TeacherDeals.com - What types of products are you interested in?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Amanda, May 17, 2010.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 17, 2010

Have you seen A to Z's new store, TeacherDeals.com, yet? Everything is priced at 20-50% or more every day!

What types of products would you be most interested in? I will try to keep an eye out for closeouts and other deals so I can pass the savings onto you.

3. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 17, 2010

I suggest you look at bargained pricing for drop shipments as well as stocking up for direct sales. You don't want to hang a lot of capital up in stock, but you may be able to give us better prices through drop shipments.

No. 2 pencils by the brick. I need 2 bricks per year.

0.5 and 0.7 lead. I need several packs a year.

Clip boards, I'm going to be investing in about 10 of them in the coming months as I run math labs and really need some. However, I don't know that you should stock them.

A really good electric pencil sharpner. I'd suggest doing this drop shipped so you don't have to invest in stocking them. I have a cheap, but want a nice one.

Shock collars....oh wait....my P keeps telling me I can use those.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 17, 2010

Classroomdirect.com has the clipboards in their catalogs for 89 cents. I have a few, they are good condition for their price.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 17, 2010

Duct tape...boy and girl colors...oh, wait, we can't use that, either.

I agree with the good pencil sharpener. I have never found an electric one that will last even through one school year.

I'm also looking for take home folders that are laminated and labeled on the inside pockets (important papers and papers to be kept at home...or something like that)

6. Amanda

May 17, 2010

I finally got a good sharpener at Sam's one year and it held up really well. I did request that parents only buy the real wood pencils, though. That makes a huge difference. Reviews are really mixed on the sharpeners I've looked at.

7. Amanda

May 18, 2010

Any other ideas?? What are you going to be looking for when it's time for back to school? I have to do my shopping now!

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 18, 2010

I just ordered the pocket calendar. I had asked about it a long time ago and then forgot to check it out! Good thing you posted the questions Amanda!

9. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

May 18, 2010

those plastic home-school communicator folders or something similar, the school that i did my student teaching used those, but not my current school, so i would love to get those cheaper than ordering them on my own.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 18, 2010

I am on the hunt for chapter books. I would love a place to buy used books for cheap so I can get each of my kids a book. Books are expensive. :eek:

11. Amanda

May 18, 2010

Thanks! :thumb: It shipped today! I think you'll like it.

12. Amanda

May 18, 2010

MsDippel - Are you looking for chapter books in sets?

Mrs Ski - Can you link to an example of what you are looking for?

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 18, 2010

Sounds good. I can't wait!

14. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

May 19, 2010

I need Book Baskets!!! 10 to 15 baskets!

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 19, 2010

Sure! I suppose. Originally I wanted different individual books to give as gifts, but if I got 3 different books in sets of 8 I could just hand them out that way. (I have 24 kids.) I am liking whatever's cheapest. I also need sets for guided reading in future years, and to help build a library. Books are good to have no matter what.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 19, 2010

I need privacy folders, preferably that are sealed. Really Good stuff has some that they say can be wiped down. They are really expensive and my co-worker just spent over $150 for 30 of them. They are glorified corrugated cardboard, and I'd hesitate to wipe them at all. I HATE making test folders every year, they never last and take forever. Also, I have a space theme in my room and have this image in my head of cards for my word wall, basically a rectangle with a star attched. That description stinks, but I made one sort of like it on Word and attached it.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 19, 2010

Paper. Lots of it. None of my kids ever had paper. I spent way too much of my own money because even though I stocked up during the back to school sales, I always ran out around January.

Also, I was always on the hunt for good deals on dry erase markers. I never had enough at the middle school and the college frowned on me taking them from there to use at the middle school.

18. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

May 19, 2010

19. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 19, 2010

fancy pens or markers, dry erase markers, mini chalkboards... laminated word cards,, oh and i second the pencil sharpener!

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 20, 2010

Your prices are too high.

21. Amanda

May 20, 2010

You are quite the trouble-stirrer today, aren't you? :whistle:

I am glad to be able to pass on the discounts. It's rare to find a teacher store that has discounts more than 10%, let alone 20-70%. :dizzy:

22. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 20, 2010

I was looking at your Big Books and $15 is quite high for them used. I can get them on e-bay for $5 each and pocket charts for $8-10. I have been buying quite a bit for my daughter who is graduating in elementary education. I just do not see a 70% discount on anything.

So it is ok for you to call me a trouble maker in the public forum shouldn't that only be dome in private.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 20, 2010

The Pocket Calendar arrived today and I like it a lot! I prefer online shopping, even if it means paying a little shipping. Would cost me just as much in gas, not to mention the time spent driving to a store 20 miles away. Thanks again. Your prices are fine!

24. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

May 20, 2010

Duct tape comes in clear!:D

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 20, 2010

Whiteboard markers. I seem to never have enough and the place I buy them from is quite expensive.
    Do you sell second hand books?? I would like to add to the books in some of my author studies, but don't want to buy new.

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 20, 2010

Oh something else I would like to find are music CD's for the early childhood classroom. Used are fine as long as they don't skip. LOL

27. Amanda

May 20, 2010

I'm glad you got your package, GT!

eBay is a great place to find big books. You can sometimes find them on Amazon too. I have lists compiled over at TeacherBigBooks.com. If you are finding them for only $5, that's great! I've noticed they average $12 and up. Of course with used materials, the condition has a lot to do with the price too. I generally price used books at 50% of retail if they are in very good/like new condition and 60% or more if they are showing signs of wear. The books priced at $14.99 are like new and retail for $32-$34.99.

The truth is I started TeacherDeals.com in order to offer discounts to A to Z teachers. There isn't much $$ to be made with the aggressive pricing strategy but that isn't my goal.

kinderkids - I am looking into adding a section here on the forums so teachers can buy/sell/trade used materials. That will probably be the most cost effective way to build a classroom library.

Thanks for the suggestions... keep them coming. I'll do what I can to find the deals. Sometimes I just have to go with the closeouts that are available. I can sometimes get better pricing on new products, however, like I did with the pocket charts.

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 20, 2010

Yes, music! I need lots of good music!