Teachers in Oregon

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AngelHead, Jun 16, 2009.

1. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

I am considering a move to Oregon and have a considerable amount of questions for teachers in Oregon mostly about pay as I'm fearful I can't afford to buy a decent house in Portland on a teacher's salary.

If it's not too rude to ask, how much to do you make after taxes? Could a teacher with a single income afford to live in a decent part of the city and maybe have a yard to speak of? Are there teaching jobs available? What kinds of schools and districts are there and is the pay comparable from district to district?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

Unemployment is over 12% in Oregon. I live in Portland, and the schools are cutting budgets and laying off teachers. You can look up a pay scale on the teacher web site. You can certainly buy a house--they are getting cheaper all the time. I would not suggest moving to Oregon to teach unless you have a special teaching skill or speak a foreign language.

4. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

That is disappointing! I am a male Elementary teacher with an impressive resume and great references, is that special enough?

Again, if any teacher is Oregon (especially Portland) could tell me how much they actually make, that would really help me out.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

I am not a public school teacher, so I can't tell you. You could always apply and see what response you get. You might try some districts around Portland: Wooddurn (especially if you speak Spanish), Salem/Keiser, Tigard/Tualatin. You might like Washington State better, as they have a sales tax and no property taxes. Vancouver is just across the river and lots of people work/live in Oregon/Washington.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

I am on my laptop, and can not seem to copy the website, but go to Portland Public School Salary and you will see the pay schedule.