Teachers, look at this salary schedule in CA!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by futuremathsprof, Nov 22, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Nov 23, 2018

First, I told the poster to quit because they really want to quit, they would prefer to work in academia at the collegiate level, and their mental health was quickly deteriorating to the point that it was ruining their family life and their family members became afraid of them. Context is important, which you left out.

Second, I get along great with my colleagues. They call me a robot because I, according to them, can function on very little sleep (this is true as I don’t really like sleeping and sleep as little as possible), I always do what my superiors ask of me without complaining, I skip meals (I don’t have lunch since I tutor) and I continue working without losing focus for many hours at a time, etc. These are the reasons *they* have for why they call me a robot.

Third, working long hours (12-14) doesn’t phase me. When I’m at work, I have a razor-sharp focus and my brain does not tolerate getting off task. When I’m not at work, I enjoy leisure time as I feel I’ve earned it. I have no problem working 60+ hour workweeks if I can take several weeks off at a time throughout the year as I do due to how our school schedule works. Again, different strokes for different folks.

2. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 24, 2018

Is the hyper focus on money a new thing, or have you always been money-driven?

My DH and I are both good with money, but it’s not something that drives our every moment. I do know people who are money driven and often there was a trigger that sent them into that focus.

Those salaries listed are unimaginable here, but so are the housing prices listed. I don’t see how people ever buy homes. :dizzy:

YoungTeacherGuy and a2z like this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 24, 2018

This actually makes me rather sick about the Utah housing market right now. My cute little 1950s house of 1200 square feet we bought for a song is now valued at over 300,000. We could sell it, but what would be we buy in this market?

5. futuremathsprof

Nov 24, 2018

I’ve been money-driven ever since I was 5-years old. I would stare on in envy at my wealthier peers and incessantly covet their lifestyles. It has been my driving force ever since. And every time I thought of slacking I thought about losing money and lucrative opportunities and it spurred me to work even harder.

I came from humble beginnings, did not make excuses for anything, and worked extremely hard to get to where I am. Never once did I make an excuse because I was impoverished growing up, or say I couldn’t do it because I lived near a meth lab, or because my grandparents died, or because one of my best friends died of cancer, or because I was held at gunpoint once, etc., for why I couldn’t succeed. I realized very early on that I was on my own and society would not help me achieve the lifestyle I desperately desired. I came to the realization that the only persons who would enable me attain the lifestyle I coveted were me, myself, and I, and thus I have only ever relied on myself.

Anyway, short story long, I plan to commute there as the housing prices are astronomical. The allure is that sweet, sweet salary, haha!

6. futuremathsprof

Nov 24, 2018

Exactly! But at least you have a house to call home. I’ve always rented because homes are SO expensive in California. It is infuriating.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 24, 2018

I was curious about the money because my mom grew up in poverty, but my dad did not. They had different views on money. Neither one was fixated with it, but my mom was definitely more careful with it than my dad was.

There are many people in my community who commute an hour or longer to their job because it is less expensive to live here than other places nearby. I'm only 4 miles away from my school. My DH was only a mile from his school, but when we married he moved here. His house was just too big for two people. It increased his commute to between 30 and 45 minutes, but he's okay with it because we are both close to retirement. He loves his school, so he didn't want to move schools.

I hope you like your new school. Schools can be SOOO different. I

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 24, 2018

Hah. We actually blame a lot of the Californians migrating over here and buying houses outright.

I really am grateful to have a home. With a yard and one we could technically live in for decades if we wanted. I know a lot of people who were living with relatives while saving for their dream homes who might be out of luck for the next while.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 24, 2018

I for one am still in shock about how less stressed I am since I switched schools. Yes, there is still some stress because I am a teacher and all that, but it's a universe of difference.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 24, 2018

:eek: That makes sense as to why so many people rent, I suppose. One of my co-workers bought a 3-bedroom house (maybe 1200 square foot) on my street last year for $85,000. A brand new one closer to 1200 square foot across the street from me just sold for under $100,000. They're both on half-acre lots. Mine is around 2000 square foot, 4-bedroom, 2 bath, 3-car garage, fenced yard, 1.5 acres, brick, mature trees that was valued at $146,000. Sounds like I couldn't buy a shack in most of your areas. I'm about 50 miles from a major city, so it's not so bad.

a2z and futuremathsprof like this.
  11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2018

I'm about 45 minutes from Toronto; if you're lucky, you can find an older (20 year +) small townhouse in my town for under $450 000.Housing prices here are ridiculous; my children will never be able to afford to buy a house in this area.

a2z likes this.
  12. futuremathsprof

Nov 24, 2018

What the heck?! Lucky!!!

13. futuremathsprof

Nov 24, 2018

That is really sad... I feel your pain. I don’t see how the housing market is sustainable in California. It’s like developers only care about people who make upper six figures and above.

14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 24, 2018

I wouldn't mind moving to your area---I have a few cousins in Kentucky and Georgia who laughing compare their home prices to ours (gah!!!) though I think the humidity would get to me....

15. futuremathsprof

Nov 24, 2018

Glad to hear everything worked out. :)

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 24, 2018

Yeah, I hate humidity. July & August are ridiculous. It can go a month either way, too. I do like that we have four distinct seasons, though.

17. futuremathsprof

Nov 24, 2018

I was born in Florida and I don’t know how you people do it. Humidity is the worst!!!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2018

Backroads likes this.
  19. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 25, 2018

Sadly that is the circumstance in much of the US, especially where the jobs are. Not teaching jobs, in general, but mid to large cities where all types of jobs are plentiful. Then you have affordable homes in smaller or rural areas but the pay for most jobs and the cost to commute in rural areas makes homes affordable too. Then add debt - student debt, credit card debt, and lack of credit for some it makes even those less expensive homes out of reach for many.

I watch home shows off and on and am amazed at how much people can spend on houses and wonder how they stay financially afloat. How do you buy a 800K house then have another 175K to do renovations when the jobs they list can't be paying that well. Plus many have families. It just astonishes me.

20. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 25, 2018

I would be happy to stay in Utah with the air as dry as sandpaper...

21. futuremathsprof

Nov 25, 2018

Thanks for the link! However, this post assumes the person is only making $25/hr in wages. I make more than that just from my teaching job alone. And I spend about $250/month in gas, on average, not $19/day, which comes out to $570/month, as I am a single person. And I make substantially more than that tutoring (4.8 times more than $25/hr), so it behooves me to drive the 45 minutes to 1.5 hours after school (depending on the client and traffic).

It’s a matter of weighing my opportunity cost. In this case, my profit margins are huge ($3,840/month working 2 hours per day for 16 days a month) and so it would be fiscally nonsensical to not do what I currently do. If I worked 3 hours per day that comes out to $5,760/month, so it’s totally worth it. Yes, commuting is not fun, but the reward more than makes up for it.

Doing the math, if I just work 2 hours a day for 16 days a month ($3,840), then my profit is $3,840 - $250 or $3,590/month or $43,080/year. Yeah, I think I’ll still commute, haha!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  22. futuremathsprof

Nov 25, 2018

True that!

23. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2018

Wow...I never would have thought you would want to switch schools!

I would do a lot of research before switching for $$, especially because you seem to have job security at your current school. I am possibly going to start job searching in the district that I live in currently for next year because the pay is much better and the union is stronger. However, I've only been in my current district this year so I don't have tenure, etc.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 25, 2018

Usually high salary goes with high cost of living. So you're at the same as lower salary - lower cost of living.
    I love it here in the Central Valley, very low cost of living but I'm still making the same I would in San Diego.
    I mean originally didn't love the Central Valley of Ca, it's a high poverty area, etc, not the prettiest, very stinky from all the farms, lol, but we have more outdoors here than anywhere else in Cali that I can think of. A win - win for me.

25. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 25, 2018

Nope. I don't think there is anything but a trailer to purchase on land that rents 800+ per month at that price. It is so sad how expensive housing is and rents aren't any better.

26. futuremathsprof

Nov 25, 2018

It is a very difficult decision to make and I am definitely weighing the pros and cons. I do have job security at my current school and I would miss it. I may or may not still, but it’s nice to have options.

The other thing is that I just don’t want to miss out on that unimaginable salary. I mean, it’s as much as principals and superintendents make and I’ve always envied them for it. And right now, I make 69k. Next year, I’ll make 76k as per my negotiated contract. The year after, I’ll make 83k, and then 90k and then 95k and then 100k, 100k, 100k, ...

At MVLA, I would be in the BA + 60 column (Masters + 15 currently but soon to be Masters + 24), and so I would make $112,764 + Masters stipend ($2,582) or $115,346. Then it would increase by $4,000-$5,000/year, which is a little less than my current annual increase. And that would quickly rise to the 145k range with time.

And I would be able to tutor less because I would still make six figures without it. The only reason why I tutor so much right now is because I don’t ever want to make less than six figures. That is out of the question for me.

27. futuremathsprof

Nov 25, 2018

I know, right?! Do you think the new governor of California will keep his promise and focus on the housing crisis? I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he will...

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 25, 2018

I’m at $55,212 with 25 years and a MA. I’ll retire at $55,720 unless we get a raise, which isn’t likely. My DH is in another district, and our salaries are nearly identical. He gets a stipend ($1200?) for being the school technology coordinator, and I get one ($250) for writing leader.

I don’t know anywhere we could make substantially more money without a yucky commute.

29. futuremathsprof

Nov 25, 2018

Why do they pay you so little when you have a Masters and have been teaching for 25 years? I really don’t understand how any school district can justify indefinite pay freezes.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  30. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 26, 2018

I think I assumed she had a lower cost of living where she was.

31. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 26, 2018

School budget is based off of the ability to tax the community (and sometimes state depending on the constitution of the state). You can't tax people more and more to pay teachers, police, firemen, etc more and more because eventually people can't afford to live there. They will be taxed out of their homes.

One of the reasons against public servant unions is that they can force the tax base into paying more and the tax base has no choice but to have the services. School is even more of an issue because kids are mandated by law to go to school. There is no law that I know of that says a community has to have a fire service or police force although they are absolutely necessary for an area to have one whether at the city or county level.

32. futuremathsprof

Nov 26, 2018

Good point, but when I see salaries only raise like $1,000 over 20 years or not at all, that’s just ridiculous. I’d wager that the people living in the area had regular salary increases, so why shouldn’t the teachers and other public servants in that municipality? There shouldn’t be exhorbitant increases as that would be untenable for the very reason you mentioned, but how about something at all?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  33. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 26, 2018

That is where you would be wrong. In most industries and professions, in the last decade, people have had raises go down to nothing, next to nothing, or even had wages slashed. The last 10 years or so have not been good to people's pocketbook.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    greendream likes this.
  34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 26, 2018

It’s not a pay freeze. I didn’t explain it well. On the salary scale, there are ranges of years experience after year 20. I don’t expect to see another jump on the scale until I retire.

As far as pay, My salary isn’t low for here. I’m making more than most in the community. With the cost of living in our community, I could easily support myself on my salary alone, and I even supported two adults for years. With my DH and I both teaching, we are doing quite well.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  35. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 26, 2018

^
    I agree that it depends on cost of living! Teachers in my state make 80-90K after about 8 years of teaching but we have a very high cost of living.

36. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 26, 2018

It makes me chuckle when I think that those of us in the little ol' Central Valley make the same (if not more) than what they're earning in Los Angeles/San Diego. We're a hidden gem.

37. sportsguy

sportsguy Rookie

Nov 27, 2018

I've thought about going to a district like this for a few years when I'm nearing retirement so that I can max out my pension.

38. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 27, 2018

My sister served a religious mission in I believe the central Valley area. She says she's in love with it.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 8, 2018

40. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Dec 8, 2018

Interesting discussion. Just remember that money isn't everything. Eventually most of us learn that time is a more valuable component than money. It has a way of slipping away. While I appreciate what money can provide, I appreciate more that I can spend time doing things instead of just commuting.