Teacher's favorites?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss Beazly, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

Feb 15, 2010

I teach in a high school and there is a teacher here who has clear favorites. For example, she spends a lot of time with her favorites, gives them little gifts, valentines cards etc. Is this unusual or unethical?

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2010

All or nothing in my room --- I dont like the idea of giving some people gifts and others nothing. I told my kids that if they give out v-day cards they had to give them to everyone in the class.

4. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

I wouldn't say it's unusual...I remember several teachers in my high school having 'favorites'. Unethical though...maybe. I think giving gifts and such is going a little far.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2010

Giving gifts to some and not others is unethical to me.

I try to remain as neutral as possible. It is hard because some of them drive me bonkers! This is the first year I have had though where the class thinks I favor one student. I do love her to pieces, but I love all of my kids just as much (I may not LIKE them as much ALL the time :lol:). I do ask this child to do a lot of things, but there is a reason for it. She is ALWAYS the first done and rarely gets a grade under a 95%. She is also the most organized person I know. Literally! She is also super-responsible. So, if I need an errand ran, I often times send her. Or if I need something done/organized in the classroom, I usually have her do it. We use Accelerated Math at my school, and it is my 'warm up' in the morning. This student has already mastered all 320 objectives I use. So, needless to say, I ask her to do things because she is capable, willing, and will do a great job. I do make an effort to ask others to do things when I know it will not jeopardize their learning. I like to give the self-esteem boost.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

I try not to play favorites, and I surely don't show it to other students IF I do have a favorite. That being said, there are a couple of girls that I just adore. I even had a dream where one of them was my daughter! :lol:

When I was in school, you could pick up on who the teacher's favorite students were pretty quickly.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

My favourites often end up being the ones that people would never guess--those loud boys with a bit of an attitude! However, treats go to everyone, not just to some.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 15, 2010

My favs are usually the same boys.

Treats are either for everyone (Valentine candies), or earned (table point prizes).

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 15, 2010

I'm sure most teachers have their favorite students, but they shouldn't be so obvious about it. If I was one of the students, I wouldn't feel too great knowing that a teacher, who should be fair BTW, obviouly shows the class who her favorites are & I'm not one of them & of course can't do anything about it.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2010

I think it's very weird that she gives little momentos to her favorite students. Usually, I'm not so blunt, but she sounds like she's over-identifying with those students ... not in a good way. It's one thing to recommend a book or a poem, clip an article, or recommend a movie. But, little gifts and cards - just to her favorites???? I definitely have favorite students, but I would never single them out in such personal ways.

11. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

Feb 17, 2010

I'm with you special-t in that I also find it weird. Other students make comments about her "favorites," it is so very obvious. I understand that we all have favorites to a degree, But I feel it is unprofessional and counterproductive to be so open about it.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 17, 2010

I think it is natural to have favorites. I work hard to try not to allow my favorites to show.

My husband is an Ag teacher. He spends weeks and weeks with his judging teams away from home. He gets real close to some. We are invited to family events, like weddings, showers, birthday parties. Several of his former students (7 and counting) have went to college to be an Ag teacher because of him. While he doesn't mean for it to happen, he does get closer to some than others. And yes, when we are invited to the family events we take a gift. It is not uncommon for his former students to call us with the important firsts in their lives. My family has been woke up by college students who have done something stupid and are afraid to call their parents. We have been at the birth of new babies. We spent a weekend at the hospital when a student was diagnosed with a serious illness, just holding her mother's hand and promising she would be in the show barn before we knew it. My husband is one of the most professional teachers I know. He is the type of teacher so many kids need. Because of the types of classes he teaches: welding, shop, animal production...his relationship is different than most teachers. By the way, I am not the only person that thinks he is the best, the state supt. gave him and his partner the highest award possible for a vocational program. This award is usually given to vo-techs every few years. His was the first HS program to get it. He has also been named a top Ag teacher of the year finalist five times.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2010

At graduation I usually have a few kids that I am really close to and I give them a card and my phone number to keep in touch.

Other than that, though, I would not pick favorites and neglect my other students.

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 17, 2010

It sounds creepy to me for a teacher to single out certain students and give them gifts or cards . . .

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 17, 2010

Ok Silver - I didn't read your post before responding, and you do not sound creepy to me! I think when students are graduating and leaving the school, that would be a one-time thing and appropriate.