Teachers in PA

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Feb 16, 2012.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Feb 16, 2012

I know PA is a hard state to obtain a teaching job. It sucks that a lot of districts want you to put your information on to PA-Educator.net. How else can we put our information out there since most school districts (at least Western PA) don't accept paper copies anymore?

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2012

I got hired 6 years ago when everyone still wanted paper copies of everything. You've got to do what they want I guess. Good Luck to you.

4. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Feb 16, 2012

I sent each district that uses an online site a cover letter. In the letter I gave my sales pitch and let them know that my information was on PAEducator and PAREAP if they cared to look and I would apply for individual positions as they came up. I had numerous districts call me and was hired for an LTS by a district that advertised on PAEducator.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2012

Try some job fairs in the area. It's another way they can put your face with the online stuff.

6. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Feb 16, 2012

Many districts still accept paper copies in my area, I'm in Central PA. I applied on PA-Educator and then also sent emails to every principal in my area whether or not they had openings.

The job I ended up with came about from one of the packets I sent out, the district did not have any vacancies when I sent the packet.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2012

Not PA but... all the districts around here are online, too. I applied online and uploaded but still dropped off resume and cover letters at individual schools (wasn't supposed to oops)... and then got hired on a drop-in.

Good luck!

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 16, 2012

I'm in Eastern PA but when I was job hunting I bookmarked probably 30 districts within a one hour drive and checked their job posting pages every day. It got me a LTS job that was not advertised anywhere else. You can try PA Reap too though I think they're mainly (or possibly only) Eastern PA.

9. springmac

springmac Companion

Feb 17, 2012

I just moved out of state from western PA a few months ago. I worked for over a year as a LTS for a school district just outside of Pittsburgh. Really, the schools only look at PA Educator. My P told me that they usually use GPA to weed through the applicants because there are so many. Then they do a screening interview. After the screening interview with HR, they call a few back to interview with the P's.
    The best way to get noticed is pick a district & sub. If you are seen in the same schools day in and day out, teachers will start to request you (if you are good & reliable). I did that for nearly two years before I was hired as a LTS.
    It's a very tough market in that area. I had a LTS job lined up for this school year, but my hubby was transferred out of state. I interviewed for a job here(Florida) and was hired the same day.
    How long have you been looking? Good luck to you!