Teacher Tardy Policies? School Useless

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by MathBelle, Aug 20, 2006.

1. MathBelle

MathBelle New Member

Aug 20, 2006

I'm a HS math teacher, about to start my 3rd year teaching. I've tried 3 or 4 tardy policies already, and nothing works. Either the students don't respond to it, or it's too complicated to enforce. My school has no tardy policy other than to define being tardy as "when a student is not inside the classroom when the bell rings." So, basically, I'm on my own. I tried detentions after every 3rd tardy, but that was hard to track fairly. And many students just don't care... detentions don't mean anything to them. I've tried easy pop quizzes for students who are on time... that ran into issues.

Students have an 8 min passing period, with a 2 min warning bell. 8 mins, in my mind, is MORE than enough to get across our campus.

I've read about school-wide tardy policies on here before... but does anyone have good teacher created tardy policies that work on uncaring HS students? :confused:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2006

Do they have to go get a late pass from the office? (this would have to be a school wide policy) That way either the office could keep track of tardies (on computer?) and the students would have to go to detention after a certain number of tardies PLUS a note home.....

4. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

They have 8 minutes?!?!? At the school I teach at, they have 3, and very few kids are tardy. And the school is not small....two stories tall and 1/4 mile long from one end to the other. So, about 1/8 miles for the middle school end.

I wish I had a suggestion for you, but I've been fortunate enough to always work at a school with a procedure in place.

5. MathBelle

MathBelle New Member

Aug 20, 2006

No, they don't have to go to the office if they're late. The teachers do do their attendance/tardies on a network computer program... and a lot of teachers were trying to get a tardy policy going this year that would utilize that program so that detentions and other consequences were automatically dealt with by the administration/office... and not us ... but that fell through. I would have loved that, but ... alas... no. Not this year.

6. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

I'm really surprised there is no tary policy at your school. At some high schools, tardies become absences after a certain amount and in order to be promoted and then graduate on time, a student needs to stay under a certain number of unexcused absences. A high school with no policy on tardies.... must be a free for all in the hallways. Especially with 8 minutes passing! WOW. I never knew any high school gave more than 4.

7. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 20, 2006

At my old school..my AP gave us a suggestion
    have a desk by the door with a composition book. The composition book will serve as your tardy book. If the kids come in late then they will have to sign in with their name, the date,time and reason why they are late. That way you can track who is late and you have proof whether the excuse is lame or not. So if you want to enforce the every 3 tardies rule you still could.

8. irisheyes

irisheyes Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

This is just a suggestion....but why not do a sort of reverse psychology and work on a reward system even a contest among the classes if they are the same (example: Algebra 1) instead of a consequences system?

Tell your students that being on time is something they will have to do in real work, but you will reward this class if all students are in the room, sitting in their chairs by the second bell (or whatever is the last bell) for a period of time....the month of September, first quarter, homecoming, etc. Rewards that motivate good behavior--passes of some sort for all those who succeeded in the class -to turn in before the quarter/semester OR you write a "nice" note to the parents for those students. I didn't tell the students I was doing this; it was a surprise.

I did the nice notes and the response was very positive. It took a long time for each student, but the parents are so used to bad notes, a good note (or call) is much, much better.

If the students who are always on time don't want to be "punished" for a select few, then perhaps give them a reward (extra points, homework forgiveness pass, lowest grade dismissed, a take-over quiz and highest of the two recorded). Then for the students who are always late, assign slightly more work or make them come in to your room and erase the board, clean gum from the bottom of chairs, etc.

Sometimes if the students are working for a reward than a consequence, they might be more motivated.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 20, 2006

My biology teacher in 9th grade gave us all 4 red passes at thebeginning of the year. Red passes were good for 5 minutes out of the room, no questions asked... bathroom, "i forgot my book/homework/etc in my locker," water, being late to class, etc. If we didn't have a pass, we were docked points.

We got a second set of 4 in January for the next semester (we didn't know beforehand that we'd be getting more), they could be banked. At the end of the year, they could be turned in for homework passes (which we'd also earned for various things) or extra points.

We really didn't have a problem.

Oh... and at my HS, we had 5-minute passing periods... the first 4 had music, when the music went off, you know you have 1 minute to get to class. Pretty nice. ;)

10. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 20, 2006

Our students have 5 minutes between classes.

School-wide tardy policy:
    First time: teacher warning
    Second time: teacher detention
    Third time: I.S.S.

Should a student not show up for the teacher detention, they are automatically referred to administration, where they receive additional disciplinary measures not only for the tardies, but for insubordination in not reporting to the detention.

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 21, 2006

What kind of issues did you have?

If a student was tardy, I took one of his restroom passes out of his agenda. If he had no agenda, or had already used up all his restroom passes, I considered him 'truant' and called his home and reported it as such. If the family responded at all, it was usually positive. And 'truant' is a scarier word than 'tardy.'

If a student really didn't care and it became recurring, I documented every single time, wrote it up, and sent it to the sheriff and prosecuting attorney, with copies to the parent.

A good prosecuting attorney will send the family an official-looking letter threatening legal prosecution if this isn't cleared up immediately. A prosecuting attorney who won't do it, should be voted OUT in the next election.

Ours was fantastic. Sometimes, he came to school with some cops and talked about what usually became of shiftless, lazy people.

It's time to stop worrying about self-esteem and start showing these kids what life holds for bums.

12. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

Hmmmmm......are we twins, separated at birth??? LOL

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 21, 2006

I agree that building self-esteem is worthless or worse if it's not based on achievement. In my odd little corner of education, however, I see lots of people whose low performance can be attributed at least in part to their confidence having been gutted over a period of years by teachers and/or superiors whose tool for behavior management was the cutting putdown. There has to be a balance.

14. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Aug 22, 2006

i make my middle schoolers sign the tardy log that i have hanging by the door. after three entries they have a consequence that goes with our school discipline plan. We have several steps so it could be anything depending on where they are. Detention, Silent Lunch or a Write Up. Some teachers make the kids copy a letter/essay about being tardy.
    I motivate my kids to get to class on time becuase i have a sponge on the board that I take down 3 minutes after the bell rings. The sponge is a "preview" of the next test or quiz and meant to help them know what to study. I take it down, no matter how many are late and they have to bug someone else to get it after class. After the first few times they learn.

15. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Aug 23, 2006

Our administration is little help as well. They want us to call parents after two tardies, and then turn in each subsequent tardy to result in detention or in school suspension. Well, great, I do that, and then I get the tardy slip back with a note that reads "student conference."

I also have worked out the bribe system with my honors classes. They have a pass good for 3 trips to the bathroom each marking period (for some reason 75% of my honors students are females and we have block scheduling, so I was getting students who were asking to go every week from my class). I don't say that they can use the pass to be tardy (that sounds like permission), but I tell them that they'll lose a bathroom pass when they are tardy. If they haven't invalidated their pass with bathroom visits or tardies, they can use them (one time only) for a variety of rewards:

- turn in a paper one day late
    - turn in homework late
    - put off an unannounced quiz
    - to make up a test after the deadline has passed

Unused cards can be turned in for a dropped low quiz grade or zero homework grade at the end of the marking period.

This system was a real relief because it stopped the students from bombarding me with their excuses and requests for leniency. They had a "get out of jail free" card and simply needed to choose the best time to use it.

I don't use this with my standard classes because they are not really motivated by grades. This sounds like the type of class you are describing. I imagine this must be a school-wide problem that needs to be addressed by administrators running around with bull horns and hauling off kids still in the halls. Until that happens, the students know there will be no consequence for their actions.

Can you refuse to admit them without a pass if they are late? Then they'd have to go to attendance or the office and bother somebody, and that might make the administration more inclined to take charge of it.

16. john_seed

john_seed Rookie

Nov 29, 2006

I have the same problem. Our school has no tardy policy other than "Teachers Handle Tardies In Their Own Classes." Our school used to have one, but they decided to focus the attendance office on getting kids to school rather than making sure they are on time.

Last week I had 19 tardies in my second period class on one day. We have a block schedule. Block 1 is from 8:05-9:45. There is an 11 minute passing period. The next class is an advisory from 9:56 to 10:36. After that, the students have a passing period with a 10 minute break, so they have to be at the block 2 class at 10:57. 21 minutes to get to class and there are 19 tardies!

I started giving out detentions. That didn't work. I kept kids in class for 3-5 minutes when they were tardy...that was not a deterrant. I just stopped enforcing the policy. I gave up.

17. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Nov 29, 2006

At my high school we had 6 minute passing periods, and if you were tardy, you didn't get to come into class. You had to go to "lock out". It was a room where you sat and stared at the wall, doing nothing for the whole class period, and you couldn't make up anything you missed during that class period. Lock out was manned by one of the campus supervisors. There were very few problems with tardiness on that campus.

18. Mr. M

Mr. M Rookie

Nov 29, 2006

I love "tardy rooms." We had one a few years back that worked pretty well until Girlfriend and Boyfriend decided to be tardy together and spend the period staring at one another. Then it caught on, and it turned to social hour...and there wasn't a space big enough to accomodate two or three hundred tardy kids every class period. And the gal supervising was no good, so we hired another (some prison guard lady)...she was no good either, so we tried a few more folks and then said forget this it sucks.

I guess I love effective tardy rooms.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2006

I have a paper by my door with every name on it and 10 boxes. If they're tardy, they have to initial in a box, put the date, and the reason code (r=restroom, t=teacher, o=office, l=locker, and nothing if no reason). If they have a tardy slip, they place it in a box right next to the door.

The repeat offenders have to talk to the assistant principal. I don't have a set number of tardies. I know that one girl has to come a LONG way to get to my class, and she has a bladder issue and has to use the restroom then . . . and she's usually turning the corner to come to the room about the time I'm closing the door. I don't worry about her. Then there's the crew that lingers at the lockers and THEN decides to use the restroom after the bell and mosey into class 5 minutes late. That doesn't fly.

20. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Nov 30, 2006

Long passing periods seem to add to more tardies. Even as adults, the longer we have, the more we put things off...well, most of us!
    4 minute passing periods may seem barbaric but it makes the kids hustle to each class. They KNOW they have NO time to socialize! NONE!!!

21. Mr. M

Mr. M Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

Passing periods...this is a tough issue. My school's passing period is 6 minutes, which I think might not be long enough. I teach in a school whose maximum capacity is (supposed to be) 2500, but we've got 3100 students. Navigating the halls between classes is a nightmare. Forget going to the bathroom or visiting your locker. And the distance between, say, the dance room or the boys' locker room to my room? Easily 1/5-1/4 a mile...while swimming through bodies.

By the way, my district is almost finished with the newest high school...it'll open in August, and that will alleviate some of this insanity.

22. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Nov 30, 2006

I give a detention slip for EVERY tardy..

they serve them at lunch, or if they don't they get Thursday school, if that is not served, then it turns into suspensions..

I like what one of my teachers did once, though. He had a quiz EVERY DAY at the beginning of class. They were always review questions of the day before. He NEVER repeated a question (and some were funny extra credit questions). If you were late, you missed the questions and missed the points. Pretty soon, no one was late.

Wouldn't work at my school though.. "absent" students have "rights"..

23. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Dec 2, 2006

A teacher once told me that students are legally required to get an education, but they are not required to have a chair. I say if they are late, make them stand for the class. People who are on time, earned their chair. It's not horrible to stand for a class period, but they would have to pay attention because they can't lay down, put their head in their hand, or slouch. It might be worth a try.

24. Stooty

Stooty Rookie

Dec 2, 2006

You're a genuis! I love loopholes like that.

When I was in highschool here in AZ, my government teacher would make me do pushups for every minute I was late. I don't remember what the girls did. Admitidly, I was one of the constant tardy types. It was almost like Norm in Cheers. The class expected me to come in late and always erupted into laughter when I did. It just kind of fuled it. The things we do when we're young :D

I'll pay for it, when i start teaching and i get students that were like I was. Oh boy!