Teacher Trainings

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 26, 2012

How many trainings/seminars do you go to on avg a yr? Do you like going to them? Does your P make it mandatory or do you ask your P if you can go?

With my old job, I asked to go to all 4 of the ones I went to in that year, which the P allowed.

Now that I have a new & different (non-teaching) position at another district, I will have gone to 4 before the year's over & I will have paid a total of $90, which is fine w/ me (but I'll see if I can be reimbursed). One has been mandatory, another I found & went to on my own time, & the other 2 were suggested, but not made mandatory. I personally love them, it's a lot of great info! I especially like it when they count for CEU units.

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 26, 2012

I usually present at 1 or 2 a year and attend 1 or 2 more.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 26, 2012

It varied from year to year. One year I went to none. Another year I went to at least 8.

I've never had to pay, though. In fact, all of the trainings/workshops I've attended, we got paid! For one series of trainings, we got paid around $1000 if you attended all of them. Typically, it was based on overtime pay.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 2, 2012

I haven't gone to any this 2012-13 yr yet, but I'm registered for 2 in the future & there's 3 more I REALLY want to attend. If I can at attend these 5 this year, I'll be happy!

My boss is resigning next week & I put in a req for 1, which was just approved this week. Should I put in for 2 more now or should I put in for 1 & submit requests for the rest after she's gone? I think my req have a better chance of being approved if I don't submit too many at once.

6. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Nov 2, 2012

I'm going to one next week. I usually go to a three day geography one (75 dollars) but this year they were charging $75 per day and I didn't go because I pay for that one myself.

There is another history one I go to that was during softball playoffs so I missed it.

If they pop up. I go. My P doesn't make us. Although, there have been two or three in the past three years that he has suggested to the teachers. Those that are suggested are generally paid for by the school. The geography one is not but there was no way I was spending that much money.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

In my state, teachers are required to accrue 100 hours of PD every 5 years. Those hours don't have to be outside workshops...in-house study groups and PLCs can count, as well as in-service days. My district is part of a regional teachers center which offers excellent workshops free to teachers. I serve on a regional PD board, serve on a curriculum writing committee, and attend about two additional workshops a year besides the in-house opportunities we have. I'm very fortunate to work in a district that values ongoing professional learning.:love:

8. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Nov 2, 2012

My state also has a PD requirement (even for us non-contracted people, to keep the license active you still need to go) so I've attended quite a few mandatory PD sessions.

I also attend some sessions just because. Having been in college/grad school for about seven years all told, I miss the class environment. My big beef, however, is that the quality of the workshops tends to vary significantly. Many are awesome and you learn a lot but others are the Wikipedia versions of the stuff we know already (like... telling a roomful of special ed teachers the identifying features of autism without going into the application stuff). Overall, I really enjoy it.

9. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Nov 2, 2012

In the past years, I usually (not always) had to go to PD workshops outside my school. At my first school a few years ago, I would go to as many as I could because my school would pay for anything I wanted to go to. At my last school, there weren't as many opportunities, and they didn't typically offer to pay for them or tell us to go, so I didn't. Last year though, they let me go to a bunch of them through the district I'm at now. That helped me land the joub I'm at now:lol:. In the district I'm at now, they do a lot of workshops ALL the time, but they're at the administration building, run through the district. Sometimes they're done by teachers who do these for other schools anyways, and sometimes they're done by known professionals across the country. We can go to what we want, so it's nice. If we go to these after school, it helps with our "merit" pay. The only outside one the school is letting the myself and the other reading teachers go to is the state reading convention. It'll cost the school at least $1,000 for all of us, with the costs to get in and subs for two days.

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Nov 2, 2012

I go to the ones I'm required to attend which varies from 1-2 a year. There are many others offered through the district but they are usually limited to whoever the admins decide they want to attend.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

We had a full day of Professional Development a week ago today. It was mandatory, though we had our choice of which seminars to attend, and a great lunch was provided.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2012

At my current school, Admin will not let us go to off-campus PDs during our 10 contracted PD days BUT they encourage us to attend afterschool/weekend PDs/workshops given by the district - which are not paid. Um, no.

I always enjoy getting a chance to go to off-campus PDs and interact with people outside of my school. Although I teach at a 6-12 school, there are only 2 other Social Studies teachers there, so its nice to be able to discuss ideas with other SS teachers in the district.

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 3, 2012

We have 4 PD days in our district a year. They are held in our schools, and each year the topics change. My district also encourages us to attend outside of school hours PD workshops. Often, they will pay the fee, which is a nice incentive to attend. I have attended 3 math related workshops this way.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2012

There are 2 official ones, but in between teachers will train other teachers in certain areas (one was Googledocs, and the last one I signed up for was Pinterest).

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 3, 2012

I seem to go to a lot throughout the year. Our division expects the grade 1 teachers to meet a lot about the assessments we have to do.