Teachers, look at this salary schedule in CA!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by futuremathsprof, Nov 22, 2018.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 23, 2018

Yup - it's crazy high to buy (or rent) in that area for sure! It's a very nice area though for sure. I loved the three years I spent there, but the cost of living is nuts. You'd need two people making in the six figures to be able to buy something, and even then a big chunk of your salary would be going towards your mortgage. Which is why as much as I liked living in that area, there's no way we'd move back unless I hit the lottery LOL!

2. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Nov 23, 2018

But
    But if your commute home each afternoon is 1.5 hours to 2 hours, wouldn't that cut into your tutoring time?

Driving 3 to 4 hours a day on top of a full-time job would be too much for me.

Teaching is stressful but you seem to be well-adapted to your current environment. If you make a switch like this, be aware that there will be many different stressors to which you'll have to adapt, different teaching expectations, different expectations from parents. I might have you mixed up with someone else, but I think you are the poster who reuses old lesson plans pretty much identically from year-to-year? If you switch schools, I'd expect you to have to revamp your lesson plans to align with different standards and pacing.

3. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Nov 23, 2018

I just caution you to realize that a new school, especially a jump from private to public, can be a huge change. Although your job title might be the same, the job itself could be very different.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Nov 23, 2018

You’ve raised some valid points that I would like to address. First, MVLA district is an hour farther than I current drive to work, which is not too bad. Second, I largely tutor in that area anyway and the surrounding schools after work so my total commute time would be about the same since I drive there after school pretty much every day.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  5. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

1) I do LOVE my present job, but I also said if I ever find greener pastures that I would move on. The advantages would have to outweigh the disadvantages.

2) I know many public schoolteachers who negotiated their steps on the salary schedule when they moved to another school because their field was in high demand. I could asked to be placed higher on the salary schedule, but I wouldn’t be able to be negotiate after I’m hired and my contract is finalized pretty much. And the salary would more than make up for the loss of my negotiating power thereafter.

3) Money is my primary motivating factor. I will always follow where the money is. At my current school, my salary schedule will max out at 100k. I want to make much more than that every single year that I work, not including tutoring.

6. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Nov 23, 2018

One more thought: before uprooting your life based on a job and tutoring income, make sure the district allows side tutoring. My district doesn't allow me to tutor for a fee students who attend my school. So look into that or any restrictions on tutoring district students.

7. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

I attended public schools my entire life and I know what to expect. It will not be too much of a shocker. I can adapt so long as the pay is good — trust me on this one, lol!

8. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

Thank you! I didn’t consider this. I’d be willing to give up some of my tutoring clients since I would make a ton more anyhow without it or at least less of it.

9. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Nov 23, 2018

I mean that what is expected of you as a teacher could be very different. I have worked at two different schools in the same district and expectations were very different.
    But good luck, however it works out.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 23, 2018

This! Parents in my area have to rely on college students because teachers can’t tutor students in our district for a fee.

11. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

This is why I plan to stay where I am currently living to commute to work. I pay $550/month at the moment to rent a two-story house. A lot of my friends commute to the Bay Area to work (1.5-2 hour commute just to get to work). A lot of people do this to have cheaper housing outside of the city. And as aforementioned, I have 63k saved up for a down payment, which I can easily use to purchase a 450k home in my area. That still would be affordable to me because my bills total like $1,000/month (I cut down my previous amount because I paid off my car several months ago). I would then pay that off within 7-8 years.

Worst case scenario: Let’s say I do decide to move to the area. I still could afford it because $3,000 a month is not that much higher than my current bills. I would make ~$150k after taxes (teaching plus tutoring clients not in the area), minus $36,000/year, and I still have $114,000 to live off of. Very doable since I’m not ever going to get married or have a family as I prefer the single life.

I don’t see how people can’t afford to live off of $114k after all their housing costs are paid for. Case in point, I have a friend who lives in New York and makes ~$150k after taxes and I showed her how she still had six figures of income after paying all of her bills. Well, she no longer complains about paying a lot for housing there anymore because she still can live very comfortably.

12. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

Understood. I can adapt still, though. I am the type of person that will be happy so long as they receive a beefy paycheck.

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 23, 2018

How will you answer the interview question "if you are happy at your current job, why do you want to work here?"

14. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

I will say something along the lines of, “Though I am happy at my current place of employment, I feel that MVLA would be a better fit in that I would have more room for growth and would be able interact with a much broader audience. And though my current school is very academically strong, MVLA is also rated one of the top public school districts in CA and so I would welcome the opportunity to work with other exemplary educators. Furthermore, I was drawn by your mission statement, as it coincides exactly with my teaching philosophy, and to your district’s like-minded pursuit of academic excellence. In short, I feel that I would make a positive contribution to your school and would be able to bring a lot to the table as I am extremely knowledgeable about maths and the sciences.”

I would then show my extensive resume, plus else.

Something like that.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 23, 2018

Have you seen any openings on EdJoin? I wonder if there will be any math vacancies for the upcoming year. Would you be willing to teach middle school math? Sometimes, those are harder to fill than high school math positions.