TEACHERS IN HOSPITALS, HELP!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jgmed, Feb 10, 2011.

1. jgmed

jgmed New Member

Feb 10, 2011

Hello All!

I am a current graduate student finishing my M.Ed in Moderate Disabilities. I have been doing research but am finding it very difficult on how to go about obtaining a position in a hospital setting. I am interested in working with children with illnesses that are hospitalized for an extended amount of time, specifically in oncology. I do not know if you are employed through a hospital or a private company? I surprisingly can not find much information about it online. I only found one job opening for such a position in Montana, which is very far from my home in Boston. Does anyone know anything about teaching to children in hospitals????? Thank you very much!

J. G.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 10, 2011

In my area, a teacher is sent from the school. So, you might check out school sites. When my DD was ill, a regular teacher came out after she taught all day.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

Call the Children's hospitals in your area. Some have an educational coordinator.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 10, 2011

I have seen jobs like these posted on district websites.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 10, 2011

I used to be a home/hospital teacher.

I was a full-time teacher with the district. The child must be assigned to homebound instruction by a physician. It cannot be a decision of the parent.

For students who were on long-term instruction (more than one grading period), I was the sole teacher. I made the lessons, graded papers, and assigned grades. For students on short-term instruction, I met with the teacher. The teacher gave me work, graded papers, and assigned grades. I just served as the instructor.

In most cases I did instruction in the student's home. Often the students who were hospitalized were too ill to complete the classwork.

7. CandorWit

CandorWit Rookie

Feb 10, 2011

My school district operates same as Ima Teacher's. The school district provides a teacher that either goes out to the student's home (or hospital) to provide instruction.
    I would check your state's district listings to see if there are any open opportunities such as this.

8. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 10, 2011

This is my dream job, homebound teacher, and you're right there is not a lot of info online, so I learned the few things I know from I'mateacher's posts and various district sites. (Not much out there though, and every district is different).

When the budget cuts come, this will be one of the first positions to go unfortunately. I also think it's a hard position to get because there are only a handful homebound teachers per district. But I will certainly keep trying every year I can.

You can call children's hospitals but I think it's all mostly done through the local public school districts. So I found out who the Homebound directors were for this district and I will send them my application information in March. I don't even think they post Homebound positions online. Find out who is in charge in the district and send them your info.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

I used to work at an inpatient psychiatric hospital for children and adolescents. We had two classrooms on the unit, both run by licensed teachers employed by the local school district. I think that they had special ed licenses, although I'm not sure. Mostly they worked with the patients to make sure that they didn't get behind on their school work. The school would send homework to the teachers at the hospital, and the teachers would plan lessons around the homework. It was very much like an independent study or a facilitated study hall. I know that the teachers also worked closely with hospital social workers to ensure that all lines of communication between the teachers, the school, the hospital, and the patient's family were kept open.

If I were looking for information, I'd call around to area hospitals with units where children are usually admitted for at least one week. Psychiatric facilities are a good place to start since a surprising number of children get referred there during the school year.

You can also call local school districts and just ask if this sort of position exists in that particular district. Maybe HR would be a good starting point?

Good luck to you!