Teachers, look at this salary schedule in CA!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by futuremathsprof, Nov 22, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 12, 2018

Well, that’s poopoo.

Here is an example of what I described earlier:

http://www.sfusd.edu/en/assets/sfus...dules/18-19 salary schedule K-12 teachers.pdf

In the farthest column, teachers get anywhere from a $1,000-$4,000 increase depending on the year.

2. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 12, 2018

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2018

Are you as open with your salary discussions at school with your colleagues as you are with us?

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  4. greendream

greendream Cohort

Dec 13, 2018

They agreed with your logic to pay one new teacher extra based on a statewide minimum wage increase. Also, you also negotiated a cash payout instead of health insurance. Riiiiiiight.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2018

futuremathsprof--I suggest you think long and hard before deciding to make a jump to a public school district, even if they are high paying. In a public school district, at least here, there isn't room for any negotiation about salary increases, or bonuses. Every teacher, at the same step, earns the same amount, regardless of how "effective" their program is deemed to be or what subject they teach.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    swansong1 and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 13, 2018

I agree that if you want negotiations, you'd better stick to private. Public doesn't work like that.

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2018

It is!!! Ours are mostly between $800-$1500 depending on the level.

8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2018

I live in CA (North Bay) and have literally never heard it. I just realized that you're at a private school, so I *guess* it's possible that you negotiated a $7k raise. I am super curious what school you're at, though...

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 13, 2018

By your logic, shouldn't your school be willing to pay you the same amount as Mountain View Los Altos High School District pays its teachers to try and keep you around?

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2018

It is a lot better than it was when I started there in 2008 -- but that was before housing prices started to skyrocket. My rent circa 2008 was $1600 for a one-bedroom in a non-trendy neighborhood. The same place rents for 3x that now!

11. greendream

greendream Cohort

Dec 13, 2018

I'd say it was still highly, highly unlikely since most private schools pay their teachers less than public schools. Even for private schools that do pay their teachers that well, I just can't see an administrator agreeing to pay one single teacher--who is new mind you--a bonus based on a statewide minimum wage increase. What in the world does a minimum wage increase have to do with a salaried employee? The internal logic of the situation just does not add up to me.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 13, 2018

Anyone else curious as to whether or not this elite private school truly exists? Or if it does indeed exist, have the details been embellished?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Dec 13, 2018

Yeah, I wonder that every time he successfully negotiates another improbable raise.

14. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2018

Especially in an affordable part of the Bay Area that is somehow also within reasonable commuting distance of Mountain View...

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2018

I have wondered from the get-go if we were being pranked...

16. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

True, but you can negotiate in the beginning *before* you are hired. For instance, in high-demand subjects math and physics teachers can ask to be placed higher on the salary schedule — starting at, say step 5, than starting at step 1. I’ve seen it happen many times in just in my municipality alone as I’ve several friends who are public schoolteachers. I don’t just communicate with my colleagues.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  17. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

Elite? I would hardly says it’s elite. Established, certainly, but certainly not elite. 60% of students are primarily middle class (mostly) and/or upper class and 40% receive financial/tuition assistance and fall under the working class.

18. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

You’re most definitely not. I’m sorry that your teacher unions are negotiating for you so poorly that you cannot receive better pay and benefits. I like that my admin are receptive and recognize that good performance should be rewarded.

Speaking of which, I’ve recently been in talks with my CEO (in private) to be paid monthly instead of biweekly and I made it known that I was displeased with the switch to biweekly checks from seminmonthly. His words were, “I’m working on it and will get back to you as soon as I can. Just give me time.”

That’s the way it *should* be as my request was not unreasonable for I’m paid on a salaried contract and so I make the same regardless of how much I work.

19. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

Um, I’ve only ever negotiated two raises (first year I was hired and last year). Where did I say I negotiated more than that? The health insurance option to accept a cash payout was a survey that went out and I almost totally jumped on the bandwagon when I read it. I was like, “How do I sign up?”

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  20. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

No, because the cost of living should correlate with salary. I think I should make low six figures eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later.

21. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

I was not the only employee who got the boost. My colleagues and I ALL got a $2,000 annual increase. I just started with a $5,000 boost initially (please read my hiring experience above) and the $2,000 was added on to that figure at the end of last year’s contract. As not all of my colleagues have advanced degrees, they only get $3,000-$4,000 bumps from contract to contract (I ask around a lot) — I think that ~55% of staff members have Masters and/or Doctorate degrees. The rest just have their Bachelors and teaching license.

And I’m not new. I’ve been working at my private school for almost 5 years and have already signed my letter of intent (this week) to return for a 6th-year as I don’t think it’s time yet to relocate. I might eventually, but only when I feel the time is right. I just wanted to hear the perspective of other teachers because I’ve never see such a high salary for teachers before in any salary schedule I’ve read thus far. It’s just incredible.

22. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

I don’t want to give out that information because I don’t want to lose my privacy.

23. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

You can before you are hired.

24. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

I would be willing to give up salary negotiations if I was paid six figures. How could I be unhappy with that?

And I would do whatever my admin told me to do, so long as I was paid accordingly, even teach all the worst math classes. Large amounts of money make me extremely happy and I would be smiling ear to ear everytime my paycheck was direct deposited and I saw that sizeable sum. I would say to myself, “Self, you’ve done good. Keep it up!”

whizkid likes this.
  25. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

And for you naysayers who don’t think I make what I make, here is proof:

https://imgur.com/a/1cnFy2L

I make money my priority. There’s nothing wrong with that.

26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 15, 2018

Personally, I’m not interested in the school you’re at. I am, however, curious about which part of NorCal you’re in.

27. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

That would enable you to refine your search and I won’t do that. Sorry about my non-answer.

28. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2018

I think your braggadocio has gone over the top...

greendream and mathmagic like this.
  29. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

Well, I did this to counter the back and forth that my private school doesn’t exist — it does — and that my situation was so unheard of and implausible. Last I checked, people negotiate in the private sector all the time and those kind of raises are commonplace. And since I work at a private school in an affluent area, I don’t see why couldn’t I negotiate on my own behalf as I’m legally allowed to do so?

I have my best interests at heart, especially more than a teacher’s union does. Always.

30. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 15, 2018

So how does showing you have a bank account with Wells Fargo and money in it prove you work at a private school?

greendream likes this.
  31. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

It doesn’t. I showed proof of my income and should have been more careful with the wording of my first sentence.

And why, pray tell, would I frequently talk about my working in a private school if I worked in a public one? Wouldn’t that be totally nonsensical and a huge waste of effort over a period of several years? Logic dictates that what I’ve said previously has a basis in fact.

And the only way I could prove I worked at my private school would be to reveal what school I worked at and my identity and that’s not happening.

Also, if you multiply my monthly average ($9234.40) by 12, you will see what my annual income is, which coinsides with what I’ve said all along, with that being that I makes lower six figures (the result of my teaching + tutoring).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  32. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 15, 2018

I don't trust Wells Fargo AT ALL. I hear nothing, but the worst about that bank. Ally online bank is where it's at.

33. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Dec 15, 2018

I think the issue FMP that people have is that you keep saying that money is important to you but then you say a lot of things that imply that the rest of us are less worthy if we care about other thing. Of course you say that isn't your intention but it is certainly how it comes across. How what you say is received certainly matters as much as how you intend it. If money is all you care about great - have at it - just don't bring money into every conversation - as the rest of us don't want to talk about it all day.

Moreover, since your school is perfect and your boss thinks you are wonderful and you get everything you want there, I'm not really sure that money is the most important thing to you

I think what others are trying to say is that the grass isn't always greener. Your posts suggest that you would have a hard time with a number of things at a public school - and if that were the case you might stop feeling that money is the be all and end all - because you might be miserable.

Moreover, 5 years is "new" in this profession. I often learn a lot from people with more experience and I've been in a lot longer than you.

greendream likes this.
  34. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

What have you heard? I say this because I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with Wells Fargo and it’s associates always say they appreciate my business and are willing to go above and beyond for me. In fact, the tellers at my local bank call me by name and wave me over when I walk in to make my cash deposits from tutoring.

I always feel appreciated and happy whenever I leave my bank and feel like I’m in good hands. Hmm.

35. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

36. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

What is the title of this thread? What did you think we were going to talk about? You don’t have to talk about money, but you clicked this thread and posted in it. You could just have ignored it. I didn’t make you do anything.

And when other posters talk about money (career advancement which usually comes with salary advancement) I chime in and people such as yourself act surprised that I do. I am not alone in this — hundreds of millions of people discuss their salaries so that is nothing new.

Penultimately, I don’t understand why you and others seem to get so personal. I talk about a topic and it occasionally gets brought back to some philosophical life lesson. (For instance, I have been asked why I prefer money and when I explain, people get frustrated with my response and say money’s not everything. Then why did they ask?)

I get it, you like intangibles besides money and that’s fine. I never said my lifestyle is superior or the only lifestyle there is. I am just an advocate for other people who are *willing to listen* to improve their monetary standing. If I can convince someone to take the better paying job, then I will.

I don’t need you and others to say that money is not important and that intangibles are the only things that seem to matter in life. I also never said — I’m not saying you indicated this — that friends and family are not important. I love my dear friends and family just as much as I love money and you know how much I love money, so I that implies that I love my family members tremendously.

I just don’t understand the idea on here that financial independence and intangibles are somehow mutually exclusive, as if you have to give up one for the other. I could get a wife and kids if I wanted to. I just choose not to because that’s not for *me*. I didn’t say or imply that that should be the only lifestyle for everyone. What I do say to people, however, is that if you have the chance to make more money and your personal life would be about the same if choose to, then just consider it and not dismiss it outright and later complain about how little you make.

Less than half my posts are about money. I’ve made several posts that don’t reference money at all.

37. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

38. futuremathsprof

Dec 15, 2018

I have never said nor implied that you and others are less worthy. I have stated that I couldn’t possibly imagine or accept making any less than six figures because that’s the lifestyle I don’t want to live.

Why do you think I advocate for teachers to be able to negotiate for themselves? Why do you think I encourage aspiring teachers to get a credential in an in-demand field, so that they have better job prospects? I have also purported that I wish public school districts cared more about their teachers like mine as they should inherently recognize their worth like mine does. It’s the moral thing to do!

And as I have said to another poster who said that that I think I’m a better teacher than he is (elsewhere in this forum), he could very well be a much better teacher than I am, but that doesn’t negate that I’m still incredibly good at what I do. My saying that I’m a good math teacher and use effective teaching practices doesn’t equate to their being a bad teacher because they utilize different practices than I do, for instance.

With that said, I believe that ALL schools should recognize those teachers who perform the best and offer incentives to capture and keep good talent, private and public schools alike. I’ve not said that my private school is better than it’s public school counterpart, just that it is better than *some* public schools in how it conducts its business. After all, why shouldn’t teachers get a bonus (especially when districts have a surplus of monies) when their students do well?

My private school rightfully says that it would not exist without the dedicated teachers who work there and so it does everything that it economically and emotionally can to support us. My final point is this: If the district/school/whatever can afford to pay its teacher’s more without affecting its bottom line or making its fiscal outlook untenable, then it should.

whizkid likes this.
  39. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Dec 15, 2018

I posted in this thread because I have thought about your approach towards money in many threads where you have brought up money or focused on you when that wasn't the topic of the thread. I try not to derail a thread so this seemed like the right place to share my persepective.

40. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Dec 16, 2018

Well you know how some people think.......its all about the children, every bit of it. Your personal satisfaction be damned. Don't take that better paying job because the kids at your current school need you, keep sacrificing your own enjoyment for individuals who are only their temporarily who'll eventually grow up, go to life and make three times what you make. Matter of fact, never take vacation, never take personal time, just work year round with only weekends off. Oops, nope, dedicate every weekend to your teaching profession as well. Who needs school breaks? Those parents need help with their brats!

futuremathsprof likes this.