Teacher Website Help

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by DotyMath, Jul 18, 2006.

1. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Our school technology coordinator told me last week that she wants every teacher to make his/her own website and she would link them to the school's website.
    Is there a website that is better or easier to use? Should I pay a yearly fee for a website, or are the free ones just as good?
    Thanks for your help! :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

Wait, is this a school requirement or something the tech coordinator wants to do? My school has teacher websites but they are hosted on our server and can be designed through our email system (FirstClass). If all teachers are doing this or if it is a school requirement then the school should pay for or hook you up to some server. That said, there are free ways for teachers to design webpages. I'm sure you'll get many suggestions here. I don't know them because as I said my district hosts our sites.

4. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

The last school I worked at hosted the websites for teachers, but the new school doesn't have that as an option.

The tech coordinator at my new school told me that she wants all teachers to have their own websites, but this is the first year she has even tried it, so I am sure there will be some objections from teachers.

I definitely want my own website for my students and parents to access outside of school.

5. keeley73

keeley73 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I took a tech class where we were able to do a website through scholastic for free. It was basically already set up as far asit being designed. You just have to type the pertinent info. and it guides you through the whole process.

6. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 18, 2006

7. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I think requiring teachers to build and maintain a website and not providing server space or a program to make the site is out of line.

However, if you WANT to make one, that's different.

There are several website hosts that are geared toward teachers. I've seen several Teacherweb site that are nice, and I've recently heard that eoffice hours is easy and professional-looking - http://www.eofficehours.com/

Other possibilities:
    http://www.schoolrack.com/
    http://www.teacherwebsite.com/
    http://www.classnotesonline.com/index.php

If you you are comfortable with html ot an html editor ( ie Dreamweaver) you can get your your own domain and webspace for 4 - 7 dollars a month.

I personally dislike most of the free sites like geocities, tripod, and angelfire because for teacher pages:
    1. the advertisements look unprofessional
    2. sometimes the ads link to not-so-nice pages
    3. pop ups annoy me (I forget which one has the pop ups, but I can't stand 'em)

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2006

I agree that asking all teachers to pay a monthly fee to have a website is out of line. Your tech teacher is in for a surprise when all of the teachers freak out from this request. You may want to suggest to him/her that it is unrealistic for him/her to expect that all teachers in the building pay to have a website.

For something free, I suggest Yahoo Geocities. You can build your own "site" and link it to your school site. Eventually, if you really enjoy it, you can get a domain and an ad free site for $8.95 a month. This is what I do and I've tried to give it up, but for my professional life, I find it very useful and something I like to invest in.

9. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I do think that the tech person will run into opposition about all teachers to have a website. This is the first year that they have ever tried anything like that (the school system website hasn't been updated in a couple of years)

I had a teacher website at my last school, and it was really helpful for my students and their parents. :)

I want to be more technologically savvy, and as a new teacher in a new school system, I probably won't be as quick to point out that teachers should have a program provided to them for websites. (OK - I will keep my big mouth shut unless asked and even then I may not be so upfront with my opinions). :angel:

I also want to have a website that I can access and update from my house.

Thanks for all the help so far!:thanks:

10. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

Last year I did a Teacherweb webpage. They are very easy to use, but you can't get super creative with them.

I just created a webpage for this next year in Front Page and I REALLY like using that program. I publish it through Charter (my internet service at home).

11. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

If you can get a hold of dreamweaver, go live, or another drag and drop web page designing tool it can help you design simple but elegant pages. Such programs allow you to design them from the visual end and you literally drag and drop items into place. No code knowledge needed unless you plan to incorporate more sophisticated things that might require specific HTML codes the drag and drop cannot provide. I have go live (made by adobe and is included in the creative suite which is rather expensive as bundle ... i got mine as a student and paid a LOT less than the usual price) and it has everything you need to create and publish minus the cool graphics and the web space and domain.

***edited to add

If you want to host your own there are many providers that if you pay for the full year it costs about $6 a month with tons of space and cool add ins and such. I built my husband a page and his as a forum on it. To have a forum it requires the use of SQL data bases.

The decision between free and paid...

Free sites often as said before have ads, pop ups, etc. and will usually have the providers url in your url. ie www.tripod.YOURCHOSENPART.com

Paid sites
    You pick your url, often comes with free email addresses, and built in web design tools through the provider, image banks, and tools to enhance your site,