teacher turn-over

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Jul 27, 2012.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

just curious - what is the turn-over rate like at your school? I have been at my current school for almost 5 yrs. Not a big school we are now up to 50 teachers this year. Every year we are told we are the best staff ever and at the end of the year at least 4+ teachers are let go and new ones are hired. is this typical ?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

I teach in a small district. Normally we only have about 1-2 teachers leave/retire, and none of those are let go. This year though in addition to the 3 retirements, we had 5 teachers leave. Granted 4 of those were husband/wife that left to pursue better coaching positions, but still for a staff of about 20, that makes an impact!

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 27, 2012

The turn over rate where I work is much much higher than that. Over half the staff left last year.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 27, 2012

I have worked at schools where the turnover rate was horrible. Of 30 teachers, we had at least 15 new ones each year. I was there 3 years, and at the start of the 3rd year, only 8 of the teachers were there the whole time I was there!!! At my current school, turnover is low. We had 2 retire, and 1 move out of state last year. We are getting about 6 new teachers this year, but that is due to the 3 who left, plus increasing enrollment.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 27, 2012

We haven't had a teacher let go since I've been there. Most of our openings are due to people moving up into admin roles, retiring or deciding to stay home with new babies. Every once in awhile someone will leave because they don't like the grade/class they are placed with.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

We don't have a very high turnover rate. I think that we've had 8 teachers leave in the last 5 years and 3 of those were retirees, 2 left for personal reasons, and the others were let go.

8. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

I worked at a small elementary school last year that only had 14 teachers. At the end of the year 10 teachers left and 2 were let go. How's that for turnover.... 86%!!! Everyone left because of the horrible administration. In the past 2 years the school had 5 different principals! I'm so glad to have my new job! :)

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 27, 2012

My principal hires mostly first year teachers...then he gets them for sure for 3 years (due to our contract). I'm the most experienced teacher (going on 16 years) and the teacher behind me is going on 7 years of experience. I'm hoping to leave next year as with the teacher with 6 years experience b/c all of our PD is geared towards new teachers and we are treated as new teachers.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2012

I think of teacher turnover to mean the teacher elects to leave as opposed to being asked to leave by admin. Do you mean in general?

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012

We have a staff of just over 100, and typically we'll have 5-7 new teachers each year. Some are due to retirements, some are teachers who aren't asked back.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 27, 2012

The last few years, we have had between 2-4 teachers either leave or be let go in our building. I am not sure what the turn-over rate is for my district as a whole.

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2012

In my previous district the turnover rate was at least 1/3. Most teachers left by choice, mostly due to the extremely high cost of living and no salary, but a few were RIF'd or cut for performance.

14. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 27, 2012

We don't have a huge turnover rate. The most recent hire in my department (social studies) was 10 years ago. The highest turnover rate is probably in the math department. I can think of 4 or 5 people off of the top of my head who didn't have their contracts renewed due to performance in the past five or so years.

We had a huge "exodus" a few years ago when many of the teachers who qualified for retirement left because they were offered lifetime medical benefits. Up until that point, we had some teachers in my school who had been there for 40+ years and many others who were there in the 30+ range. I would say that now the majority of people have taught there for 10-15 years, although we still have people who have been there since the 1970s.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

This year we have one new teacher deciding that teaching isn't for him, and one long time teacher taking a year off to be home with her young kids. To the best of my knowledge that's it, from a faculty of over 120 teachers.

In the early years of the school, we had lots of turnover. As we became more concrete on who we were and what we expect in terms of professionalism, that rate has decreased sharply.

Of course, we WILL have a few more new teachers this year, simply because our enrollment has skyrocketed.

I'm so glad it's not my job to figure out where to put all the extra lockers we'll need :)

16. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 27, 2012

We are a staff of 20 and this year one teacher left on her own and I fired one. It has been several years since we've had turn-over with the staff.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

The turnover rate at my school fluctuates from year to year. It has been anywhere from about 10% to about 40%. This year was a big year for turnover, so we're going to have a ton of new (to the school and new in general) teachers next year.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 27, 2012

Thirty percent of the teachers at my old school will be teaching elsewhere this next year. If you include support staff and administration, the percentage would even be higher.

19. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 27, 2012

We are pretty stable. Most of our turnover is due to retirement or family moves.

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2012

We have low turn-over. Usually 15-20 retirees in the district and 2 or 3 who leave for other reasons. This year 3 teachers were let go, and that was a record high.

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2012

We don't have a high turnover in terms of teachers being let go, but we had a lot of teachers retire at the end of last year. There will be a few more years like that in the next 5 years, and then there will be little teacher turnover for a while.

As long as I've been at my school, only a handful have been let go (in 8 years). One year it was several due to huge budget cuts in the district, but otherwise only 2 I know of in my building were actually let go for another reason.

22. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 27, 2012

When I was at the high school in my district the only people who left my dept were retirees or RIFed. At my current school we had 5 people leave at the end of the year. Four retired and one left for a new district. I think that's pretty typical for the school every year, though the retirement has been higher the last two years due to retirement incentives being offered to help with our budget issues.

23. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 27, 2012

Wow--I'm surprised there are contracts that require teachers to commit for more than a year. I'm guessing your union is weak or absent?

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 27, 2012

I'm so incredibly shocked to see the turnover rates at some of your schools/districts!!! :eek:hmy:

We're a pretty high-paying district (for my part of California) with really good administrators. It's HARD to get a foot in the door in my district!

No one leaves unless they retire. I believe we have a huge group of laid off people who are on a waiting list to return!

25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 27, 2012

My last school, we had a 70% turnover in the middle of the year. Like, I came back from Christmas and had a whole new team. :rolleyes: I had 6 different grade level partners last year!

My new school was just noted for losing less than 20% of their staff since 2004. This is huge in my district. We have pretty high turnover in general. My new team is mostly veteran teachers. It's so different!

26. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2012

We had a lot this year. Usually one or two teachers may leave. This year it was more like 5. And then people transferring into those open positions make it seem like more positions need to be filled because then their jobs come up as open. Between the original job openings and the openings that were created from internal transfers I bet there were 10 jobs posted for my building this year.

27. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 28, 2012

At my school last year, we had 9 teachers and our principal not return. The principal went to another school, 1 teacher moved, 1 teacher resigned, 3 of us went to another district/school (me included), 1 began her student teaching, 1 is pregnant and won't be returning, and 1 is going back to school. Our Admin. Assistant left in early April because she couldn't stand to be there anymore. When you only have 12 teachers and less than 20 total staff members, that's a LOT of turnover!

28. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 28, 2012

Due to low pay and horrible board-level admin, my district has a very high teacher turnover rate. However, I have been at my current school for going on 4 years, and only 3 people have left - one teacher's hubby was military and was transferred, one retired after 30+ years, and the other left to teach closer to her home. Of course, we only have 14 teachers, so that's probably a huge part of it!