Teacher Training & After Hours, Who Gets Paid?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by isabunny, Feb 6, 2011.

1. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 6, 2011

Just wondering how much training other schools require and if some or most teachers get paid for that training? Also wondering about prep time, breaks, lunch, and after hours cleaning, curriculum planning, ect... and how schools work out how much they are willing to pay you for those hours. At my preschool you are required to have 10 hours training (classes) yearly, plus all the CPR/Fire, plus 5 classes for first year teachers, all unpaid. On top of that they want you to always have your classroom cleaned including emptying trash, filling dispensers, windows, blinds, taking stuff home to wash, ect. At previous work places this was always done by the janitors (of course as teachers you clean all day anyway: spills, accidents, sweeping). My admin. wants us to do all this cleaning in the course of the day, while the students are present. Plus you are required to plan all your curriculum (4 pages a day) a month in advance, and I am suppose to do this while I am teaching the kids. I am so overwhelmed with this new job. I really need the job, and love teaching the kids. I love being busy all day. But this place is so overwhelming and impossible to actually do all they want you to do in the course of the eight hours. Plus you are not paid for so much of the work/training that you do. How does it look out there at other preschools? Is it any better?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2011

I worked in a preschool/day care. We were expected to get our planning done during the childrens' quiet time or nap time. Yes, the plans were very extensive! We usually did plan a month in advance as well because our themes were usually a month. However, if we were doing a 2 week theme, then we planned two weeks in advance.

The coursework and extra training was required merely because it was required by the state to keep our certification. We were not paid extra for it, but might be able to take a school day to attend one with our normal pay.

Lastly, we were expected to clean up after the students, but not to do the daily cleaning. We had a janitorial staff for that.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2011

We have 2 hours a week for changing materials and then an additional 2 hours a week for meeting as a team, planning, etc. We are not required to be with children during that time and there are no children in the classroom during those times.

We get breaks throughout the day

If I have professional development to go to, and it's during a school day, I have two professional days that I can use for it. If the training is on the weekend or in the evening, it's my own time. Most of my trainings I pay for myself, but I can submit the cost to school and they *might* pay for it. And, they might not. It just depends.

5. yoyoteacher

yoyoteacher New Member

Feb 7, 2011

I was recently hired at my school. We get one hour lunch break during a 9 hour (including lunch) day. I do most of my planning during nap time. We are required to have 1 clock hour of PD for every month we work there. If it is offered before staff meeting or through the center (they've signed up for a few PD classes), it is a free class and we get paid for the hours there but not the time driving up there. If it is a class that I find and sign up for on my own, the cost of registering comes out of my pocket but my center will pay me for clock hours.

I plan about a week or two in advance; our plans are due the Wednesday before so it keeps me on my toes. I don't know what I would do if I had to plan an entire month's lessons in one go!

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2011

We are required to have 25 hours of training per year. We are paid for that in December, which is nice because it's just before Christmas. We are given 1 hour of prep time each week and have about 2 hours to work on things while the kids nap. We do all of our own cleaning during work hours.

7. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Feb 9, 2011

Here we are required to take 12 hours of paid training a year plus paid CPR/First Aid training. I have to vacuum in the morning, water the plants, clean my classroom, and do prep all of these chores on my own time unpaid. I go in an hour early, so that I don't have to do these things when the children are there. I take a weekend a month to prepare for all my lessons for the month. When I say a weekend...it literarly takes me many hours on end just doing lesson planning. Since this is my first year teaching, I have compiled a book with all my lessons so that I can reuse them next year. I also do not get reimbursed for all my supplies that I use to do my lessons either.

8. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Feb 28, 2011

i work at a preschool/daycare and am paid salary as part of a preschool grant. i am paid to work 20 hrs per week, so if i stay extra hours or come an extra "daycare day" for a party or something i do not get paid for those hours. i do not get paid for conferences, monthly staff meetings, home visits, or any training classes. other teachers at the center get paid for all those things (for the most part) but because i am paid through the state grant i am not. during conference weeks i probably clock 35 hours and only get paid for 20 hours still.

9. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Mar 1, 2011

I am required to clock 8 hours of in service and CPR/First Aid certification each year. As a school, all the teachers go to two different conventions that cover our in service requirements for the year. I usually choose another workshop/class in addition. My school pays for all in service costs, but I do not get additional pay for attending any in service hours. I am a salaried teacher. However, I work 7:30am-3:45pm, Monday-Friday, but I only get paid for the hours I actually teach(which is 26.66 hours per week), I do not get paid for planning time, lunch duty, noon duty, and after school duty(each teacher has to do lunch, noon, and after school duty once a week), I do have to gather my trash, sweep floors, vacuum, and all other duties a janitor should do. I could have them do more things, but then I have to here them complain. I would rather do it myself than have to listen to people complain. I do not have a set curriculum, so my curriculum is from scratch. I do not have to turn in lesson plans or have a certain amount done.