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Sep 3, 2009

Like any staff lounge, we can have our gripe sessions. We also talk about teaching strategies and curriculum, but we like to talk about TV shows and movies and weekend plans to give ourselves a mental break.

I am notorious for blatantly changing the subject if it gets to be too much of a downer re:complaints about behaviors, scheduling, meetings, etc. Most of the time, even the complainers want to talk about something non-school related for a while!

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

I eat in the lounge every day, it's the only "free" time I get all day long. It really depends on who's in there. For the most part we are all very good friends, we've cried together, buried parents, birthed kids, married kids, divorced kids, and had a thousand laughs. Our Principal will pop in and join in the conversation about his family, movies, current events, or school stuff.

Don't avoid spending time with colleagues there, it's amazing how conversations can be controlled and negative topics nipped in the bud. Help make it a pleasant place to belong.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

Our staff room conversations were the best... often it would be about our families, sometimes the funny things kids did, and often it included the annoying things kids did... (though we rarely if ever got to the kid-bashing stage that often occurs in staffrooms)... shopping trips (these conversations weren't as interesting for the lone male) and lots and lots of sarcastic humor. I was in heaven at that school! :lol:

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2009

Just started eating there in the last 3 weeks or so AND it is a cool, positive and TIME TO entertain the co-workers! They laugh @ all my crazy jokes! (I love it! It would be my next job after Pre-K teaching!) One of the teachers from our lunch group, was crying today, went looking for me, and I had to cheer her up. She had a falling out with the Management people.:( I happen to have my OUTDATED music that I have in my CD pouch, so I put on "Shake:eek: It Like a Salt Shaker", "Oooops! I Did It Again", and even some island music, with a bit of dancing demo and she participated. She was laughing up a STORM, letting all her bad feelings out, and she left in much better mood. Anyway, it is a BIG change from just eating alone in my car @ my FAVORITE PARKING SPOT, under my cool little tree.:thumb: You get to really know about some of your co-workers and how they operate. They watch what they say to me though because I AM SO BLUNT WITH MY REPLIES.:D
    Rebel1

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 3, 2009

We don't have a lounge.

We have a couple of workrooms that are big enought for 4-5 people at a time to sit at a table. Rarely are they used for teacher gatherings.

We eat lunch in the cafeteria, at the teacher's table. During planning times we will gather in each other's rooms.

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 3, 2009

We have about 8 people in the faculty room during my lunch period. I LOVE going in there. It is the only time during the day that I get to talk to people older than 4- I NEED to be in there.

Our conversations are mostly about current events- I watch CNN in the morning, another teacher watches another news channel, and one always has the paper, so we all compare notes on interesting stories. We also talk sports....well, I talk sports with the one other teacher that follows sports. Conversation also inevitably turns to children and house remodeling, which I quickly see my way out of and look for someone to talk Yankees with. =)

11. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Sep 4, 2009

I rarely if ever go in the teachers lounge. I don't have time or I just prefer to eat by myself. I'm kind of a loner I guess, but a happy loner!

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2009

You can divorce your kids in your state?