Teacher's Assistant & discipline

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by lcc2shc, Jun 27, 2007.

1. lcc2shc

lcc2shc Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

How involved to the Assistants get in dealing with the behaviorial issues with the children?

3. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

As involved as the lead teacher expects/lets them be.

4. lcc2shc

lcc2shc Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

Oh, ok I see. That makes sense. Thank you

Lori

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2007

It is the teacher's classroom- BUT, your common sense should play into it as well. If the teacher is leading a lesson and there is a child or children obviously not listening, then by all means you should intervene. If you are working with a small group then it's you that will need to do as you see fit. Also, taking initiative is not a bad thing.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 27, 2007

IF mine catch a child misbehaving, they are expected to take care of it the best they can... use time-out or just verbal warnings. Depends on the situation. Sometimes they see things happen that I don't. They need to have some "power" so if I'm absent, they kids will know they can't get away with things because I'm not there.

7. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

Sorry if that answer was too simple. ;) But what I mean is, if you're going to be an assistant, you should talk openly with the teacher and ask for tips on discipline. If anything she expects you to do makes you uncomfortable, talk with your supervisor/director/principal.

8. jnation

jnation Companion

Jun 27, 2007

Mine are expected to take care of small behavior problems. I have been lucky that my aides tend to follow my example and most of the time take care of a problem the same way I would. More serious behavioral problems are deferred to me, but I like the aides to feel a sense of empowerment and the students to know that they have the same expectations for behavior no matter who they are dealing with.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

I agree with other posters who've said that it should be a collaboration between the assistant and the teacher. Most teachers probably know whether they want the assistant to take on an equal role or a secondary role in behavior issues. It's best to figure it out before someone gets upset about it later on.

10. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 27, 2007

The teachers need to work together to implement the same behavior plan. Many schools / districts have plans in place that they expect you to use.