Teacher Websites

Discussion in 'General Education' started by njteach41, Aug 21, 2012.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 21, 2012

What sites did you use to make your classroom website. My district doesn't offer one so I'll be making one on my own. I've used Teacherweb and Weebly before...

3. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 21, 2012

I highly recommend Google sites -- it is free and easy to use, and so customizable. You can link documents, forms, spreadsheets, presentations, whatever you need.

Classjump.com is widely used by teachers at my school. I was one of the first to use it, but I found that it limited me more than I wanted. If you want to keep it simple, it is a great tool. If you want to do more, I would go with Google sites.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

My school switched last year to goole sites, and asked each teacher to set up a site.

It was incredibly easy. I helped a LOT of other people, and I'm not exactly tech saavy myself.

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 21, 2012

Yep. Google sites.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 21, 2012

I also use Google Sites and like it a lot. Before that, I used Classjump, which many of the teachers in my school still use. I ran into too many technical difficulties with it, though.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 21, 2012

We use OnCourse.

When I didn't have that I used Wikispaces....INCREDIBLY easy and useful.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 21, 2012

Lots of the free sites are easy to maneuver, so I always go with the themes (style, look). This year, I went with weebly.

9. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Aug 21, 2012

I used Joomla for my student site, and Weebly for the site that I used to share resources with other teachers. Joomla was a lot to learn, though.

I think it comes down to what you want to do with it. If you're mostly using it as a communication tool and a link list, there's no reason to fret over who hosts it or what you use to develop it. If you're looking for something more educational in nature, you have to start looking at what exactly you want to be capable of (video and audio hosting, flash, lots of space, unlimited e-mail addresses are great for projects submitted online, because you can have a different e-mail for each project and it doesn't get cluttery, etc.).

10. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Aug 21, 2012

Also, are you confident that your district is okay with it? It's always worth checking...some districts will create a list of non-approved sites that the students are visiting frequently during school time and block them all, at the end of each year. :eek:

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

I find Google Sites to be cumbersome and not as easy as other Google stuff. :( Maybe I'm just doing it wrong....

I really like Edmodo. The biggest thing that I love about it is that it is private, so only my students (and their parents, if I set it up that way) will be able to see my page. It allows for a safe setting where students can post freely without fear of strangers coming in and seeing what they post.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2012

Weebly is sooooo easy to use! I thought about creating one to use instead of my district provided website :whistle:

13. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 21, 2012

I use Edmodo and pbworks. For some reason I did not find google sites easy. Go figure.