teacher with a few years experience or one with lots

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by deeceekids, May 14, 2010.

1. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 14, 2010

In this day and age, do you think districts are more willing to hire fresh teachers with no experience and less money on the payscale, or do you think they still aim to hire one with lots of experience and masters degrees? Just wondering.

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 14, 2010

They hire the best person for the job. That could be a newbie or someone with experience.

4. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 14, 2010

In our district they hired 3 new teachers, one with NO experience, one with a few years, and one with a lot of experience! Does that help? lol!

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 14, 2010

I think it doesn't matter.

6. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 14, 2010

I think is most cases it doesn't matter as long as the teacher fits the needs of their school.

However, I will say that I think the district I sub in wanted new teachers only due to HUGE budget cuts last school year. I was at a meeting that the district has for teachers new to the district and subs. Someone asked all the FIRST year teachers to raise their hand and all but ONE was a first year (this is a HUGE district too). Of course that could be because we live in an area that produces a lot of teachers, too. I'll never know ;).

7. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 14, 2010

I just wondered not just for my sake, but because it seems as if the district that I am subbing for has lots of young teachers with perhaps 3-5 years of teaching experience. Not sure how many have their masters degrees though.

8. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

May 14, 2010

It depends on the position/group of students. I have eight years experience (4 at pre-school -no degree, 2 in my own class - with a Bachelors, 2 as a sub - mostly long term positions). I do not have a Masters, but experienc does help!! If they can find someone with experience in the field and don't have to pay for the degree, it's a bonus. With that said, I'm sure NO school system would sacrifice QUALITY teachers just because they want to pay a lower wage.

9. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 14, 2010

I just talked with my principal today, and he said I am the first teacher he has ever hired that has no experience.

I will be the only new teacher at the district I will be working at, and the district itself averages 17 years of teaching experience.

Apparently, no one ever leaves this place.

10. CJandSA

CJandSA Rookie

May 14, 2010

I had an interview this week - and the principal and department head brought this up without me even asking. They said that to them - the most important thing they were looking for was energy, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude. They said that those things could be found in a brand new teacher or a teacher who has been teaching for many years. But if they hired someone based only on the fact they had X years of experience and they lacked energy and excitement - the students would not be getting the best education they could get.

Made me feel good since my experience is limited as an Alt. Cert. candidate. ;)

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 14, 2010

I think it depends on the district. Some may see hiring a new teacher as a way to cut on budgets, some would rather hire someone with experience, and some hire based on the needs of the school and who fits the best.

12. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

May 14, 2010

I am working as a paraprofessional now because it is so hard to find a teaching position. Well, one opened in my school and I applied to it. Do you know what my principal told me? I did not get an interview for it because they thought I did not have enough experience. I know that they like me and it is not an issue of that, because she always goes on and on about how they don't want to lose me and how great the kids I work with are doing. She even wrote me a fabulous letter of recommendation. I asked... How do you get experience if you can't get a job? I did not get a real answer to the question.
    The only experience I haven't had at this point is a full year classroom teacher. I have been a long term sub, paraprofessional, year long intern (different than student teaching), test prep tutor, etc... basically if you can name it- I have done it. Yet still, it isn't enough. It is amazing.

But oh well. I have been getting interviews at other districts. Now I just need one of them to hire me!

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 14, 2010

I agree, I was hired last year and I have lots of experience. We also hired brand new teachers. Teachers are hired for the purpose of being the best fit for a school and the school community.:)

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 14, 2010

That is not right to keep you in that position when you are proving yourself everyday. You need to be looking elsewhere. Kind words are nice but, the fact is that you are not appreciated where you are. Look elsewhere and apply, apply, apply in the district you are in. Maybe a smart principal will give you a break. Sending positive thoughts.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 14, 2010

That is way not the norm in my district. Most teachers have only 5 to 15 years experience and we hire a lot of new teachers. But they also hired me and I have a lot of experience. So it just shows... anyone can get the job if they are the right fit.:)

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 14, 2010

When I was on our interview team for a new third grade teacher, that question didn't even come up. We had a brand new teacher and someone with 5 years experience interview. We ended up going with the new teacher, but it had nothing to do with budget. (Let's just say it doesn't help your interview start off on a good foot when you show up in jeans and a tank top!)

17. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

May 14, 2010

Thank you... I know it's not right and it made me very angry and upset when it happened. I have applied to about 100 schools already this year and am waiting to hear back from an interview about an hour away. I also found an opening in a Reggio school, and my undergrad degree focused on Reggio Emilia. I am really hoping for an interview at that school because I just have a feeling about that one... The district I am in now is very small for the area I am in so I doubt they will have much more in the way of openings (and if they do, I will run into the same problem). I am lucky to even be getting interviews because most districts in my immediate area are closing at least 1 and sometimes 2 elementary schools for next year. :mad:

18. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

May 14, 2010

Hi! When I was hired in my district 2 summers ago, they hired me with a master's and I was going into my 12th year teaching. Last summer my principal told me she was so lucky to have gotten me b/c she would have never have been hire me if it has been last summer. Now we are hiring a new teacher this year and my principal told me the guideline for hiring this year will be to recommend someone with 3 years or less experience and a bachelor's, of course due to budget constraints. Other than that, I believe they preferred at least a couple of years experience.