Teacher's Advice

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by viraltutoring, Jun 5, 2013.

1. viraltutoring

viraltutoring New Member

Jun 5, 2013

I recently started tutoring a brother of a friend of mine and would like some input from a second grade teacher.

The boy is in first grade, transitioning into second. He is very behind in his reading and only a bit behind in math. He knows:

- All the letters EXCEPT for "w" and "y"
    - Some sight words (I, am, the, she, etc.)
    - Can count to 20-30
    - Knows the base sound of all letters except w,y
    - Can sometimes tell time

We don't think he has a learning disability but his mother is getting him tested this summer. I want to get him at least caught up to the 1st grade by the end of summer, but I may be stretching it. What do you teachers think is the MOST important to work with before receiving children from the first grade.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2013

He sounds extremely behind in reading and in math. His ability level sounds more like a kinder student, and a below level k at that.

I think his decoding is the most important skill you should work on. For math, place value activities would be valuable.

I'm glad he is getting tested. He sounds like he is an A/B/possibly C level reader and he needs to at least get to I.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2013

What vowel sounds does he know? Just short or some long?

Maybe work on the six/seven types of syllables (the number depends on which books you are referencing).

5. viraltutoring

viraltutoring New Member

Jun 6, 2013

He knows all the long vowel sounds. He cannot blend very well. Today we were working together with the "bossy r's" and when the word start was sounded out he thought it was song.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2013

Why are you starting with r- controlled vowels? You need to back up...solidify the consonants and short vowels. Work on cvc words...sounds like he needs major intervention.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2013

viraltutoring, I see you're in California. If you haven't already done so, let me recommend that you have a look at the state content standards for English-language arts and for mathematics - for current purposes I'd recommend the previous (non-Common Core) standards toward the bottom of the page, partly because they're what he will have been taught under and partly because they spell out expectations in more detail than do the Common Core standards.

The short version is that a rising second grader is expected to be able to read a text such as Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad Together along with the teacher and to be adding and subtracting two-digit numbers. Many children learn to count past 30 before kindergarten.

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jun 6, 2013

I agree with czacza - he has a good base by knowing most letter sounds, but how is his blending? Can he blend nonsense words like "sib" or does he just know the individual letter sounds. Also, short vowels are definitely going to be helpful at first over long vowels, so I'd definitely work on that - one letter at a time until mastered.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2013

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 6, 2013

1. Reading- he seems like he is reading on late Kindergarten level. He needs to work on individual letter sounds, short vowel sounds, long vowel patterns, blends, etc. and to be solid with blending and sounding out words.

2. Math- He should be able to count past 100, skip count by 2's, 5's, and 10's and to add two numbers.

3. Writing- most of my kids come to me able to write at least a couple good sentences. Chances are, if he can't read, he probably can't write.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2013

He sounds just as behind in math.

I would grab a non-fiction interest first. This should get and keep him excited in learning.

Say his interest is tigers.
    Read all about tigers. Even books that are far above level, read the captions charts and such.
    Write 3-5 good sentences about tigers.
    Make a powerpoint on tigers.
    Locate where tigers live on maps.

For word work, begin with words he does already know.
    write those words in chalk, shaving cream, water on sidewalk, play dough, MSWord, wiki stick, blocks, etc.

Do you have access to IXL math online? Doing that one on one at his level may help.