Teachers, how do you know a sub was great?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by bison, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Dec 30, 2012

I have run into this problem at least a couple times with elementary. I once asked a learning support teacher to watch the class. The worst was the kindergarten class where there was a coed bathroom with stalls between the two kindergarten class rooms. The adult bathroom was about 20 yards down the hall.

2. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Jan 5, 2013

I know we've gotten a bit off topic the last few comments, but the bathroom thing rings true for me! Only once have I asked someone else to watch the room while I went, but I have modified my medication schedule so that I take my blood pressure meds after school now, so that the diuretic doesn't cause interruptions in my schedule. I have, frequently, walked students to a special, lunch, etc, only to literally BOLT for a bathroom, and then, just like a long road-trip, I make myself go again 5 minutes before I get the students back again, even if I don't think I need to. I've frequently wondered how pregnant teachers do it... I guess the embarrassment of asking someone else to watch the class has to fall by the wayside, then.

3. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Jan 5, 2013

Its real sad that we are in a profession that makes it hard for us to do something a simple as go to the bathroom.:eek:

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 5, 2013

My classroom has a connecting door to one of my teammates. I've never thought twice about asking him to watch my class if I need to go to the bathroom. He's asked me a couple of times too. When ESL is cancelled we have over 4 hours after lunch until the end of the day. I could never make it that long after drinking something with my lunch! When I taught sped I had people ask me if they could run to the bathroom when I showed up to pick up kids for pull outs. I really don't think it's embarrassing!

5. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jan 5, 2013

Here's a funny story. So I subbed at a middle school yesterday. Not my cup of tea since I want to focus on elementary grades (although I did 6th grade ELA). During the last period, a kid screamed in my face for being "mean" to him (he told me to shut up previously and I wrote his name down for the teacher). The end of the day, the PRINCIPAL of all people came to me and asked me to come for another few days (the classroom I was in was very close to her office). They liked me because I gave the students work and, for lack of a better word, didn't take any crap.

More importantly, act like an actual teacher, the teacher will appreciate you :)

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate bathroom nightrmare would be the need to go badly and waiting for an upcoming break, only to have some criminal activity in the area and have a " lock down" initiated.

The two times this happened I was lucky. I had a first period aide so I could escape.

The second time the lock down only lasted 45 minutes.

There is one school I have worked at twice this year that had a four hour lockdown recently YIKES!