Teacher's College People and all Help Welcome

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmyannaco, Jun 18, 2015.

1. msmyannaco

msmyannaco Rookie

Jun 18, 2015

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2015

How long do you think this is going to take, how long are you shooting for?

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 18, 2015

I don't think the idea is bad, but what will you do if a student doesn't have something to add personification to? It might be easier to add similes or adjectives or something else more generic. I would also add a share time, as observers will want to see a closure. Instead of a full blown chart, why not give students a glow and a grow? One thing they are doing well, and one thing to work on.

5. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jun 18, 2015

By Teacher's College, are you referring to Columbia University's graduate school?

I am a graduate of them, M.A. Mathematics Education....Worst decision of my life. I was also accepted into CUNY Hunter's M.Ed, should have went there....lesson learned.

6. msmyannaco

msmyannaco Rookie

Jun 18, 2015

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  7. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jun 19, 2015

I should clarify what I meant. I loved the quality of education and professors, however the job placement service sucked and the cost was not worth it.

After graduating and getting certified 2007 - 2008, I could not find a full time job teaching in any district throughout the state of New York. Their job placement service was terrible as was the job fairs they provided. Adding that to the inflated cost of the school, I felt that I would have been better suited to get my M.Ed at Hunter for half the cost.

I'm in my 6th year teaching now and currently working on a second masters in administration, I think I could have made a better investment if I saved TC for an Ed.D or Ph.D which I would like to get someday.

8. physteach

physteach Companion

Jun 19, 2015

I'm so sorry so many of you had bad experiences with TC (and other NYC schools). I transferred to TC from Rutgers and it was, hands down, the best decision I've ever made in my life. While I don't know that job placement is any different from other grad schools (although I did get the distinct impression that TC was viewed better by a few schools!), the quality of professors and classmates was AMAZING.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2015

It's research-decide-teach.

The similes lesson sounds like a much better idea for your lesson. Hope it went well.

10. physteach

physteach Companion

Jun 20, 2015

Yup - from Physics Ed. It was definitely one of those decisions that I never regretted for a single moment.