Teachers! How do you introduce sight words?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherworries, Aug 31, 2013.

1. teacherworries

teacherworries Rookie

Aug 31, 2013

How do you introduce sight words to your kids? I teach Kindergarten so I'm looking for fun ways to introduce sight words! Any help will be great!!! Thanks in advance!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

I have the sight words written out on cards that I use to introduce the word. We will usually read the word, clap out the letters (or stomp them, or finger spell, etc), and then read the word again. Throughout the week, we will do other multisensory activities with the words (tracing in paint or shaving cream, tracing on fun feeling materials, spelling the words with blocks, etc).

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 3, 2013

I use the ideas in Month by Month Phonics. Lots of great ideas!

I would only introduce 5 words a week. Use the Dolch list. I also use the words found in little readers that are available to the kids. See, like, I, my, a, and. Also a number word each week and a color word each week. It adds up quickly! After they build their stamina, you can add a couple more words each week.

Check out the Month by Month and get some great ideas.

5. kab164

kab164 Companion

Sep 3, 2013

That sounds like a neat book. We do one word a week in K the first part of the year and later move to two. My students couldn't handle five.

6. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Sep 5, 2013

I introduce sightwords as we do phonics. When a new sound is learnt the students use whiteboards to practise writing the letter. I then do the Jolly Phonic actions to make words and make sure that I action the sightword of the week. As other posters have said, we then do 'hands on' activities to reinforce the sightword.

I also introduce my sightwords in a certain order as well (phonics are taught starting with s, a, t, i, p, n, c/k, e, h, r, and m). We start with it, is, a, I, in, it, an, as, can, am etc. You can make a lot of sightwords with these letters. The students will work with simple sightword sentences, eg, "It is a (sunny day), (dog)", "I can ...".