Teachers Laid Off

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Blue, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 22, 2009

School is ready to start in a couple weeks, and one district just laid off 60 teachers. What a shock to them. Evendentially, their budget was still not balanced, so they chopped 60. How horrible to all. They had already terminated 60 at the end of the year. The new 60 did not even have a warning so that they could look for work.

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2009

I am so sorry to read about this. It's very hard with how the economy is. I hope they will be able to make ends meet for now.
    My heart goes out to them.
    Rebel1

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2009

Wow, Blue: I'd thought Oregon teachers weren't getting hammered as hard as California teachers have been, but this is more than a little sobering.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 22, 2009

The fact that they didn't have warning to have sufficient enough time to look says it all.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2009

I put this on another thread but junior college instructors in my area were pink slipped on Friday and school starts Monday!

7. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Aug 22, 2009

I know the economy is horrible, but it is a darn shame education has to suffer!! What about those kids?! What about those families who will be suffering because mom or dad is not bringing their usual salary home. There should have been some type of notice even if they was thinking it over the summer!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

Wow. That is really sad and potentially devastating for those teachers. They did something similar last year in Dallas. In the end they were able to hire back almost all those teachers and the others they helped to find other teaching positions. I hope that this district helps their people find teaching positions as well! I wonder if they get some kind of severance package since they already signed a contract?:( I guess things could be a lot worse for those seeking employment. I wish you all good luck!:mellow:

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

It's not the layoffs that bother me as much as the timing!! Come on, what in the budget has changed THAT radically over the last month or 2? Labor Day is 2 weeks away!!

How horrible that they didn't even get the chance to compete for whatever local jobs there were!

10. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

Depending on how horrible the budget is some of the higher ups could have accepted a pay cut, use the money that they're not going to receive anymore to help fix the budget, and have all those teachers retain their positions as teachers.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

Wow, how horrible to find out now! If they had been laid off in June at least they could have spent the summer looking and contemplating relocation. To start a search now, eek!

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

I agree, this is terrible. Hopefully they can collect unemployment while looking for work! A district near me laid off 110, then hired back only about 25 so they still have 85 or so that never got hired back. I don't know how they do it.

13. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

This frightens me. I've never heard of teachers getting pink slipped so soon before the school semester starts.
    What I also find disconcerting is that junior college enrollement is way up as a cost cutting measure enroute to a four year colleges. Moreover, junior colleges are finally getting the respect they deserve.
    Can you tell me what junior college this is?

14. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

You're so right. In my humble opinion, a big factor in our terrible economic crisis is "higher ups" salaries are too high so there's not enough money to put back in the the operation of their companies, which includes employee salaries and paying down company debt.

15. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

That's awful! Those teachers must be devastated.

16. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

My fiance was supposed to start a full time adjunct position at a college tomorrow. On Friday he was told enrollment was very low for his program, and at the moment only 1 of his 4 classes have enough students for him to teach the course.

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2009

How awful for those teachers to not even be warned that they should be looking for other jobs.

18. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 24, 2009

This is my greatest fear. Even though I just started a new position. I'm nervous about losing funding.

19. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2009

BerniceBob,

Grossmont in San Diego County so probably Cuyamaca, as well. I don't know how all the remaining faculty are going to handle the students either. I am assuming some of the faculty will be rehired but I am wondering if they are cutting classes? I will find out more this week.

20. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

I think this is an even worse situation than the one many of us are in. We've known all summer that we need to find a job - but to think you have a job for the next year, only to find out just before you go back to work... that's awful. And it's not the first case I've heard about where people have gotten laid off after thinking they are going to be employed for the year.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2009

Can they legally do that?!? I mean I know in our school/union you have to be notified by so many days. I didn't even know this was really possible to be pink slipped like that. I think ours was 60 days maybe more...We got pink slipped actually 2 times my first year due to budgets.

This does STINK though for those teachers.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2009

The schools to which scmom refers are community colleges, and I'm guessing that these would have been adjunct lecturers, who are typically paid a lump sum per class; whether they work depends on whether the class is offered and enrolls enough bodies, and classes certainly do get canceled at the very last minute. Adjunct staff usually don't get sick leave, vacation, or health benefits, though the college does pay into a retirement system on their behalf.