Teacher who are parents: virtual learning

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBrooke, Aug 11, 2020.

1. TeacherBrooke

TeacherBrooke Rookie

Aug 11, 2020

My district still isn’t positive what they’re doing this year. One option they are throwing around is students distance learning at home while teachers still report to the schools to do the “distance teaching”. My question is for any of you teacher parents out there who can’t be with your own kids during virtual learning. What are you going to do with your own kids? Who is going to help them with virtual learning while you are at work? My kids are in K and 2nd, so they need a lot of assistance during this time and I just don’t think it’s right for me to put that on my mother in law- if she’s even willing to watch them! Then that brings up the bigger question for all working parents... who is going to make sure these kids get on their zoom calls while they’re at daycare?

Unetheladyteacher likes this.
  3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2020

And this is another reason why I am not fan of synchronous distance learning. Not everyone can access it due to parent obligations.

As for my own kindergartner, I am fortunate that my husband works from home and has a flexible schedule.

We have not yet been told if we are teaching from home or from our classrooms. If we teach from home I will probably include him in some of my lessons.

Backroads, TeacherBrooke and MrsC like this.
  4. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Aug 11, 2020

My partner has a five-year-old entering kindergarten this year and I am following this thread. My partner wants her to learn virtually, but both of us work at schools and won't be home much during the day (he works a split shift as a bus driver at the local school district, so he gets a break for an hour or two during the day, but that is it). I work in a district where I might still have to go to work if the school closes and kids are all told to learn virtually. We talked about it some and he is considering daycare, because he heard good reviews about a place that still has openings for kids. I agree with Teacher Brooke. Who will make sure the kids do their work while at daycare? Will the kids have computer access at daycare, or will a parent have to leave a laptop with a little kid just to make sure they can access the videos they need to understand their assignments? If daycare is not helping with work, will kids have to wait until after daycare to do work? My district says kids need to meet with their teachers at least once a week to check in. How can that happen at daycare? I feel that is putting a lot of responsibility on daycare providers. There are just so many variables that no one seems to be thinking about when they tell schools to reopen and bring back staff and students.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2020

I'm confused. What's the point of putting a child in daycare with other kids but NOT letting them go to school with other kids? Depending on how many kids there will be I don't think it's fair to put distance learning on the shoulders of daycare workers. I can see them helping with homework but distance learning isn't the same.

6. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Aug 11, 2020

Teacher NY, you do make a good point about putting kids in daycare but not letting them return to school. However, my partner is not the biggest fan of her returning to school. We personally don't have a lot of family nearby and have no one to take care of my partner's daughter if she stays home instead of going to school. I think it is a good point to bring up about daycare versus school. It shouldn't be the daycare provider's job to do these zoom calls or help a kid with their homework, especially since I don't think they signed on for that in the first place. So, where do kids go during virtual learning if both parents have to work?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2020

Maybe try to hire someone to come to your house? If parents do not have the option of staying home then they might just have to send them to school. Does the school not have a reopening plan? What part of it does your partner have a problem with? I'm assuming It's not your child though (from what you're said) so I think it's up to your partner to figure this out. Even if I were the one staying home and working I would want to be responsible for taking care of my partner's daughter when she has to do her school work. But that's just me.

a2z likes this.
  8. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Aug 11, 2020

I honestly don't either. I think the only reason I am being included in these discussions is because he is running out of options for what to do with her in September. I have basically left it to him and these are the options he has come up with. I am the type of person who likes to be helpful, but in this case, have backed away as necessary because, as you are right to point out, it isn't my child (we just live together). I have learned over the years that being helpful still allows you to say no as needed. It is fully his responsibility to figure it out. I have said I can not be available for care because I have been asked by my school to return to work five days a week. He has taken that into account and that is part of why other options need to be found.

The local school has a reopening plan which gives parents the option of in-person or virtual learning. The school also has not properly submitted their plan to the state, so they may be forced to go all virtual if they do not get it together soon (this is not the district I work at).

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2020

What about the child's other parent?

10. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Aug 11, 2020

Not fully in the picture, and she lives out of state and quite far away. She is of limited help unless we send the daughter to her via plane. I try not to pry too much about that because I don't feel like that is my issue. Thank you for the suggestions, though.

I have no further ideas for the OP, though, so I will go back to the original poster's question:

What are parents going to do with their kids during virtual learning?

11. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2020

What are parents going to do is the question of the year and probably the main reason there is so much pressure on schools to reopen. Having kids at home is simply not sustainable for many, many families.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2020

Yeah, I'm wondering what my nephews are going to end up doing. If they open the schools here they will probably be sent to school. I think my sister in law can work from home BUT I can't imagine her getting any work done with my 5 year old nephew talking a mile a minute all day long and getting into things when her back is turned LOL

13. TeacherBrooke

TeacherBrooke Rookie

Aug 11, 2020

I actually heard today that our district may be providing childcare for teacher’s kids. That would solve my problem, but still so many parents will be struggling with this and in turn, their child will suffer from an inconsistent school schedule.

Backroads likes this.
  14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2020

Most of the people I know have teenagers, and pretty responsible ones at that. They’re hoping to be able to leave them home by themselves or with relatives.

I’m glad ours is grown. It’s tough enough trying to balance two teachers at two different districts. I can’t imagine throwing a kid in the mix.

15. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Aug 11, 2020

My district has left it up to the pricipal's discretion to bring our kids to school. Some principals have flat out told their staff they cant bring their kids. This has created a situation that is not fair to all teacher-parents.

16. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2020

Essential workers have been facing this issue since schools closed back in March.

Non-essential workers who were able to work from home but had jobs that didn't allow flexibility and had schools that had virtual learning that had check ins have been dealing with this since March.

On top of all that we have heard the cries of the "awful parents" who aren't making sure their children are doing the work (or doing it when they are supposed to be doing it - of course, not saying it is anyone here, but it certainly was said in many other social forums).

Here have been the choices of families that have been in this for a long time already:
    1. Have a relative or friend help and bear the risk of covid from the relative.
    2. Put them in a day care that will support virtual learning.
    3. Hire someone to come to the home.
    4. Try to make it work regardless (and utterly fail at it because it is near impossible). But don't worry when your child's teacher thinks bad of you because you aren't doing enough.
    5. Don't do what is necessary for your job and bear the consequences.
    6. Say what the heck because you are put in an impossible situation. Food on the table has to outweigh the situation the school insists is "workable". Again, ignore the fact that you are now one of "those" parents. (Not all teachers feel this way, but plenty do.)

bella84, Backroads and vickilyn like this.
  17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 14, 2020

Let me guess. You are a part of this organization.

a2z and Tired Teacher like this.
  18. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2020

Depending upon your m-in-law, you might be happily surprised! I don't think I am the only person who would do it happily. I know a lot of grandparents ( younger ones) who would do the same. If she is real old, maybe not.

a2z likes this.
  19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 23, 2020

We are providing full-time child care for staff members’ kids.

It’s definitely interesting!

bella84 likes this.
  20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 8, 2020

I think it depends on the kids and if the grandparents can handle them. Also, some grandparents still work. My mom is working from home so she wouldn't be able to help my nephews with remote learning. If they are retired they might not want the responsibility. I know some grandparents love spending time with their grandkids but I know some that definitely do not want to be responsible for them for a good portion of the day!

21. Aces

Aces Devotee

Sep 9, 2020

I’m thankful my kids are older and I can trust them to get on their calls and what not. My neighbor “watches” by that I mean she’s at our house but they do their school work and stuff.

22. AmberP

AmberP Rookie

Jan 19, 2021

Hello! Distance learning with my oldest son is just a lot of homework. Sometimes he had to sit until 11 p.m., then he just didn't have time to do everything. They didn't have any lessons, just self-study.