Teacher Takeover

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrscornett, Jan 20, 2011.

1. mrscornett

mrscornett New Member

Jan 20, 2011

I just interviewed for a second grade position today and think that I might be offered the job. The second grade teacher went on maternity leave and decided not to come back. It is in the middle of the year and I am looking for advice on how to start the first week so I am prepared in case I do get the job. Any suggestions on what I should do?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2011

I would learn as much about the class already....how long they have had a sub, what rules and procedures there are in place, etc.

Then I would try to change this to fit with what I believe with as little change as possible. I would spend some time introducing yourself and learning about the students. But then I would jump right back into the curriculum.

4. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 20, 2011

Are you in Philadelphia, by any chance?

Three of our five second grade teachers were/are pregnant...!

I would start with your own set of rules, so the students know that you are their TEACHER, not another sub. Make it clear that you are there and are going to stay until the end of the year. Be firm about the rules, especially if there are things that you are changing. It's your classroom, not the previous few teachers'. That being said, make sure you let the students know that you know you're new...if that makes sense.

Also, ask the administration what you need to know. I started at my job halfway through the year and didn't find out about things like email, meetings, etc until three or four weeks in. Despite asking...