Teachers and FaceBook

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tek, May 11, 2013.

1. Tek

Tek Comrade

May 11, 2013

1. Do you have one?

2. How often do you check it? Daily, once a week, etc.?

3. How many of you froze or deleted your account? Possibly due to becoming a teacher and being overwhelmed by the duties of this profession in general.

4. Is it illegal/bad if teachers post photos of themselves WITH their students on FB? I took a class photo and posted it on my wall because I wanted to show my friends the first day of school. I was in the picture with my kids. I've heard conflicting reports though on whether teachers can post FB photos of their students or not. I got some other nice ones I'd like to post but have held privately because of what I've heard. I kept the first day photo up, though

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2013

I have a fb account for personal use. It is not connected to school in any way and it is private enough that students can't locate me.

Many districts have parents sign a form giving permission for/against having their child's pic posted online. I would be very careful before you post any school info or pictures.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 11, 2013

I have FB for personal use and do not mix it with school. I do say things about teaching (bad day, good day, something inspiring happened, etc), but no pictures, etc. I don't even have it under my real last name (never had) because I don't want my students to find me. Actually I don't even have the city I live in, it says the next city over.

I think it's best not to mix the two. I know some teachers have accounts just as teachers, but I wouldn't be that active on it, and then what's the purpose? By biggest reason to stay away from that is the fear that something happens on FB, like cyber bullying, a threat, etc, that actually ends up badly, and I'm blamed because I didn't do anything, or even worse, having to live with the thought, that if I checked FB that day, or did anything about it I would have saved a life, but I didn't, etc.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 11, 2013

I have a FB account. It's actually pretty new. I would never, ever post student pics.

As a rule I am not friends with any minors or parents. I am friends with many colleagues including my principal. I am also friends with ds's former teacher.

I never mention school at all on FB. I feel that some teachers go too far with school-related comments.

I check FB several times a day. It's part of my morning routine and I'm on regularly in the evening. I do not post during working hours.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 11, 2013

I have a FB account and am friends with former principals, current and former colleagues including those whose children I have or have had in class, and many former students who are now adults.

I don't post pictures of students but have posted pictures of cute drawings or presents kids have given me. If I post anything about school, it is only vague, positive comments. Anything else I post could be on the six o'clock news without a problem.

If I were you, I would delete any photos of students to be on the safe side. I would be upset if my child was posted without permission.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 11, 2013

Yes I have a facebook account. I check it daily. I don't post pictures of my students. I did post a picture of all of the candy I got on Valentine's day though. :D

About the only thing I post about school are some of the cute things the kids say (no names!) or when I go on a field trip or a PD.

I'm friends with some of my co-workers, not all.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 11, 2013

I'm FB friends with many of my co-workers, a few of their kids, some parents, former parents, and a few of their kids. I'm also FB friends with the mayor of the city where I teach.

I check it a lot, but don't post that much.

The way I see it, my private life is my private life, but Facebook is my public life - what I want the world to see.

I DO NOT, however, post pictures of other people's kids - even family members - without their specific permission.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 11, 2013

1. Do you have one?
    Yes. I've had one since it went public.

I usually check multiple times a day since I have the app on my iPad and iPod.

3. How many of you froze or deleted your account?
    I deactivated it when I first had it just because I didn't know people on it yet. When friends started using it, I reactivated. I was a teacher long before Facebook was even around.

4. Is it illegal/bad if teachers post photos of themselves WITH their students on FB?
    I won't post student photos on my personal FB. I will only post to my school we page, then only with parent permission. The only student photos are put up only for student use/parent use. I know some parents personally. Some students ask to have copies of photos I've taken, so I upload them to my page, make it visible only to that person, and then they do what they want with it. That is rare, though.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 11, 2013

1. Do you have one? Yes, have had it for a few years now.

2. How often do you check it? Daily, once a week, etc.? I need to go to FB Anonymous!

3. How many of you froze or deleted your account? Not me

4. Is it illegal/bad if teachers post photos of themselves WITH their students on FB? I have several of my parents friended on FB and they love to see pics of their kids and what they are doing in class. If we aren't friends on there or I don't have an online permission form, I will NOT post their pics.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 11, 2013

1. Yes
    2. About once a week or less
    3. Didn't need to. I didn't put anything on there that had to do with my job or that I would be ashamed of.
    4. I personally wouldn't have done it (talking about having a pic of myself with my class on there).

12. msaly

msaly Comrade

May 11, 2013

I have a facebook. I check it multiple times a day. I am friends with co-workers. I have posted pictures of things I have gotten from students (for example all the valentines candy and my teacher appreciation week gifts) but I would NEVER ever post pictures of students on my facebook. I don't think it is illegal in my state, but it is against our school policy and you can be fired for it.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 11, 2013

I deleted a teacher because she posts too much about school and her class. She tagged herself in a few photos parents posted.

14. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

May 11, 2013

I check mine pretty much daily, but don't actually post much. Mine is private just in case, but I work in elementary so my kiddos generally are not allowed on Facebook anyway. I try not to put anything on there I wouldn't want the world to see. I would not post pictures of my students, I can see it being a potential liability. The only kiddos I post pictures of are my nieces and younger cousins.

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 14, 2013

Does anyone think that this sort of sentiment is bound to change in the relatively near future (~10 years)? Like legoac, I don't post pics of kids, but I do of related kids. Theoretically, it is only a fine line between the two. Everyone now has a camera in their pocket at all times anyway. With another 10 years of saturation in terms of digital imaging, etc. do you think we might see a change in this sort of mentality?

16. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 17, 2013

This is another reason for the class page. I have permission for all of my parents to use their child's picture on the page. Although I do have a disclaimer that I am not responsible for parents who tag or share the pictures once they are on my page. Those who do not have permission are not posted. I would NEVER post a class picture on my personal page. That's a big gray area to me.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 17, 2013

:2cents:

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 17, 2013

1. Do you have one?
    Yes.

Daily...multiple times because I just keep it up as a tab on my iPad.

3. How many of you froze or deleted your account? Possibly due to becoming a teacher and being overwhelmed by the duties of this profession in general.
    Uh, no way. I did close my teacher account, though. My students were posting horrible, horrible things and I didn't want to see it. It did help me literally save a student from a sexual predator though. Very scary situation!

Is it illegal/bad if teachers post photos of themselves WITH their students on FB?
    I have posted a picture or two of me with students on Instagram but I knew their parents would be 100% okay with it. I wouldn't normally post such pictures and not on Facebook. That said, I'm FB friends with several parents because we went to school together and I know some like when I message them pictures which they then post.

That said, we had an event recently at school and I've seen numerous pictures in my feed this week that contain other children (one who is on our school's no picture list, but obviously we can't control the parents). No one is protected from being put online without their consent.

19. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 17, 2013

1. Do you have one? Yes

2. How often do you check it? Daily, once a week, etc.?I typically check it throughout the day, since I have the app on my phone.

3. How many of you froze or deleted your account? Possibly due to becoming a teacher and being overwhelmed by the duties of this profession in general. I've gone long stretches without using it, but never deleted it. I will say I'm always double checking my privacy settings because I don't want students finding my profile. I also watch what I post-as someone else said, FB is what I WANT other people to see, which is not necessarily everything in my life.

4. Is it illegal/bad if teachers post photos of themselves WITH their students on FB? I never post pictures of my students, but I will sometimes post school related statuses/pictures (pics of classroom, of a funny pic or story from the day, etc.). They are always either positive or vague. Any work negativity wouldn't go beyond "tough day at work." I know parents sign photo waivers, but I'm pretty sure that only pertains to pictures being used for school purposes. I post pictures of my son-the only minor I post pics of. This is yet another reason why I'm always checking my privacy settings.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 18, 2013

This is why I say I only give my permission if you ask me first before every situation. I would never have considered that the privacy permission would extend to a teacher's FB page and I probably wouldn't even consider a teacher's personal blog (not school sanctioned blog). Because there are teachers out there that seem to think these privacy waivers are blanket policies that apply to everything, I have to just tell them to ask first.

I would never post a picture of kids in the classroom on FB ever. I am even funny about posting other people's kids unless I regularly see them post pictures on my FB, we've discussed it, and they are my close friends/family (and tagged). I sometimes struggle even with pictures from public events if they include children, such as cultural parades, and even then I limit them and carefully choose.

I have, however, "liked" or gently/generically "commented" on parents' statuses when I see them come up. (In my community I discovered that even if I never friend a parent, they are likely on another friend's page and I will see some of their stuff and vice versa). I hadn't thought about the implication of others seeing me linked to those students as an any potential issues.

I do treat that whatever I post as "public" regardless of what my privacy settings are. This also means I am very careful about what I "like" and "comment" on. If there is profanity, sexuality or basically anything I wouldn't want an elementary kid to see, I don't "like" or "comment" on it. I have also REMOVED my comments from statuses if I see other people said anything after mine that I didn't deem appropriate language or topic. There are certain controversial topics I tend to shy away from as well or at least choose carefully which representations of those issues I want to link with not because I care that people in general know my beliefs but because with potential parents watching, even via others pages, I need to remain more neutral and private about some of those beliefs.

I don't know that I'm perfect at this process, but I am mindful.

I don't think I say anything or much about my job and if I do, it would be very very generic.

I stick to chat mode for a lot of stuff.

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 18, 2013

Hey you are

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 19, 2013

I have had a FB account for years. I am always very careful not to post anything school related on my page, especially photos. Around here parents need to sign a release for the local newspaper to print photos including their child/children, so I figure the students' pictures shouldn't be on my FB for all the world to see. I generally check my account a few times a day, but most of my time is spent playing games. Mindless games are good stress relief for me.

23. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 19, 2013

I have two facebook accounts- a personal one and a "teacher" one. The personal one I check daily, the teacher one I check once or twice a week. My personal page is private, and my name is not my actual name so that my students can't find me. On my teacher page I'm friends with coworkers, the school's page, students and parents. I post pictures of students that I take doing activities on that facebook account. I also can remind students of homework, etc.

Works well for me :)

24. melnm

melnm Companion

May 19, 2013

I have one. Check it daily. I did close it for awhile. Too much drama and decided I needed to take a break. We have a private school page on fb. That is where I post any pics of kids in my class. None on my personal page.

25. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

I have a FB page. I post things about my life. I try to be very vague if I'm posting something about school. As of right now I'm not posting anything at all because of a situation at school. I don't want anything I have put to come back and bite me in the butt. I am friends with some parents but no kids except my own.

26. Tek

Tek Comrade

Jun 24, 2013

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies.

I have a question for y'all. A couple weeks ago I shot an end of the year video blog... wanted to update my family and friends on how my 1st year of teaching went. This video, at the end, included pictures of me and my students. I made this video private and tagged 2 colleagues so only the 3 of us can see it.

I am thinking of making a 2nd version of this video to be public, but should I eliminate all student and me photos at the end of the video... so that it's just me talking? At the end I show fun pictures like field trips and birthdays which I think enhances the video a lot, but I know there's that whole big gray area of posting student photos publicly... even if it's attached at the end of a 10 minute video blog, right?

Please give me some counsel before I upload anything. I suppose I can always do the bare minimum of just uploading a version where it's just me talking. So no student photos at the end.

Part of me feels like it'd be safer to have student photos at the end of a 10 minute video rather than posting them as FB photos... FB photos anyone can access them right away, but in a 10 minute video, that person would have bare with my face and voice for 10 minutes before it gets to my students, haha. It's more discreet? But is it wise?

Feedback welcomed. I guess I just want to let my FB fam and friends have a glimpse of what my 1st year was like, and the photos enhance that aspect. The photos are shown for 5-8 seconds each at the end of the video.

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

Even if you have permission to take pictures of students I wouldn't post pictures, even in a video, of students. We've been told not to.

28. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2013

I'd err on the side of caution. If you don't have permission from the parents to post, remove the photos from the video.

29. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

I agree with the others. For your protection, I would not post any pictures of your students.

30. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 24, 2013

I agree, too, and I would also remove the private one. I think it's just inviting trouble. :sorry:

31. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 24, 2013

I have one, but I never use it--usually. I'm only using it right now because babyzone's forums were acting crazy a few months ago and my due date club decided to transfer over onto facebook--so I use it to keep up with other people whose babies are due in august, ask pregnancy-related questions, and gripe with other 32-week pregnant women about not being able to breathe, charley horses, and belly button popping.

Not pregnant, I check it like 3 times a year. If that.

I would NEVER post pics with my students, friend students, or discuss school on facebook.

32. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 24, 2013

1. Do you have one? Yes

Many times a day... I get notifications on my phone.

3. How many of you froze or deleted your account? Possibly due to becoming a teacher and being overwhelmed by the duties of this profession in general. I have, but it was before I became a teacher.

4. Is it illegal/bad if teachers post photos of themselves WITH their students on FB? I NEVER post pictures of students. I am very careful. I do post pictures of drawings and gifts from kids, projects they've created, my classroom, etc. No last names either. I don't think it's my place to post pictures of other people's kids on Facebook. It could cause too many problems. I have lots of coworkers as friends, so that keeps me in check about what I post, although I've always been careful never to post anything negative about work. I'll tell cute stories or post vague comments about things like how I'm proud of my students for a particular thing, but that's about it.

33. bradleys22

bradleys22 New Member

Jun 25, 2013

I do have FB account and it's only for personal use. My friends on Facebook are usually my closest friends and relatives. Though I'm connected to some, maybe 2 to 5 co-teachers on Facebook, I'd like to keep my account private and share them to people who are really close to me.

I'd check it once a week, you know, to ease the stress from work and to get some updates. I haven't tried and maybe I will not, post some photos of my students or other teachers on fb.

34. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2013

never mind

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 25, 2013

Don't. Do. That.

Noooooo!

36. Tek

Tek Comrade

Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Decided not to post it. You never know, right?

Gonna just make a video of me talking, and post that probably.