Teacher's Assistant App

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ted, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody here uses Teacher's Assistant (Free or Pro)?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/teachers-assistant-pro-track/id391643755?mt=8

It looks good in that it keeps a bit more details on particular behaviors, etc. and these can be emailed to parents as opposed to Class Dojo where just points are lost/gained.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with it before I give it a try.

Thanks.

3. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

Behaviors can be emailed to parents with Class Dojo, too, though I'm not sure if you can have them emailed on demand. I'd have to go in and click around to find out. Last year I had mine defaulted to email weekly reports every Friday.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

Oh! That's good to know... I had no idea.

Can Class Dojo have specifics: (e.g. "Talking back to teacher") or is it more like "Sarah got 20 points and lost 17.")?

5. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

Yes, it can have specifics. When you give and take points, you choose what the points are for. You have to choose from a list of preset behaviors, but you can customize your list and change it at anytime. For example, I didn't assign regular homework last year, so I removed the "no homework" choice. On the other hand, some of my classes often came without basic supplies, so I added a positive behavior choice for "coming prepared. "

6. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

Hi Croissant and thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense. :)

And is it possible to send reports to specific families? I checked the site and see that reports are sent out as "links" and those families need to log on to see the reports...is that correct?

I appreciate your patience and help!

7. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

I've just spent some time clicking around on my account and experimenting with some things. Quite a few things have changed (for the better) since I last used it. Here's a breakdown of some basic info and some things I've just discovered!

1. You can link up with parents two ways: either by sending home a parent code or emailing them an email.

Obviously, you can't be sure every parent links up. Here's what I did last year (and will probably do again): Parent and students have their own separate codes. I sent parent letters and codes home first and didn't give students their codes until they had returned the signed parent letter. Students wanted to change their avatars, which they couldn't do without their code, so this system forced them to tell their parents about it. That got a lot of the parents. Then, if I had email addresses, I invited specific parents who I knew I would be needing reports. I've also printed the reports out and mailed them home ;)

2. The website automatically sends updates to parents on Fridays if their child's status has changed. Out of curiosity, I experimented by creating my own parent account. The update is basically an email saying that something has changed and it's time to check their account. Parents just click on the button below the message, and the report loads right up. You can also manually go in and have this email sent to a specific parent at a specific time. When you do this, you include a message, and the email shows up in their inbox with your name listed as the sender. The automatically generated reminder lists ClassDojo as the sender.

3. Parents can enter more than one code onto their accounts. Every teacher the child has will generate a different parent code :( BUT (I think this is new) the parent just adds additional codes to their existing account, and they get to see every teacher on the same page. Same thing for if they have multiple children using the system.

4. I just discovered that there's a parent app now too!

There's really a lot of features there when you started playing with it, so I hope I didn't stray too far from your specific questions! I get so much good information from AtoZ that I love when I'm able to help someone else out!

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

No! That's all wonderful information...thanks for being so thorough, Croissant! :) :thumb:

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2013

I have the Pro version. It's definitely worth it. You can be very specific.

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 20, 2013

Thanks for responding, WaterfallLady! :)

Do you find it quick and easy to use? Or is it cumbersome as you're trying to teach?

Can you share with the class/students how they're doing? Email parents reports, etc?

Again...many thanks! :)

11. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2013

Well, I teach special education so it is important we document EVERY behavior for IEP purposes. It's usually really easy to make an entry even when I am actively teaching. If it's something long, I jot a reminder down on a notepad and add it at the end of the day. I am horrible at typing on my iphone, so I have to do that.

I don't share with my students usually. You can email parents, but it's usually something I prefer to discuss with them in person or on the phone.

12. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 20, 2013

Thanks for the extra explanation...yes, I can see how discussing via phone (especially for chronic problems) would be useful. :)

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2013

I am looking for something that will be as effortless as possible for my parents to use (android or apple), or I will lose them. Immediately. I'm kind of looking for something that will allow text messages to be sent to parents - kind of like Edmodo. Is ClassDojo available for Edmodo? Grrrr. I knew I should get a degree in programming - just think of all the money I could be making.. oops, I mean teachers I could be helping!

14. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 20, 2013

I think I'm going to attempt Teacher's Assistant Pro 2. It seems it's 70% off at $5, so worth trying out I reckon. :)

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

Is the Class Dojo or Teacher´s Assistant appropriate for lower elementary?

16. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2013

I am not familiar with Teacher's Assistant, but I would say that Class Dojo is appropriate. My second grade students looooved it last year! I didn't have any first graders, so I can't comment on that grade. My one kindergarten student liked it but was somewhat indifferent to it, compared to the second graders.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

Is it more of a tool for parents, or students? The funny thing is almost all my students have ipads, and all have internet access (this is a very affluent population I work with) so they probably could learn to work with the program if they had to.

18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2013

I only used it with students, but I would have probably involved parents, too, if I were a regular classroom teacher and not a resource teacher. It doesn't really require much, if anything, from the students though. I always projected it on my smartboard and then allowed the students to go up and give themselves a point (or take one away) when it had been earned. I know other teachers that prefer to be in control of giving and taking away points themselves. I found that it increased student motivation when they were allowed to award the points themselves. Just letting them walk up to the board and click on their name makes them sooo happy. Of course, I told them when they had earned a point. I didn't just let them go up whenever they wanted. The program can also be accessed from an iPad or iPhone, which is great when you leave the classroom setting.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

It´s almost like my punchcard system, but a virtual version. My students get a punch on their punchcard if they stay on gren. If they finish the day on blue, they get 2 punches. After completing their punchcard, they can redeem the card for a prize. I am trying to figure out if I should continue the punchcard or try the Class Dojo.

20. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2013

What I like about Class Dojo is that I can give the points all day long, or at least while the kids are with me in the resource room. It's not just one point at the end of the group (unless I forget... which has happened from time to time). This allows for immediate reinforcement of positive behaviors (i.e. "Student A, I like how you asked Student B nicely if you could borrow his eraser. You have earned a Dojo point for being responsible." when student A has an issue with asking for help and usually just whines and complains.). It does take some time initially, as you give a lot more reinforcement when it is a new tool, but you can wean kids off of it as the year goes on.

21. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 20, 2013

Class Dojo question - I've installed it on my iPhone and I have rewarded/penalized.

I do have sounds on and my phone's volume is up...but I hear no sounds.

Are sounds only available on iPads, etc?

22. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2013

I couldn't remember, so I just checked on my iphone. It does make noise... the same noise I hear when I use my computer and project to the smartboard. I'm not sure why you're not hearing any noise. Do you have the most updated software installed?