Teacher's Attire

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Galois, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Galois

Galois Companion

Aug 20, 2011

For sure, there are several posts about this topic. But, in my new school (a high school), our students wear blazers and ties (which is excellent). Now, teachers should always dress better than their students. Does that mean that I should wear a suit everyday, not just a shirt and tie? In the district where I sub, male teachers don't even wear a tie because the students are not required to wear uniforms. How do your male teachers dress when the students wear uniforms? I think the answer is obvious, but I want to hear your school's practice. Thanks for your info.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

In my school the kids are in uniform (boys wear blue dress pants, blue or white shirt, school tie, grey blazer.The girlss wear blue skirt and stockings, and their tie is different.) In my husband's, (all boys) there's a dress code, but it's similar to yours).

In both schools, the male faculty wear a combination of suits and jacket/tie. It doesn't have to be a suit every day.

Females in my school have the following dress code: Dress or skirt, no bare shoulders, with pantyhose and dress shoes, or slacks with a blazer.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 21, 2011

My school has uniforms as well. The boys wear slacks and polos, the girls wear skirts, polos, and sometimes a little vest.

It appears that the dress code for teachers is really slack. I've seen our female math teacher wandering around in khakis and a polo that I'm not even sure I'd wear out to a nicer dinner :whistle: That being said I already have a wardrobe and it's a bit dressier than most of the teachers. However, I'm not going to go out and buy a bunch of stuff. I just wear whatever I have in my closet. Probably only a couple of our male teachers wear ties.

5. Galois

Galois Companion

Aug 21, 2011

Thanks Alice and dgpiaffeteach. I wear a tie even as a sub to gain respect. I can do no less. Thanks.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

Every single post of yours I read convinces me that your school made a wonderful choice for department chair.

7. Galois

Galois Companion

Aug 21, 2011

Oh Alice, thank you for that moral support. It is tough enough to be a first-time/new teacher, and to be given that additional burden of heading a math department is somehow unimaginable. I would need a lot of help from you and from this forum. I consider you one of my mentors ever since I came to this place. A million thanks!

8. andreas802

andreas802 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011

i have seen worse subbing in ny. I have seen teachers come to work in sweatsuits and uggs! i always always get dressed up! even next year i finally got hired and i ought new skirts and pants even though i'm pretty sure there is no dress code for teachers. in order for me work as a professional i need to dress as one :thumb: