Teachers and the Restroom

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by RainStorm, Jul 28, 2015.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 28, 2015

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 28, 2015

Very interesting. I sometimes say that one of the best things about summer break is being able to use the restroom whenever I want!

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2015

I'm lucky in so many ways with my job! If I'm fast, I can go pretty much every 45 minutes if needed. The bathroom isn't far from my room. We're a small school so most teachers are fairly close to a bathroom. I really feel for teachers who can't go though :(

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2015

This past year I taught HS so I would just leave and use the restroom since it was in my hallway and I felt okay leaving for a few minutes. The year before I taught HS upstairs and there were no teachers' or students' bathrooms on my floor so I just waited for a break. What annoys me is having to use a key to get in the teachers' bathroom which can be a hassle.

When I taught MS, I was less comfortable leaving the kids alone. Even worse, only the hall monitors had the keys to the MS bathrooms and we had to hunt them down every time we wanted to use them.:mad::mad:

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2015

As a preschool teacher, this is definitely an issue at our school. We can't leave the classroom due to safety and ratio issues, so you are forced to wait for breaks and hope they are on time. We can't use the children's bathrooms, so after waiting, we then have to run over to the other building, get a key, and hope we get there on time.

I am on the hot playground 6.5 hours this summer, but I have to ration drinking or I will be doing the potty dance. I am uncomfortable and rushing to the bathroom almost daily. I know it sometimes affects my mood with the kids. I have had more UTIs since teaching preschool than I ever had the rest of my life.

I very much related to this article.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 28, 2015

I had bookmarked this article to read later. The interesting thing is that, when asked for some of the big perks of teaching online, I usually forget to mention the ability to get to the bathroom when I need to.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2015

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 28, 2015

You're right. That DID rub me the wrong way.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 28, 2015

Yes, it rubbed me the wrong way as well.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 28, 2015

Well, plus there is the notion that everything written on this forum could be total bullsh**. And they are using that in a "scholarly article" for The Atlantic?

12. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 28, 2015

At least we aren't complaining about an article that says we complain. ;)

13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 28, 2015

One awful daycare I worked at,
    disguised as the Disney World/Harvard/Taj Mahal of all Daycares,
    refused to give us bathroom breaks. There were THREE Directors who sat in their offices, playing on their phones or computers or snacking.
    They told us to go to before/after our shift & during our lunch break.
    So anyone who got pregnant usually quit.
    Actually, the turnover rate was almost 100%
    In the 11 months I was there, 33 teachers quit.
    And all the teachers who worked there when I was there no longer work there. I don't know anyone there now (and this was in 2012-2013)

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 28, 2015

Teachers at my site watch each other's classrooms (for example, two neighboring teachers will leave both doors open and stand between the two classrooms) if there's a restroom emergency. Not an ideal situation, but it happens.

If someone thinks they need more than a few minutes in the restroom, they'll call the office and my principal or I will watch their class. We're human--have have tummy trouble, too!

I can't think of any other profession where people have to time their bodily functions. As a teacher, I got really good at limiting my restroom visits to recess and lunch. However, when you've gotta go, you've gotta go!

As you can see, this topic hits a nerve.

15. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 28, 2015

Well said. I suffer from IBS (not to be graphic), but there are times when I don't really have a "choice" to call Mother Nature. :)

16. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 28, 2015

I've always complained about bathroom breaks for teachers vs students....as an aide I am in at least 3 classes out of 4 and see some of the same students and in each class they HAVE to go to the bathroom all the while the teachers get no opportunity to go until lunch or planning. It irritates me!

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 28, 2015

Frequent bathroom breaks were high on my list of "pros" when I chose to go back to a special ed job. Now, I have a chance to go about once an hour, and I usually do need to go that frequently if I'm drinking adequately throughout the day. Not all of us are blessed with large bladders! It's so nice to be able to drink coffee in the morning and have water whenever I want without having to worry about it. Last summer when I was doing summer school I had students for 5 hours with no breaks. Rooms were too spaced out for someone to be able to keep an eye on my class, so I just wasn't able to go. I had to not eat breakfast (so I wouldn't have to drink anything) and make sure I had no water at all from the moment I woke up until the end of school every day at 12:30. I would keep a water bottle in the fridge to grab as soon as the students left for the day because I would be feeling very dehydrated by that point. It is kind of ridiculous!