Teachers how do you spend your weekends?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Padawan, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Padawan

Padawan Rookie

Feb 23, 2013

I leave my school on Fridays at about 530ish and I leave my work "behind" me for the next 24hrs. I spend Firday nights and Saturdays just doing what I want to do and not worrying about the kids or my lesson planning. Come sunday morning I wake up eat breakfest and work the whole day sunday planning organizing, grading and getting ready for the week. I do this because I feel it is better for me to get a full day of no work so I can rest and recharge.

How do you guys spend your weekends?

Do some of you work through your weekend and if so why? I am just curious to see if I am in the minority or the majority.

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Feb 23, 2013

I follow the same schedule. Friday nights and Saturdays are family and me times. Sundays afternoons and evenings are used to prepare for the week.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 23, 2013

Friday is relax and hang out with friends. Saturday during the day I work around the house and do school prep. Sunday is my day off.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2013

I have a similar schedule as well. I always want to get my work done on Friday or Saturday so I can relax on Sunday, but I hardly ever actually do. I just want to relax after the school week so I don't pick up any work until Sunday. But I don't usually spend the whole day Sunday working-just Sunday night.

Of course this weekend I had to go to a school event, so my weekend feels like it just started a few hours ago.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 23, 2013

Once I get out of work on Friday I don't do anything school related until Sunday night. I will print out some things or get some books organized but I really don't spend too much time on school stuff. Whatever needs to be done can wait until Monday morning. If needed I get there a bit early on Mondays.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2013

It varies. I am in my first year at a new job and have a lot of work to accomplish before being able to relax more next year and forevermore (word/spelling?). :)

I spent five hours today (Saturday) at school and will be there again tomorrow. This is not at all typical, though, and my husband is working this weekend as well so I'm not stressing over it. I really enjoy being at school alone...very relaxing. But again, I'm setting myself up to be able to be at school much less next year.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2013

I work a PT job on the weekend. I get to school stuff if I can.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 23, 2013

I never do any school work on Friday nights. I grade papers or do some planning on Sunday afternoons. I don't work on school nights very often either.

I'm also 20 years, most of which is the same school and grade. I don't need to reinvent the wheel every year.

10. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Feb 23, 2013

This weekend I am doing 32 report cards! They are due to go out on Wednesday.
    Normally, I make sure I am completely planned and ready for the following week on Friday. I do NOT like to work on school stuff for the weekend so I make sure I stay late Thursday/Fridays (these are the only 2 days I am not taking my son to his activities!) so that Monday morning I can walk in and I am ready to go. I do usually play around on the computer researching teaching ideas sometime on the weekend but I don't really consider that "work".

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2013

I normally do all my planning and grading at school so no school work on the weekends. This weekend i have been loing for additional resources for my garden unit just because I am so excited about it. I'm already planned for next week though.

12. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Feb 23, 2013

I try to leave school by 4:30 at the latest on Friday. I've been getting better about not bringing school related work home with me. If I do bring something home I don't worry about it until Sunday afternoon.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 23, 2013

School gets out each day at 2:30 and I stay every day until about 4:00 to make sure everything is prepped for the next day. When I leave school on Friday, I make certain everything is completely ready for Monday (homework packets, copies, etc). Since I stay late each day, I don't bring anything home and I never go in on the weekend.

Over the weekend, I spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking for new art projects/crafts. I try to do a weekly art activity with my kiddos and Pinterest gives me amazing ideas!!!

14. MaggieB

MaggieB Rookie

Feb 23, 2013

I leave school at 3:45 when students leave. My lp for the next week are complete and copying normally completed they Wednesday. I don't think about school, grade papers, etc. weekends are family/friend time. I am very protective of my time at school and find I can get most work done during the course of the work week.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2013

I don't work on the weekends anymore. I try to stay late a few days a week to get everything done, but if I have a meeting every day after school and it doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. I'm a wee bit tired of having job demands rule my personal life.

16. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Feb 24, 2013

I don't do anything school-related on the weekend except report card comments if it's that time of year. I have been teaching the same grade/subjects for 5 years. I do most of my curriculum revamping over the summer, and work hard during my planning and contract time after school to get the rest done. That's the culture here. Most of my coworkers are young mothers who want to get home ASAP to be with their babies. The parking lot is empty by 3:35 daily, except the principal and secretary.

17. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Feb 24, 2013

I never take grading home because I hate to grade papers and I refuse to do it at home.

Sunday afternoons I'll work on extra stuff for lessons. I just spent 30 minutes watching Bollywood and Mt. Everest videos because we are doing India in World Geography next week. I don't know if that should count though because I love Bollywood.

18. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Feb 24, 2013

We're required to put our grades into the computer system so that parents can check it. I try to grade throughout the week in my physical gradebook and input as much I can into the computer on Friday. On Saturday, I chill out. Go to the movies. Sleep in. Clean up the apartment. Do wedding stuff. Read. Nap. Cook. Play around on the internet.

Then Sunday, I go to church, mess arund more and around 3 p I put in the rest of my grades

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 24, 2013

I try to spend my weekends not spending money basically.

20. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Feb 24, 2013

That is the way it was for me when we actually had planning periods. Now our planning periods are consumed with meetings so we can go over data and discuss how we are going to remediate every little thing a child missed on an assessment. I have been in this grade level for 10 years and things have really changed. All we worry about is data and testing. I could put a movie in and do some planning then, but I am not that kind of a person.
    As for before and after school, we have duties because we have had to make so many cuts that things have had to be changed. So, yes, I stay late and bring home some things on the weekend. Does it suck? Yes, but I am grateful to have a job in this economy.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2013

I have a general plan in my head on Fridays for the next week...on Sunday nights, I sketch out the week in my plan book. No work on Friday night or on Saturday...it was different though when I was a new teacher.

Friday is social hour with my friends, orderingdinner out with dh..

Saturday is errands, house stuff, family.

22. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Feb 24, 2013

I tutor 6-8 hours over the weekend. The rest of the time is spent grading, redoing lessons. I rarely have time to watch TV or socialize, and my child doesn't get the attention she needs. I hate my life sometimes.

23. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Feb 24, 2013

I spend time with my fiance just doing fun things and relaxing mostly Friday/Saturday. Sunday I make my lesson plans for the week and catch up on household chores (working on a 3rd load of laundry at the moment). I also catch up on sleep!

Oh and some weekends I go back and spend a weekend in my hometown catching up with family/friends. Doing that this coming weekend (and buying my wedding dress! so exciting!).

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2013

Same thing here. Since i stay until 4 everyday everything gets done. I wil go on this site or look up things on pinterest but no actual work for me on the weekends.

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 24, 2013

I try to catch up on my planning / grading while handling the bulk of my grad school coursework. Saturday afternoons are reserved for NPR programming, preferably on my headset while I take a walk.

26. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Feb 25, 2013

I use my prep to make sure my plans are ready for the week ahead. I always aim for them to be done on Thursday just in case.

I used to work Sundays doing this stuff, but I became burned out around spring break. This year, I swore the only thing I would do at home is grade tests. I test every friday. I grade all homework/classwork during preps mon - wed (homework) and friday (classwork). I spend my Friday evening grading the tests. I do not do anything school related on the weekend unless I have to.

For example, our gradebook was down for 24 hours to prepare for the next years master schedule creation. I wasn't able to enter all of the test scores before it went down, so I had to spend 45 minutes entering scores and assigning grades this morning.

27. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2013

I never work at home. Weekends are for me, my friends and my family :)

28. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 25, 2013

I try to do the same thing. Freedom Friday and Saturday, and then scrambling to get all the work done on Sunday, which still doesn't happen, so I'm working every night of the week.

29. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 25, 2013

Friday: I usually have an appointment at my gym until 5 or 6. Then I go home and veg out all night (pinterest, message boards, facebook).

Saturday: Cleaning, laundry, errands, and usually some work from home (sometimes I go to school)

Sunday: Work at my 2nd job 11-5, go to school 5-10 to lesson plan

30. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 25, 2013

Friday is veg night. Sometimes, rarely, we'll go out and do something with friends. It's not my favorite time to do that, though, because I'm way too tired.

Saturday is usually free day. Friends, errands, cleaning, relaxing, time with my husband.

Sunday afternoon/evening is when I work.

But if it's report card time, I'm preparing for an observation, or something else out of the ordinary, all bets are off. Haha.

31. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 25, 2013

Friday-quiet time. Usually a dinner and early to bed.

Saturday-Time with the BF doing various things :)

Sunday-Laundry, shopping, etc... Tutoring sometimes.

Weekends are for me. I try REALLY hard not to bring work home. Sometimes it's unavoidable-like around report cards.

32. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 25, 2013

Oh, gosh--glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!!!

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 25, 2013

My typical weekend, which I'm hating is doing grad school homework all weekend because every Sun night at 11:55pm, usually 40 pages of reading, the taking of a quiz, & 1 or 2 other assignments are due. Then, I may have IEP paperwork from work to do too. I try my best to get out of the house to get some air on either Sat, Sun or Mon (since I have Mons off).

I will o so very glad when I've graduated, then I'll be completely through going to school for good!

34. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Feb 26, 2013

I'm fortunate to have a planning period and study hall that I can use to plan and grade. I have never had to bring anything home over the weekend, and I hope this trend continues. Friday evenigns are very lazy - come home, take a nap, eat out with the family, and read or play on the computer. Saturdays we usually clean the house, go walking, go to the movies, etc. Sundays are spent in Church, napping some more, and reading some more. Weekends are a much needed break from the hectic workweek, which will change once I finish my graduate degree in May.

35. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Feb 27, 2013

I usually don't do anything on Friday evenings, except maybe workout, otherwise pretty much relax. Saturdays I try to get out more if I can, volunteer, etc., and Sundays I go to church. I'm also in graduate school, which takes up much of my "free" time on weekends and evenings.

36. greendream

greendream Cohort

Feb 27, 2013

If it's hunting season, I spend my weekends deer hunting. If not, I'll go fishing or hiking--anything to get me outside and surrounded by woodland.

37. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 27, 2013

A couple months ago, our friend flew in from out of state and we went and saw The Hobbit (which, by the way, is 3 hours!!) at 10:30pm on a Friday. It was the worst decision ever! I was MISERABLE and exhausted!!! I learned my lesson. :rolleyes: