Teacher wrote on my sons face

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by TheBills, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBills

TheBills New Member

Feb 22, 2010

What are your thoughts on a teacher writing on my sons cheek in red ink because he forgot to use capitals in his writing. This is a grade 3 class. The teacher wrote "CAPITALS" across his cheek

just wondering

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 22, 2010

Sounds like a bad decision by the teacher.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 22, 2010

Was this a joke? Was she playing with your son and did it in fun? Was the teacher mad? I have done silly things with kids joking, but I think that this was too much. Was your child "threatened" by it?

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2010

NOT ok...where are you from?

Even if she was trying to playaround/joke then she should have written it on a post it and stuck it to his desk...pen on skin, never ok!

6. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Feb 22, 2010

We have to put stickers on our children with bus numbers and I admit that I stick the sticker to their forehead for every adult to see; however, I wouldn't dare touch a child with a pen or marker. One teacher used to write the letter of the week on the childrens hands but I could never do that!

7. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Feb 22, 2010

Definitely not okay in any way, shape, or form. Even in jest.

The teacher is mistaken anyway, because if the point was to ensure that he will never forget to use capitals again, how on earth is he supposed to have a reminder by having something written on his CHEEK which he can't SEE? Or maybe he/she thought that he embarrassment of having that on there all day would make him "learn".

I would talk to the teacher and let him/her know that you will be bringing this up with the principal.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2010

:eek:
    TheBills, I think you know how we all feel about this...wrong, wrong, wrong!

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2010

Way off base. I give my students stickers and they are not allowed to place them on any part of their body but their hand. I would discuss with the teacher and then decide if you want to discuss with administration.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2010

Is it just me or does anyone else think both the pen on skin and bus number on forehead are wrong?:whistle:

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2010

I sometimes draw on my kids' hands (smiley faces) with washable markers in light colors, so it washes right off.....

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2010

That's a lot different than what that teacher did to her son's face. I think yours is more like a sticker on the hand and it's a washable marker, not a pen.

13. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2010

My thoughts are that there's a civil case for battery.

Also, that you had better make sure you're getting the whole story correctly.

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2010

I agree that it's different than what the teacher in the original post did, and I would NEVER do that. I would never write anything on a child that wasn't immediately washable, nor would I put anything on a child's face without parental permission (we did paint their faces one year, but we got approval first).

It's just that I'd never thought anyone would be offended by it til I read this post and saw a negative reaction to the bus sticker on the forehead. I see my hand smileys as equal to a stamp you may put on a kid's hand. I actually think that orange Crayola washes off MUCH easier than stamp pads!

15. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Feb 22, 2010

Plus I'm not sure, but I find this situation to be patronizing and likely embarrassing...a smiley face on the hand, not so much

16. teach&bfree

teach&bfree Rookie

Feb 22, 2010

Did you talk to her to "hear" her side of the story. Was this a game? Was he being punished? Either way, a teacher should NEVER write on a student, whether it being his hand or forehead. That is just wrong and shows poor decision-making skills on her part.

Whether she viewed this as a game or whether it was something more serious, I hope you talk with your principal immediately. That is wrong and the teacher should know that it's NOT OK to do that.

:eek:

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2010

Take a picture, and be in the principal's office when school opens tomorrow.

Teaching through embarassment is NOT sound educational policy; it's bullying.

18. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Feb 22, 2010

I think this is terrible!

I don't even understand the gesture. A boy forgets to use capitals in his writing, and the punishment is to write it a reminder on his face (where he can't even see it).

Sounds more like she wanted him to be shamed and others to continually remind him of it by their comments and laughter.

VERY VERY wrong!!

19. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2010

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Strike one would be writing on him. Strike two would be shaming him.

(And, for the record, I don't think we should ever put ink on students' skin, even for a positive hand stamp.)

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 22, 2010

I did write the words "left" and "right" in different color markers to match the colors on the movement poems we were doing earlier this year. I didn't think much about it. I had kids stare at their hands later and recalling the correct color to word (even though it had been completely washed off since then).

As far as this, I can't think of a single positive application. What I would like to know though is what your child had to say about the incident. Then I would want to know what the teacher had to say. If the child said something that alluded to it not being a positive event, I would definitely follow Alice's advice about taking a picture. I might not make a big deal out of it to my child but I would make a big deal out of it in the P's office.

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2010

would you please let us know what you've done about this situation, TheBills?:mellow:

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2010

I still think the teacher should be consulted first to get the first hand story. And, just in case, as Alice said, take a picture.

23. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Feb 22, 2010

Is it possible that your child is mistaken? Could there be another plausible scenario? I can not fathom that someone would use this method as an actual discipline or teaching technique. I would definitely proceed the way you would want an angry parent in your class to proceed. Personally, I'd give the teacher an opportunity to explain things. Using that info, I'd then determine what is the next best step. I wish you well and am hopeful that it was something like a class skit and that was the costume or something. Please do advise to the resolution. Additionally, I quite agree with taking pics in the event that the teacher has taken leave of his/her senses and that you need to proceed officially.

24. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 22, 2010

:yeahthat:

A smiley on the hand is totally different!!!n I can even see where the letter they were learning on the hand could be fun or the letter on the hand when they have mastered the sound or whatever, but drawing on a child as punishment and/or embarrassment - NOT OK!

25. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 22, 2010

I glad a teacher never did this to my child. Thats ridiculous!

When I was in fifth grade my teacher made me put my dress on backwards because I didn't flip my fraction to divide. It was a long time before I even tried to like math again!

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 22, 2010

Wow, that beats my being forced to sit on the floor for the rest of the day because I didn't get long division...

I'm still trying to understand why ANY educator would think writing on a student would be a good idea. :dizzy:

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2010

Why do I think this didn't happen?

28. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 23, 2010

My thoughts exactly. The first thing that came to my mind was TROLL, especially since this person didn't respond to any of the above posts.

I'll apologize if I'm wrong...

29. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 23, 2010

With you!:dizzy:

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 23, 2010

I'm going to close this now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.