Teachers and Alcohol

Discussion in 'General Education' started by orangetea, Jul 31, 2013.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2013

Have any teachers had problems with buying alcohol from stores where you could run into students/parents? I always worry about purchasing alcohol in stores for the same reason. I know teachers have gotten into trouble for being seen on facebook pictures consuming alcohol. Does anyone think being seen consuming or purchasing alcohol is a problem?

3. Scribe

Scribe Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

That should entirely depend on the area in which you live. Do you know if you have a moral turpitude clause in your contract? I think it's usually best to use good judgement in these situations. If you live in a pretty straight-laced community you might consider driving to another town to buy any alcohol, just in case. You'll probably end up running into your neighbors anyway! ;)

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

I don't see it as a problem, i think its more how you act when having alcohol and if its effecting you or others. but I don't really have to worry because I live 45 minutes from where I teach. Last back to school night a parent bought a coworker a bottle of wine and said "you're gonna need this if you're teaching my child.". My friend was speechless to say the least :lol:

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 31, 2013

I am over 21 and am therefore allowed to buy alcohol. If a parent had a problem with it, that would be their issue not mine. My principal (who is a nun) would back me up.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 31, 2013

It is legal and there is nothing wrong with drinking in moderation. Being drunk, acting inappropriately, or drinking with minors would be completely different.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2013

I honestly do my best to shop in places where I will not run into students. But if they see me somewhere drinking or buying alcohol, oh well.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

No one can buy alcohol in our county, but there are surrounding areas that sell it both at stores and restaurants. In those places, I think the people who live there are not much concerned about it. Those of us here, though, tend to be more aware. Or maybe I'm just seeing it from my perspective...I drink absolutely nothing, ever. To give you an idea, when I was at Red Lobster the other day I got a strawberry lemonade which I had never done before because I always get water, and when it came out it was in a specialty glass and my initial internal reaction was, "Oh man, it looks like alcohol", then as though my father-in-law could read my mind he commented on it looking like we were getting wild and crazy. :haha:

That said, it's legal.

9. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2013

Yeah...part of me is wondering this because I do like to go out and drink with friends and I know that it's possible that I could run into students while I am out which worries me. But I also feel like I shouldn't have to give up something that I enjoy because of my job...

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

I don't drink either, but there is nothing in our contract that forbids it. However, I have been to school sponsored functions in nearby restaurants and have been shocked at the number of staff members drinking to excess.

11. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 31, 2013

I wouldn't worry about it... I've been seen out at some bars by parents, and it's hasn't been an issue. Heck, several times I was WITH one of our assistant principals... so I can't imagine really being called on it here. But I suppose all communities are different.

12. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I don't drink often, but there have been times I have been to a restaurant and have had a drink when a student came up to say hi. I was never close to being drunk. There are many occasions where a group of us teachers will go out for dinner in the evenings and have drinks. We don't draw attention to ourselves, but we are adults and will order drinks if we want. I think there is a difference between buying alcohol/ having drinks with dinner and acting loud and foolish.

13. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 31, 2013

This is hilarious!!! Wow!

I keep my house stocked with beer or wine--it's just something I like. Having a beer after a long day work is something I enjoy. My admin tells me to go home and have a drink after long days, so I know they are behind me. Honestly, if parents are that concerned with what's in your shopping cart they need to get a life! If you are really concerned about your image (which is totally okay), perhaps follow the advice already given.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2013

I'm grown. If I want to purchase and/or consume alcohol in a public place, I'm going to do it.

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

I'm grown too:) I live and work in a very conservative area, but it's nobody's business but mine. Honestly, teachers often get together and go to a restaurant that serves alcohol...(we don't have bars.) many of the teachers drink.

This afternoon at WalMart I ran into 2 students and another teacher. Left WalMart went to Sams, and while sitting down having a hot dog and a coke zero I heard my name being called, turned around to receive a giant hug from my twin students.

I had a bottle of wine in my basket...didn't think a thing of it!

16. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

I don't run into this often because I live in a different city than I teach, but my best friend who teaches 5th grade is always saying that even though she lives 5 minutes from school, she can go weeks without seeing a student in public.... until that moment she places a case of beer in her shopping cart. :p Like clockwork, a student will appear within 5 minutes.

My one experience was actually pretty embarrassing. I went to a local (UFL) football game and ended up pretty blotto. As the game ended, I realized that one of my students was sitting 2 rows back the whole game, watching me get progressively drunker and louder. Thankfully, we avoided eye contact and never spoke of it.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 31, 2013

We always have beer, wine, and cocktails at our faculty parties, so no there's no problem with it here.

18. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 31, 2013

If you live in an extremely conservative community it could be something to worry about. I don't agree with that, but that is how it is in some places. Here I wouldn't give it a second thought but in my hometown it could honestly be an issue. That's one of the many reasons I prefer the city :). Also, assuming when you're going out you're going to bars, your students wouldn't be allowed in so I don't think that's something to worry about. Unless it's different in your area around here pretty much everything downtown is 21+ after a certain time, so if you ran into a student they'd be more concerned about themselves getting in trouble than seeing you! I like to go to the bars downtown and several of my friends that go with me are teachers also. Being a teacher doesn't mean you have to live the life of a child. As far as being drunk, I don't think it's morally wrong so that mindset doesn't even make sense to me, but I know that it is different in some places. I didn't attend staff parties last year but in my first school they were all sponsored by PTA and they always served a lot of alcohol.

19. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2013

I once brought a Trader Joes bag to work for a student project. I had inadvertently left the receipt in the bag. Of course my curious students had to read it out loud and they did comment that I bought a bottle of wine. I was embarrassed .... Because it was 2 Buck Chuck (their store brand cheap wine).

20. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

I have never worried about buying alcohol or having a drink in a restaurant. I am doing nothing wrong. It's ridiculous to stop yourself from doing perfectly legal things in your spare time just because some people/parents have unreasonably high expectations for the kind of life teachers should be living. If a parent has a problem with it, what can they honestly do? Tell your principal they witnessed you buying a bottle of wine? The horror! Obviously, if they were in a liquor store then they can't really say anything without being a hypocrite anyway.

21. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

I don't worry about buying alcohol. However, as a group of teachers, the staff at my school plans all of its social activities outside of the local community. People do talk in small towns.

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2013

Considering that in my many years of waitressing, I served an awful lot of those parents an awful lot of pitchers of beer, they better not say anything!

I run into kids and their parents at restaurants a lot. They see me with a drink. It's not big deal in my area.

We do have an sort of unspoken rule that when we have our "official" end of the year party at a restaurant, no one orders alcohol. Mostly because we are still on the clock. We do have unofficial Friday afternoon "meetings" after school at a local bar on the beach. No one ever gets drunk. Just happy :)

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

I know I made a bigger deal of it than I needed to. I didn't like to drink where I could run into students. I know my gpa was a teacher & principal back in the day. He & many of the staff joined the Elks club for that very reason to hang out and have a drink without too much worry of running into kids!

24. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2013

I have parents invite me to their homes, and many have offered me a beer in front of their children. I politely decline, but don't think it would be wrong to say yes.

There is a difference in perception of a teacher buying beer or wine in a grocery store and a teacher drunk with a beer in his/her hand on facebook. The first is very acceptable by parents and even students, the second is often not, even though many would argue it should be.

I don't live close to my school so it isn't much of a concern, but if I did I wouldn't mind buying beer or wine at the nearest grocery store to school.

25. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

I live about 30 minutes away from my school and its in the opposite direction. So there would be no way of me running into my students or their parents

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

It's funny that you say that, because the opposite is true for me. No matter where I go in this city (and it's a big city), I run into students every single time I go out. It could be 2 AM at a late-night burger joint 45 minutes away from my house, and there will be a student there. Not kidding! :lol:

27. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

Oh my God. Now that's scary :lol:

28. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 1, 2013

We go out regularly as a staff and people often drink. In fact I went to the local bar (small town) with my principal and grade level team and all but 2 of us drank alcohol. It's legal.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

I'm an adult. If I run into a school family while I'm purchasing wine at a store or having a glass at dinner with my husband or enjoying some time in a pub with my colleagues on a Friday afternoon, I'm within my rights as an adult. I'm not sloppy or ridiculous. I keep in mind that I'm a public employee but my private life is just that.

30. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 1, 2013

I have no issue buying beer or wine at the grocery store. My co-worker says that she makes a food baracade to cover up her alcohol purchases though. :haha:

I just sat through a "Code of Ethics" training yesterday and the speaker asked us not to wear a school shirt or district ID badge out to the bar on Friday evenings.

31. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

I'm more worried about buying underwear from someone I know. :unsure:

32. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

I'm a public employee, but I'm also human and a free adult. As long as it's legal to purchase, I'll not try to hide it from anybody, be it alcohol, contraceptives, etc.

There may come a time when a former student becomes a grocery clerk... would I make sure only to purchase "wholesome" items at that store, or make sure to only shop when she's off work or in another line?

Should teachers who smoke make sure they look around the public park for any of their students before they light up? Or worry they may pull up to a stop light with their cigarette hanging out their window and see a student cross the street?

There are limits.

33. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

I'm sure there are small towns where everyone knows everyone and reputation is so important, but what teachers do on their own time legally is their own business.
    Obviously if I'm at the store buying groceries and several bottles of alcohol, it probably looks like I'm having a party. If I'm there at 8 pm, buying a bottle of Tequila and Margarita mix, it looks like I had a rough day and need a couple of drinks. (I have done this by the way for the same reason). Nothing wrong with that either, just might look 'different'. Where I am, if a parent was standing behind me in line, it wouldn't have been an issue.

It's a whole other issue if a teacher is out in public, drunk. That's a no-no.

34. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

As long as I'm not buying it for underage kids, what's the problem? This country can be so puritanical at times.

35. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2013

Let's just agree that if anyone deserves or needs a drink once in awhile it is a teacher. That said I broke down finally today and bought a pint of Wild Turkey and had a drink tonight. Growing up with alcoholics (mom and grandmother) I learned early on to drink little and responsibly.

36. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

I live in Wisconsin. No worries here.

37. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 2, 2013

I teach special ed. I once saw a student who lives with Down Syndrome who I had in my class. My hubby was having a SuperBowl Party. I had tons of wine and beer in the cart. She says, "Ohhhhh....Mrs. _________ has drugs in her cart." Her mom and I both laughed. Of course, she didn't forget when she came back to school Monday. She told a few of the other kids, and when they didn't seem to care, she let it go. lol! My sweet little lady! Miss her tons!

Normally, I try to hide the alcohol under other stuff, just like I do with the pads and tampons. :)

Once, I had a pregnancy test in the cart when I saw a student. Her mom noticed, but not the student.

38. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 2, 2013

I would not call drinking Wild Turkey drinking responsibly! A sip of that can make you do some crazy things. (wink, wink)

39. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 2, 2013

We have been told by the county that we could get in trouble if we have pictures on facebook where we are holding alcohol. They can't stop you from purchasing it though.

40. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 3, 2013

Considering that my school allows for faculty/staff to have parties (in non-instruction buildings- so no kids would be there) after hours with alcohol present, I don't think I would get in trouble for being seen purchasing or consuming alcohol in the correct setting.

I've been out with faculty for dinner and was having a glass of wine when some parents and students saw us and said hello, no biggie. Now if I was sloshed, then that might cause a problem.

As a rule, I don't post any pictures of me or my friends consuming alcoholic beverages. I have posted pictures of the drink (if it's pretty looking) without me in them to Facebook.

41. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2013

I guess that is why the call it WILD Turkey. My 2-4th year of teaching was with this young lady (taught 3rd) who car pooled with us. She was a scantily clad waitress at the ABC lounge many nights. This was in our city and different county from where we taugth. She slept (in the back seat quite often) with her mouth open. Sweet, enthusiastic and great teacher. Health problems caused her to quit years ago.