Teacher's Aide Positions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l8ybugmom, Jul 22, 2009.

1. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 22, 2009

Okay...I know there has already been talk of this but I would like more advice. I am thinking about going ahead and applying for aide positions (as much as I hate to). It isn't that I don't think I'd enjoy the job but I don't want to sell myself short by settling for an aide position and then a teaching position comes up.

For those of you who have interviewed with a P for an aide position, what do you say? Do you let them know you are interested in a full time teaching position and that if one comes along, you'll snatch it up? (Of course phrased in a more professional manner). I mean I would think that a P who is interviewing a certified teacher would already know that.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2009

I'm interviewing tomorrow for an aide position ALOT to closer to home than my teaching position. The principal knows that I'm certified so I'm sure the question will come up. I just plan on saying that I have been a stay at home mom for two years looking to get back into teaching. I am wanting to move from elementary to middle school/high school, and am looking to gain experience in that age group.

4. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

Oh, this is a great question! One I've actually been wondering about too. I just recently graduated with a Bachelor's in Elementary Ed (K-6). I have applied to five different systems and still nothing has come up. So I've been looking into becoming a teacher's aid. I have a friend who is a teacher's aid, and pretty much, if a teaching position opens up, they will consider her to fill it.

I also have a friend who substitutes. She's certified in Elementary just like me. She speaks with the principals about possible job openings, and if they would in any way consider her as a candidate for the position.

I see it as a way to get your foot in the door. The teachers and administrators will witness your work ethic. If they like what they see, then hopefully they will consider you for an opening. At least, that's what I'm hoping. :/

5. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Jul 22, 2009

Hi, I was in your same position last year. I was called in for an interview and was told that all they had available was aide positions. I was also advised that taking an aide spot would be a foot in the door. I decided to take the P at his word and by January was working in a teaching position due to a leave replacement that opened up. I was informed that it was the fact that I was in the school, they knew my work ethic and the fact that I knew the kids. The leave was over in July and I just interviewed with the school for a permanent opening. This is not the case in every school so be honest with the P and let them know that you're intent is to move up within the school and ask if they hire from within. I had asked that at other interviews for aide positions and was told that they do not usually hire from within. It all depends on the school. However, if you do take the spot I would advise letting the teacher know that you are hoping to move up to a teaching position and would love to be able to help in any way possible. I was also fortunate in the fact that the teacher I worked with would welcome my ideas and actually ask me to come up with lesson plans, stay late or come early to help her prepare and taught the class when she was absent. Hope this helped!!

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 22, 2009

I knew if I asked, I'd get great answers! Thanks! Yeah I do see it as a foot in the door. I'm going to apply for one of the aide positions that happens to be in a pre-K placement (my cert is K-6). The other's are special ed and I'm not cut out to do that every day. I'll just be honest with the P at the interview and if that costs me a position, then it's their loss.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2009

:) Is this the school in your hometown that you have been hoping to hear from? :)

8. smalltowngal

Jul 22, 2009

Yes SC it is. 5 minutes from the house.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2009

WOW! Glad you gpt the call!:D

10. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

STG...keep us posted!!!

Good Luck!!

11. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

I got my first teaching position after being an aide in a district. I am now an aide again, as a means to get my foot in the door for another FT position after being an AHM. I know I have built great relationships with the staff where I work. At this point I will continue to be an aide till something opens up.

12. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

Several positions opend up today. One is a reading coach the other is a reading lab assistant, and some aide jobs. The pay is really stinky but there are benefits. I'm just having some hesitation even applying but I guess if I want to work in a school in the fall (IF I don't get a job as a teacher), then this is what I'll have to do. The reading coach sounds interesting and reading is a passion of mine. : )

13. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

I would definitely go for it! From what others have said, there's no reason for you to give up any position you can find. Sure the pay is stinky, but I do believe it beats being a sub and it also it also gives you the benefits of a teacher as well as keeps your license good [at least here in Alabama].

On my end, there have been 27 positions suddenly open up for teacher aids [it's in special education, something I wouldn't mind doing at all], and I'm really anxious to see what will happen after hearing such great things in this thread.

Good luck l8ybugmom! :)

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

Thanks, tarkle! Good luck to you as well!! :) I just intend on being honest with the P that interviews me.

15. smalltowngal

Jul 23, 2009

I got the aide position! So now I'm an inclusion aide in my dream school..and the P says he hires his aides.

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 23, 2009

AWESOME! Congratulations. Did you already let the other school know? Looks like there is a 6th grade opening now.... Someone will be very happy and SO WILL YOU. WIN-WIN situation. Bet your family is glad you aren't traveling an hour one way...:)

17. smalltowngal

Jul 23, 2009

Yes I have already resigned from the position.

18. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

Congrats, STG! : )

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

Congratulations, STG!

20. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

yahooie! good for you! :thumb:

21. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

l8ybugmom: You're very welcome. :) Honesty is always the best policy.

It's so nice to be hearing some good news. Congratulations! :D

22. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 23, 2009

Congrats STG!! Hopefully a teaching position will open up in the near future that you can move right into.

23. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Jul 24, 2009

Congrats!!

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2009

I hope that this opens the door that you have been waiting for! As an inclusion aide, you will be able to work with some dynamic and not so dynamic teachers. Take notes and learn about how people do things so that next year WHEN you get your own classroom, you will be more than prepared. I know several teachers that got their foot in the door this way.

25. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

I was an aide (we call them para-professionals) for two years at my school. The P was really excited when she found out I wanted to interview for and opening. I've been a classroom teacher there for almost five years. My district hires within whenever possible. They know the paras have more of a connection with the kids, and knowledge about what's going on in the district.

26. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

I worked as a paraprofessional too before I got my current position. Although, I ended up getting in another school district, I really liked being a para. It definitely beat subbing. The pay was less, but I had benys and I knew where I was going to be every day. Had that district been closer to where I lived, I would have gotten a teaching position there. Quite honestly, it is an easier way in than subbing.