Teachers College

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 27, 2008

Is anyone going to the teachers college conferences at Columbia this Saturday? I'm getting on a bus at 4am :)eek:) with 15 of my coworkers so we can get to NY by 9!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

YUCK! that is way to early. I'm not going. But I get to go to the New England Kindergarten Teacher workshop in Wakefield MA.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 27, 2008

Yeah, it's definitely too early. We have to be at the school for 3:45 so I'll be leaving my house around 3:15 to give myself time to get coffee and still be there on time. My coworkers and I have been discussing it all week and deciding what time we should try to go to sleep and whether we should take showers before going to bed or after getting up. Our conversations have been pretty funny actually. lol

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

I would shower before going to bed. And have my clothing all laid out, so all I had to do was step out of bed get dressed, brush teeth and leave. I wouldn't get coffee because I would be going back to sleep on the bus.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2008

My future mother in law and I are going to a conference on Saturday (obviously a different one, NY would be a little far away for us out here in the west).

We thought about leaving that morning at 4-ish. For about a second and a half. And then we booked a hotel room for Friday night ;)

7. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Mar 27, 2008

The TCRWP is worth it though!! I wish I was able to go... let me know how it is please :)

8. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 28, 2008

Hey I never heard of this...what time on Saturday?

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 28, 2008

It's 9am-3pm. There are a ton of different conferences to attend and each one runs for an hour. We're thinking that we'll probably be able to attend 4 with a break for lunch in between.

I'm really hoping to be able to see Lucy Calkins!

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2008

Oh yes, the Teacher's College Conference Days are WONDERFUL!!!!! I teach at a Teacher's College school and my administration flies us out there every Fall and Spring (whoever is either chosen or who wants to go). I LOVE it everytime I go!! I learn so much in such a short day and I am always thankful for the opportunity. I just went last spring. I am not a traveler (I actually hate traveling) but they make it worthwhile. Lucy Calkins will be there along with her wonderful staff. The workshops are an hour each but they pack so much information in the hour, I find myself writing notes as fast as I can. They give you information that you can use as soon as you get back to the classroom!!!:2up:
    Didn't I hear that a children's author will be speaking at the conference?? I forgot who.
    I'll pick the brains of my co-workers on Monday who are going. Now I'm kinda regretting not going this time.:(

11. Youngteacher226

Mar 28, 2008

Oh yeah, be sure to wear your tennis shoes!!! You'll have to do some racing to get to the workshops before they fill up!! Plan out which workshops you want to attend ahead of time as soon as you get the list and get to each one fast! My co-workers and I don't even stop for lunch when we go. We go to one of the local shops and buy a lunch to take with us. We go to as many as we can and just eat in the workshops. Many people do that. Have fun!!

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 28, 2008

Yep! It's Tomie dePaola!

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 28, 2008

OH no fair I want to go now.
    Beth it's time to get ready for bed!

14. Youngteacher226

Mar 28, 2008

Right, Tomie de Paola!!!! Enjoy that and tell us how it goes!!!

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 30, 2008

Well, the conferences were awesome! Tomie de Paola was hysterical as the keynote speaker. I was only able to get to 3 of the four sessions. I missed the second session because Lucy Calkins was full and then by the time we got to our second choice, that one was full too. We got out from our third session early, though and were able to see Lucy for the fourth session! She was amazing!I will definitely be going back next year!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2008

My school (NJ) was a TC project school for years. The workshops have always been great. I'm glad you had a great time and found the trip worthwhile. The bookshop there is good and there are fun places to have lunch in the neighborhood.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 30, 2008

We use Lucy Calkin's writing program at our school. I haven't used much of it this year. To hard trying to fit everything else in.

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 30, 2008

My school swears by Lucy Calkins. I teach both readers' and writers' workshop based on her methods.

19. Newbie teacher

Newbie teacher Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

I was there too!

Hi Beth-

I was there too. Luckily I had to get up at 6:30! I thought all the presenters were awesome. Of course Lucy is my favorite. She is so full of useful information, I wish I could borrow her for a day. I also wish my school could become a project school, but no money. I agree, Tomie DePaola was hysterical, I wish I had a book signed but the lines were scary.

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 30, 2008

What session did you see Lucy for?

21. Newbie teacher

Newbie teacher Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

It was about 1st grade writing. She gave us a sneak preivew of next year's 1st grade writing units of study (curriculum calendar). I thought it was really helpful.

22. Youngteacher226

Mar 30, 2008

That is awesome that you guys got to see Lucy!!! Lucy has visited our school twice this year for professional development and to bring other districts to visit and it's been great just having her in the building!! She has so much useful information and it's an honor to pick her brain. I got to talk one-on-one with her when she visited our school last year and she complimented me on my kids writing. I am still honored by that since she is the "guru of writing"!!! I'll definately be going to the conferences in the Fall. Just didn't feel up to the traveling stress this time. But I bet I'll regret it when I get to work tomorrow and hear all about it.:p

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2008

I'm so jealous!! My school is implementing writers workshop and I'm attempting to use the units of study. I would've loved to attend that conference! I've always wanted to do a summer institute, but my district won't pay for it:(