Teachers - how do you handle your OWN child's first day of Kindergarten?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacheragz, Aug 16, 2010.

1. teacheragz

teacheragz Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

My daughter starts Kindergarten this year! She is attending a different school from where I work. Have any teachers experienced this dilema? Do I take the FIRST day or HALF day of school off? Do I MISS my daughers FIRST day of Kindergarten (she is an ONLY child by the way)? Some teachers have told me they have taken off. Others have that's not really a good reason. I'm so torn.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 16, 2010

I took an hour off. My principal totally understood. He encouraged it. My daughter went to my school, so my peers let me take her to class and then let me run over at her dismissal to see her before she went to daycare. I think each person has to do what is best for them.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 16, 2010

Awww, you don't want to miss it, and your daughter doesn't want you to, I'm sure. Unless her dad can take her, and you'd be ok with that?

I have this issue with back-to-school night. I teach my twin girls' grade level so I am giving a presentation while their teachers are doing the same. I have my husband and my best friend attend theirs.

My girls' kindergarten started while I was student teaching at their school. That was lucky. I would regret missing it. Take the time.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 16, 2010

We always cover classes for an hour or so. It's no big inconvenience for us, and it's only a one-time thing. The principal doesn't care either.

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

From your post it sounds like you should take at least the first part of the day off to be there as it sounds like you will regret it if you don't. Family has to come first.

7. Harper

Harper Companion

Aug 16, 2010

I was in the same boat last year. I took the first part of the day off to drop her off and go to parent social-thing. Another teacher covered my classes. Husband took afternoon off to pick her up. Don't plan anything big for that night (like a special dinner, etc.) because she will likely be exhausted!

8. diana

diana Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Your own child needs to come first, especially on such a special day. Taking a little time off for her first day of kindergarten is totally worth it. She'll remember that you were there for her.

Oh, and don't forget to bring a camera if you're the scrapbooking type!

9. teacheragz

teacheragz Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

Thanks everyone! Your comments have helped tremendously. I'm talking to my principal today. Any other advice is still appreciated!

Thanks again!
    From HOT, Sunny, STEAMY FL :)

10. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Aug 17, 2010

In the school where my daughter went to K, you could walk them to class but had to leave. They wanted to get their day started. Sometimes the longer parents hang around, the harder it is for the child.

11. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 17, 2010

Would it be possible for you to drop her off and then buzz over to school quickly? I don't know what you situation is with a DH/SO/her dad and what you teach. So, here's my two cents:

~If Daddy can take her (and you are in a relationship with him or have a good relationship with him) and you are in an elementary classroom yourself, let him take her. Give him the camera armed with a list of pics that you want. Or, if driving would be "close", see if you could help drop her off and then "fly" over to your school.

~If DH/daddy is unavailable, drop her off yourself and make every effort to be at your school on-time... even if that means dropping her off a few minutes early and dashing into your building "right on time".

I know that you want to be there for her. BUT you also have an obligation to your students. If you are in an elementary classroom and both are starting the same day, you need to be there for your students as well. You will be setting the climate for the entire year- both for students and for parents. If you are in a middle/HS situation, your presence is still needed but certainly not to the same degree.

Hope that makes sense...

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 17, 2010

Work it out with your P - you need to see her off...not sure how timing will work with getting to school for yourself. Could your aide or a colleague cover for an hour?

Good luck - I was still a SAHM when my kids were in kindergarten. One child loved it and never looked back. The other struggled...told me the following Sunday night when I said we needed to get our things ready for tomorrow's school day, "Mom, I already WENT to kindergarten..." like been-there-done-that, cross it off the list. He actually begged me to home-school him! Still brings tears to my eyes thinking of how he struggled. Now he is HS and certainly survived fine - hard on mom, though.

13. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 17, 2010

Even though my daughter won't be in Kindergarten for 2 more years, hubby and I have already talked about it. If our situation is the same as it is now (he works, I teach at a middle school), then he is going to take that day off and take her to school. If things change, we'll see then. I don't want to miss it, but I know that my students need me, too, and my daughter will be okay. She's a pretty independent kid.

14. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2010

My daugther is only 6 months old and I am already worring about this!!!!
    Some years the district where we live and the one where I work have different start dates so the first day of school for her would be a conference day for me and I could see her to the bus....I am hoping that this is the case the year she starts K! If not, my husband willl have to do it, and I'll have to live with videos and pictures!! :(

15. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 17, 2010

To add...
    When my older daughter started kindergarten, my hubby brought her to school. She is enrolled at the same school as I teach in. So, I bopped on down the stairs to snap pics of them walking up the sidewalk. We went down to her room for pics then I ran (actually walked quickly-- didn't want to break the hallway procedure LOL) back to greet my own students. Hubby did the same last year and is already "on call" for next week when the girls start back. I will be doing the same thing... handling the camera and running back-n-forth.

16. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 17, 2010

We cover for each other at my school. Last year was my son's first day of Kindergarten (and my other son's first day of K is this year), but the counselor covered my class period for the time it took for me to drop him off, take pictures, hang up his bag and say good-bye. I appreciated it and was able to cover the rest of the day with my own students. I do not think it impacted my class at all - in fact, they learned I had children and put a high priority on my family!