Teacher Tote Bag

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2018

What is your favorite tote bag to take to work? I'm looking to purchase one soon!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2018

My favorite tote bag is whatever canvas bag I receive free at any conference or PD I attend. They can take a beating, are meant to be and remain tough, and the amount of stuff that can go into them is impressive. If inclined to spend your money, there are many out there to choose from with Vera Bradley is a top choice. You will find that many teachers use the cuter reusable grocery bags. I refuse to spend big bucks on something that truly takes a beating, used to cart stuff from car to room or car to house. I have admired some bags I have seen, but never met one that can take the beating of my canvas bag.

mrsf70 and Backroads like this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 8, 2018

I have had my Thirty One bag for about 4 years and it's holding up great. I don't remember how much it was but it was cheaper than a lot of bags I saw online.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 8, 2018

I have one from Old Navy. It’s huge and I can fill it with a lot of papers and my laptop. The downside is it only has 1 small zippered pocket inside, so I spend a lot of time digging for my keys & sunglasses.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2018

I have a big bag from Vera Bradley. I'm not sure if they still have the same names, but I believe it was called a "Get Carried Away Tote." I've had it for 8 years now and it still looks brand new. You can just throw it in the washing machine if it starts to look dirty. I can fit my regular purse, my lunchbox, and my gym bag in it so I'm not carrying around tons of different bags.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 8, 2018

My love of tote bags is an extension of my love of purses, I think.

I have a lot of different ones that I use for different purposes. I really don't typically carry much to and from work, so I don't need any huge bags.
    • Vera Bradley pleated tote
    • Chaps leather tote
    • Vera Bradley campus backpack
    • Thirty-One organizing utility tote
    • Lands End medium tote

8. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Jun 8, 2018

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 8, 2018

I'm on Team Random Free Tote Bag from Such-n-Such.

10. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 8, 2018

I use a backpack because it’s easier on my back and shoulders than a big bag, but i also have a Vera tote from Vera Bradley that is HUGE and fits all my stuff when I need a break from my backpack.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 8, 2018

I've just been using a very big purse (kinda pretty, a nice shade of green, some inexpensive brand) that is wide enough to put my laptop and papers in it, but also some other things.

12. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jun 8, 2018

I used a Vera Bradley bag the first couple of years of teaching. I loved how much I could fit in it - I could get everything, including my lunch inside it - but I hated how it held no shape so by the time I got home, papers and folders were kind of all over the place. I've used a Thirty One bag the last couple of years and that was definitely better at keeping everything somewhat together, but I wish the straps were a little bit longer. In the winter, when I have extra layers on, they're not quite long enough for me to comfortably carry the bag on my shoulder which is how I really want to carry it. Next year I think I'm going back to a backpack. Maybe not stylish but functional and comfortable. My first couple of years i was taking SO MUCH stuff home every night that a backpack didn't really work, but I've really scaled back finally so I think it'll do.

13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 9, 2018

I use the Stella & Dot Hudson/ Brushed Metallic Tote. Cute but strong.

14. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jun 9, 2018

I have a Michael Kors leather tote that my mom bought me a few years ago. It's not showing any wear and tear and has held up well! I have a smaller one, but I would go with a bigger one because it is not big enough to fit everything in.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 10, 2018

If you want to carry a purse, lunch box, and school stuff in one bag, get the 31 organizing tote. I use the flex file to store my papers and books in.

If you don’t mind carrying things separately, Vera Bradley totes look good for years and years. Throw them in the wash and they look like new. I think mine is called the Vera.

I have both and switch things up through the year.

16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2018

I am deciding between the Vera Bradley and the 31 Tote Bag. I like how the 31 bag is cheaper and has more storage. But I prefer how the Vera Bradley bag looks and that you can wash it too!

I'm petite so I'm wondering if the Get Carried Away Vera Tote will be too large...thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 10, 2018

Get them both! I have waaaaay more than one tote bag, and when I get bored, I swap them out.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 10, 2018

Go to a Vera outlet store if there’s one nearby so you can look inside and hold them. It’s also quite a bit cheaper.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 10, 2018

I have that tote in Patio Pop. I think it was called something else when I ordered it.

20. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 11, 2018

I use the Longchamp large tote as a purse/laptop bag/work bag - all in one.

21. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 11, 2018

I've been looking for the perfect bag, but I haven't found one yet (or at least close to perfect).

I keep thinking that I might want some sort of rolling tote instead. Not sure what the pros and cons would be of this though.

22. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 11, 2018

Aww man, you guys got me looking at the Thirty One bags and now I want a new bag..