Teacher Websites

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by EiffelTower, Jun 24, 2010.

1. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 24, 2010

Does anyone have any good recommendations for teacher websites? I'm looking to revamp mine for the upcoming year, but I would like to see how other teacher's are organizing theirs and what information they are including. Thanks!

3. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 24, 2010

4. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 24, 2010

Thanks for the link, teachling!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

Mine is www.mrs.uppman.com

It needs to be updated, as I haven't had a classroom in over a year. I'll start to re-vamp this summer for this year's class. The main page is usually a blog, and I have a page with newsletter and hand-out links.

I put all my teaching ideas on www.realclassroomideas.com-I don't want to mix those up with my parent information. ;)

6. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jun 24, 2010

Mine is www.mrsrdz.com; I didn't get much of a response from my students/parents so I stopped updating it mid-year. I have a section for students & parents that requires a log-in name and password for privacy purposes, and that's where I posted classroom photos and talked about assignments, events, and field trips.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 25, 2010

There's a big age difference, but I pm'd you mine-I don't like to post it because I have a lot of kid pics and web cam videos that the students made on it. I have parental consent to post them, but still... Good luck!

8. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jun 25, 2010

9. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jun 25, 2010

10. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 25, 2010

My school district gave us a teacher website and just recently decided to switch us to a blog format in wordpress. That way we have access to pages that stay constant (homework policy, behavior, etc.) but can also post blog posts for last minute information, etc. Here is my blog:

http://blogs.bullittschools.org/melissadaunhauer/

11. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jun 25, 2010

It's funny that you posted that one... I was going to post it too! I thought it was really cool and have it bookmarked. I might try to create one on there.

Our county set us up with websites, but I would like to have some more flexibility with what I do:

http://2nd-grade.pwcs.potomacview.schoolfusion.us/modules/groups/integrated_home.phtml?gid=962755&sessionid=729e8afe9cb0cff4d37b226ea7f74784

I was actually impressed by how much my students were using it this year. I did a lot of showing it off on the smartboard so that they could see the different links and activities up there. They were constantly telling me that they were playing Jeopardy with mom or dad.

12. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 25, 2010

Mine is www.snipurl.com/kasserman. I have a lot of things for the kids to do, and the first week of school I have the computer teacher allow them time to explore during computer class. I find if the kids are interested and involved, then the parents are more likely to check it out, too.

I am in the middle of updating it for next year, so some things aren't done.

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 25, 2010

Great resources at your site. Thanks for sharing!

14. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 25, 2010

Love how the format is easy to follow! You guys are inspiring me to try to do one! :)

15. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jun 25, 2010

You could also consider doing a wiki. That way, you can have private and public pages. You could then choose to have student and parent collaboration/discussion. I just made one this summer, so I don't have examples of student discussions, but there are several example wikis for teachers. Here's mine: http://mrsknightsenglishwiki-s9gs.wikispaces.com/
    I've also heard great things about pbwikis.

16. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jun 25, 2010

Mine is www.mrshickmansclass.webnode.com I haven't changed anything since school's been out, so it looks a little outdated! lol. I had several parents ask me if I would get the other teachers in my building on board with a webpage so they can know what's going on...I'm working on them! :)

17. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jun 25, 2010

Here's the link to my website:
    https://www.madison.k12.al.us/Schools/s9gs/facultystaff/bknight/default.aspx
    The school board uses a specific web server, so I have to work with their choice. I think I'm going to like my wiki much more than my website.

18. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jun 25, 2010

Mine is a work in progress, but I only started less than a week ago, and have never created a website in my life...so I think I'm getting there. Please feel free to comment on good or bad things you find :)

http://sites.google.com/site/aak4th

19. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 25, 2010

Wow! Thank you everyone that posted their links. I will definitely be reviewing all of your sites ASAP to get some fresh ideas for my own site. :)

20. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 26, 2010

I really like the way you've used a blog as your class website. I think that it is very clean looking and nicely organized. I'm going to steal your Topic of the Week idea since our teacher websites are a website and blog in one. Did you make up questions each week or were you using questions that you'd found online or in a book?

21. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 26, 2010

Your website was ADORABLE, absolutely adorable!

22. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 26, 2010

Thanks! I am stealing http://www.spellingcity.com/ from your site. I haven't heard of it, but after exploring it, I think it will definitely come in handy this year.

23. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 26, 2010

Oh my gosh! Your website is so stinkin' cute! I am now creating my own site at webnode.com because of it! I can't wait to show mine off, too!

24. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jun 26, 2010

The Topic of the Week idea was meant to get them more active on the blog. I would toss a discussion topic out there, get a few comments but then I put it on the students. I created a thread where they made suggestions for Topic of the Week. I started it late in the year so we only got through about six topics or so. Next year, I'll probably make it a combination of my ideas and theirs. You'd be surprised at what the kids will suggest when you give them ownership of it. My one expectation was that it be a "thinking question" - something that required them to think carefully and critically as opposed to just answering a question.

If you want some help putting your blog together, feel free to PM me and we'll get in touch through email.

25. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

I can't wait to check out all of these great resources! I have a class website that I built at home using my Mac, but it isn't linked through our school site, but I send out a link to parents and students when I update it. We are a small enough community that this is allowed - with permission from sup't.'s office. I am in the process of revamping the grade level site that IS linked from our school site. It needs updating and that is my summer project. :blush:

PM me, ET, and I will send you my link and password. I am 3rd grade and I have several pages on mine....including one for the schedule, timely info (like spelling words and current projects), a writing page, photo albums, useful links, a blog, etc. My students and parents LOVED using this site - we've been out of school for almost a month and I still get feedback from them.

26. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

Om my - I just checked out all of your amazing websites and I am so very impressed (and humbled by my own attempts). Since nearly all of my kids have access, I am going to look at implementing some of your ideas to make our site more interactive. Keep those fabulous ideas coming!

27. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

Are the word study words vocabulary or spelling words? Also wondering about the "check your answers before you look" post. I am guessing it is a self-check for a homework page. ??

I really love that in each area the kids jump in and participate!

28. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 26, 2010

100%Canadian: I saw as I explored your site more that you were having your students come up with the questions. I like that idea because it does create an increase in student buy in. I'll probably post the question for the first several weeks so they can see the type of questions I'm expecting before I turn it over to them. Thanks for the offer of help, too. I think I'm good to go but I appreciate it. :)

29. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 26, 2010

Feel free to check mine out. PM me if you have any critiques or helpful comments, please! :0)

http://zoerb.edublogs.org

It hasn't been updated since the beginning of last year. :(

30. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jun 26, 2010

I was never a fan of the old style of spelling (Here's a list of words, memorize them, dictation on Friday.). So instead, I use a spelling list per se, but I teach them usage and context with those words. So in addition to knowing the spelling, they also know how to use it properly in a sentence. Tests are every second week where for some, they fill in the blank of a set of sentences with the most appropriate list word; the rest they use in a sentence of their own, which is also scored on complexity. On top of all of this, I also teach some kind of grammar concept (synonyms, prefixes, compound words, Latin roots etc.), which is also tested. At the end of the first week, I give them a pretest so they can gauge what they know and focus on what they need to know for the following week's test. Hence the post about checking your answers first. I try to get the pretest done in class but sometimes time doesn't permit so I leave it on them to check.

31. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jun 26, 2010

Happy to help! :)

32. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 27, 2010

100%Canadian, I agree with the comment about the simplicity & the way you've setup your site as a blog. Would love to do something similar. I would like to set one up that is easy & simple so I can keep up & is elementary kid-friendly.

33. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jun 27, 2010

PM me if you have any questions or would like some help. Again, Wordpress makes it pretty easy.

34. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jun 28, 2010

Looks solid! Good luck with it.

35. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

These have been great to look at. Thanks to all who left links!