Teacher's Block

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TampaTeacher, Mar 21, 2009.

1. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Mar 21, 2009

Testing is over. I just wrapped up a cool reading unit. Report card grades are done for the 3rd quarter ... and I don't know what to teach!

The liberating feeling that comes after testing has morphed into a sort of writer's block. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm trying to come up with a bunch of exciting reading lessons, and thought maybe we could share. Anyone have something exciting in the works?

Last week, I made a big chart on butcher paper with column's for "Things I Think I Know," "Questions I Still Have," "Facts I Learned" and "Connections I Made." Each kid met me on the rug with Post-Its and a clip board, and as we read the book Henry's Freedom Box, they each got to write one comment for each column. Then, we shared and added the stickies to the chart. It was so colorful and full of cool learning - I hung the finished piece on the wall!

Got that lesson from the Scholastic website.

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2009

Yes- I feel the same way sometimes. You finish doing something really great and then think, "How am I going to top this?" Keep reading the Scholastic Website, I bet you'll be over your teachers block ASAP!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2009

Surely there is some curriculum you have not yet taught or some things that you quickly covered in test prep that you could now go back and teach in depth...Geometry or probability for example in math- you could do so many hands-on activities letting the kids explore with blocks, dice, spinners, creating math inspired art pieces...In writing you could explore writer's craft, use a mentor author, create your own books/stories using a model. Plan a cool field trip tied to your curriculum. Go outside for science- turn over rotting logs and see what's underneath, crack some rocks (wear goggles) and look at the rock chips under a microscope...scoop some water from a nearby pond or stream and look at the microscopic life there...Plant a garden...so many ideas, so little time. :angel:

5. shortee

shortee Companion

Mar 22, 2009

When FCAT is over I always have my class make a school newspaper. They come up with the name, ideas for articles, etc. They conduct interviews, write their stories, edit, take pictures etc. It's a great project.

Another thing I focus on is research. This is when I give them research projects. They enjoy this also.

6. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Mar 22, 2009

Great, folks! Thanks for the ideas. You're absolutely right, czacza - there is soooo much I've wanted to do all year that I couldn't get to yet. However, this weekend I was sitting in front of my lesson book, and was just drawing a blank. I teach reading and writing, and was trying to come up with some fun things - especially projects that can be completed in the next two weeks. After that, I have a unit unit planned for after spring break dealing with a novel study on Island of the Blue Dolphins.

I love the idea of going on a little nature hike to look for bugs and such. That could be part of a really fun writing lesson!

Shortee - I'd love to hear more about your newspaper. I'd also like to do that when we get back from break. I used to be a reporter, so that would be right up my alley. I'm thinking I might have it be an online sort of thing, since I have 45 kids over the course of the day and would want to have room for all of them in the publication.

I figure we all have some fun stuff up our sleeves, and this would be a great time to share.

Thanks, everyone!