Teacher with Cancer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissAbbeyMarie, Feb 12, 2012.

1. MissAbbeyMarie

MissAbbeyMarie Rookie

Feb 12, 2012

I am only a teacher intern at an elementary school this year; I am co-teaching fourth grade. I am only on this particular campus for about two hours every three days, so I don't have much time to do anything other than teach and prepare my lessons.
    Though occasionally, I have some time in between rotation to chat with the other fourth grade teachers and intern. This is where I need help. The fourth grade teacher next door to my cooperating teacher is a lovely woman, who I see for a few minutes every day and she ALWAYS makes me laugh. She is kind, bubbly, sweeter than pie and the most optimistic person I've ever met.
    Recently, this past week, she was diagnosed with breast cancer on her thirty-eighth birthday. This breaks my heart. Now I want to do something nice for her, but I don't know her very personally, so what would be too weird or overstepping?
    She has a few kids, she is very christian and has been teaching for years if any of that helps. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

My momwas recently diagnosed with lung cancer (Even though she never smoked) so I can understand to a very small degree the kind of shock that your friend must be feeling. I would suggest anything from as small as a "I'm thinking of you" card to a gift basket of her favorite things to spoil her a bit. When she begins chemo she will be extremely tired and sick. So help her to enjoy the time that she has now so that she is able to relax and rest before her treatments start.

4. 4dogmom

4dogmom Rookie

Feb 12, 2012

I just went through breast cancer last year. I did not have to have chemo. I just had 20 radiation treatments. That made very busy days! I taught all day and then went to treatments after school. Several people gave us gift cards so we could just stop for a bite. It was really a blessing. Most of all she will just need to know you care. Between my family, school family, and church family, I had great support!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

What helped me when I found that tumor was concrete help.

The kindest thing anyone EVER did for me was the week following my mastectomy. My father in law was dying and my husband was the only one of his siblings within 4 hours of dad. My mother in law didn't drive. Each day, Peter would stop home and check in on me, then make the 50 minute drive to the hospital to see his dad, make sure mom had dinner and got home from the hospital safely and then drive home. I was of no help; I couldn't drive and wasn't supposed to lift "anything heavier than a teacup." I couldn't even wash my own hair.

Every night that week, the women I work with delivered a hot dinner to my house. KFC, lasagna, chicken cutlets, tacos, and I forget what else. They fed my family when the world was crashing down. Even now, 3 years later, I'm getting teary eyed at the keyboard as I explain their remarkable kindness.

She may or may not need radiation or chemo; that will depend on the particulars of her condition. But concrete help will make such a difference. Flowers are lovely, as are fruit and cards. But those women who fed my family that week were angels sent down from heaven, and I'll be forever in their debt.

Also, if she needs someone to "talk" to, please have her PM me.

6. MissAbbeyMarie

MissAbbeyMarie Rookie

Feb 12, 2012

Thanks y'all for the advice. She does need chemo unfortunately, for twenty weeks. She is so sweet though, while the other two teachers on my team were just looking at her with sad eyes, she was making jokes about "getting new tits". Bless her.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 12, 2012

Our TA was diagnosed with breast cancer last May. A calendar sent around and every 2 days someone signed up to make the family dinner. We did this for 3 months. We also took up a collection and bought gift cards that could be used for gas or a quick bite on the road if need be. We also sent flowers every two weeks as a "Thinking of You" gesture. Anything you do I am sure will be greatly appreciated by her and her family.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

Could you take a recess duty for her?
    Pack a daily lunch for two?